[BPI-R3] information

last question I guess, is heatsink for the banana. what would be a good choice ( without fan and with fan )

Loaded banana with two 2.5gbe gbics, one 2tb nvme drive and one EC25-e 4g module. Also the first attempt at a case for the thing. It still needs a lot of tweaking until it fits ok.

photo_2022-10-25_13-37-25 photo_2022-10-25_13-37-33 photo_2022-10-25_13-37-43

It helped alot. it’s what I am using on my attempt to make a case. Thanks! If it ends up acceptable I will release it for everyone.

Having said that, I think this thing needs a metal case that can act as a heatsink for the nvme and cpu.

nice, it this already printed?

if you do not make a metal case, you have walls ~3mm thick which may prevent sfp and rj45 to be pluggin in. in my old case i made a smaller thickness there for ~2mm around these jacks

note that the holes for sd/sim and the bootswitches must be larger than the slot itself to get on it with fingers

yes, I printed it yesterday. right now I’m printing just the front part to make adjustments.

But if I make something usable it will be only temporary. This thing really needs a metal case.

Screenshot%20from%202022-10-25%2015-04-51

currently looks like this: Screenshot%20from%202022-10-25%2015-09-58

It’s basically a remix of a case I found on thingyverse.

1 Like

Hi everyone.

I’m a bit outdated on R3 news. Is the board already released an available on the market?

yes, I bought mine from an amazon seller in Europe

1 Like

I suggest to wait for next hw-revision when reset-bug is fixed.

1 Like

it’s not fixed in 1.3?

what is that reset bug about?

Can you please share the STL file?

Afaik there is only v1.1

Reset-bug: [BPI-R3] information

Should be fixed in upcoming 1.2

@azsenca it is not yet a complete case

Is there a heatsink matchin the 43mm holes on the board? Or are these holes for anything else?

Hi,

R3 seems really nice but I need two radio on 5Ghz, can someone confirm me that I can use this module : https://www.asiarf.com/shop/wifi-wlan/wifi-m-2-card/wifi6-2t2r-dual-bands-dual-concurrents-dbdc-m-2-card-bm-key-1800-ieee802-11ax-2-4g-5ghz-mt7915-aw7915-bmd/ on the M2 slot or not ?

Thanks

I’m curious what is expected performance of BPI-R3 vs my current Turris Omnia.

This is not super scientific method, but does give a rough estimate of what to expect. Could some one run Geekbench 5 for ARM64 and share results? For ex. Turris Omnia gets ~100 SC, ~180 MC (on arm32).

wget https://cdn.geekbench.com/Geekbench-5.4.4-LinuxARMPreview.tar.gz
tar zxf Geekbench-5.4.4-LinuxARMPreview.tar.gz
cd Geekbench-5.4.4-LinuxARMPreview/
./geekbench_aarch64

Unfortunately the geekbench binaries are dynamically linked against uClibc.

If I find more time for that I’ll try running it inside a uClibc container (as Debian uses glibc, OpenWrt uses musl the binary doesn’t run out-of-the-box on neither of them).

How did you actually run this on the Turris Omnia?

I originally run this via lxc container.

However, this should also work (at least it is working right now on my Turris Omnia [just arm64 replaced with armhf, and aarch64 with armv7]):

mkdir /tmp/ubuntu
cd /tmp/ubuntu

wget https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-base/releases/22.04/release/ubuntu-base-22.04-base-arm64.tar.gz
tar zxf ubuntu-base-22.04-base-arm64.tar.gz
wget https://cdn.geekbench.com/Geekbench-5.4.4-LinuxARMPreview.tar.gz
tar zxf Geekbench-5.4.4-LinuxARMPreview.tar.gz

mount --bind /proc proc
mount --bind /sys sys

chroot . /bin/bash

echo nameserver 1.1.1.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
./Geekbench-5.4.4-LinuxARMPreview/geekbench_arm64

Geekbench has some detection issues (frequency and core-count) so maybe results are not right:

System Information                                                                                                                                                      
  Operating System              Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)                                                                                                          
  Kernel                        Linux 6.1.0-rc1-bpi-r3-r3 aarch64                                                                                                       
  Model                         Bananapi BPI-R3 (sdmmc)                                                                                                                 
  Motherboard                   N/A                                                                                                                                     

Processor Information                                                                                                                                                   
  Name                          ARM ARMv8                                                                                                                               
  Topology                      1 Processor, 1 Core, 4 Threads                                                                                                          
  Identifier                    ARM implementer 65 architecture 8 variant 0 part 3331 revision 4                                                                        
  Base Frequency                0.00 Hz                                                                                                                                 

Memory Information                                                                                                                                                      
  Size                          1.94 GB

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/18391168

SoC had only ~43°C maximum without heatsink

Thank you @frank-w.

The detection on ARM is not perfect, but I think results should still be valid.

The comparison to:

I’m actually surprised as those results are pretty good. Slower than RPI4, but still pretty good.

What pakages required by mpcie slot lte module if I build from official openwrt code?