BPI-R3 Unable to run 2 ssid's per bandwith

Hi,

I bought this router on Amazon in the package with case and cooler (fan integrated). First disappointment was only 2 thermal pads included, so extra thermal pads ordered for the wireless chips (as the first tests were failing). I am using the fiber port with a TP-Link 1Gb/s SFP, this works perfect, getting 900+ speeds in testing. The sfp or the controlling chip does get around 65 degrees Celcius in normal operations, according to the sensors.

When using the extra pads (different in height, according to the chips heights) I still had trouble keeping the router running. I also created holes above the fan for air intake and at the side for letting air out (opposite side of the connectors), I have it hanging on a wall, so the warm air is going up at the side holes hanging on top, there is noticable flow now.

When using a normal LAN SSID and a guest LAN on the 2 bandwith’s the router got stuk within 2-10 hours. I opened a topic in OpenWRT and the changed network achitecture revealed some config mistakes (see BPI-R3 fail on Guest wireless SSID's - Installing and Using OpenWrt - OpenWrt Forum also for my exported config ). These are resolved now, but still the router failed too soon in the last test. I have statistics running, I don´t think it is overheating now, but only since the last freeze the logging is permanent. In the former router I had cake running to guarantee voice and video consistency, so this is now running too. I understood the router is capable of running much more, but right now I don´t dare to install more software. The router is running more or less stable when using only the main SSID (leaving the guest id off). Still I notice reloading in youtube when watching longer video’s, this never happened with the 8 year old previous router.

How can I troubleshoot this, do also more testing in stretching the limit (faster proof it breaks again, or hopefully the opposite)?

Thanks for your ideas!

Looks like i ordered the same kit, with the 2 pads, heatsink with fan. my average is <50°c, and it’s 20°c in my office. how can you get 65 degrees ??

I don´t recognize the sfp in your screenprint:

i don’t have this sensor in the list…

So you don´t have the same readings so no differences?

I think the unit is failing on performance, who can help or should i opt for a new maiinboard as this looks like failing hardware?

i found how to add manualy the sensor in the statistics, and this is what i’m getting now.

This SFP sensor is the one in ETH1, which is my ONT SFP. it doesn’t see my 2.5Gbps TP-Link SFP to RJ45 transceiver, plugged in SFP2.

Thanks Rooot, nice you found it out and I hope you can find the other sensor too. I don´t have the second sfp active, so I wouldn´t know how to see the sensor and if this is available…

Here’s my readout, even a little cooler:

Sorry for the impolite comment in general: Is there no one able to help diagnose if this device has reason to continue or am I better of returning it?

After three days, I had expected more from people from Bananapi, or is this not common to expect support in their forum?

Do you see anything extraordinary in the kernel log?

Guess on openwrt you can use dmesg also.

What is the output of

ip a

I don’t use openwrt, but Linux os, so can’t help with that. I have the R64 running with guest wifi setup on linux, but not on R3

What power supply are you using ? The one given in the kit is awfull, first of all i would change it…

I changed it, enabled guest network, in less then 20 minutes frozen. PS is not the problem.

Here you go!

Hope you can make some cake of it!

Yes and no.

I do not see the virtual interface for guest wifi at all. Only br-guest bridge, with no interface attached. Are you sure guest-wifi is functional?

Since you bought a development board that you want to use as home router, I would suggest connecting an UART cable and see if there is some kernel output at the time the router starts failing.

Note: On the R3 you need to take care the UART is compatible. See [BPI-R3] hw issues - #2 by simon