[BPI-R3] Change or add partion to /overlay

Thanks for your other post listing steps to increase eMMC storage space on BPi-R3. I was able to increase my storage space to 1.43GB! However, looking at this discussion I am not sure if increasing it to 1.43GB was such a good idea! Were you able to do the math and figure out what is the ideal storage size for BPi-R3? Considering it has 2GB RAM. Should I Change the size to 764MB as mentioned elsewhere in this thread?

I was trying to be conservative and not exceed the total RAM size of 2GB, but i donā€™t fully understand the math and consequences of using all storage space on eMMC so maybe I should reconsider! I was thinking of bringing it down to 764MB after reading other posts in this thread. Do you have any recommendation?

no, this is special openwrt handling and i do not use openwrt :stuck_out_tongue:

but afair if you map the additional space not to root-partition there should be no problem with sysupgrade, imho overlay-fs is not touched hereā€¦but you should not extend the root-partition with openwrt itself as this is overridden on sysupgrade and backup does not work if too large (depend on available ram).

Is this the correct link below?

Yes, Please scroll down to the last post by Haldi. How to increase useable eMMC space on PBi-R3 and Open-WRT

I have ordered Patriot P300, 512GB, M.2 SSD (P300P512GM28) which is also PCIe Gen 3 x4. Let see how hot this gets. During summer outside temperatures can reach 45.3Ā°C in my area.