[BPI-R2 new image] debian 10 buster image with Kernel 4.19.62

uboot have default config from uEnv_r2.txt from my github. I used 1080p as default because it’s the most common resolution which can be used on most recent TFT/TV, and can be easily overridden by uEnv.txt in BPI_BOOT partition without serial-adapter (by writing to sd with external PC).

so you can add a similar line to your BPI_BOOT/bananapi/bpi-r2/linux/uEnv.txt define own resolution without using saveenv (which may break autoload of uEnv.txt as autorun is already done)

btw. note that pcie-issue not fixed in the image as i got the patch yesterday

Ok, so i can use β€œgraphic=video=my_x_resolution” in uEnv.txt? Is there a way to undefine it in uEnv? Or redefine it as β€œautodetect”? IMHO autodetect works great on most displays, is this definition still necessary? If so may be the best way to define it is uEnv.txt, which can be easily modified on a PC?

P. S. Just wondering :slight_smile:

you can try setting

graphic=

in your uenv.txt for autodetect…for my tft (1280x1024) it does not work, so i leaved it as example (only changed to 1080p)

or use your own resolution (if autodetect not works)

builtin environment is overridden by uenv.txt (via reloadmenu and the autorun=bootcmd)…so if you use same variables in uenv.txt they will be used instead of the builtin…

1 Like

I got it, i’ll try. Thx!

My overall thought was: to keep some fundamental vars hardcoded, and to move some not very important to uEnv.txt, or leave as undefined.

I’ll update on my experiment result :slight_smile:

it is a way…but my intention was: define a base hardcoded and change different things in uenv.txt (only needed parts) for a better user-experience…so if you want a different resolution you have a preset (for reference) in builtin env and you just override it with your values :wink: this way you don’t need to search HOW to change resolution (only look in uenv.txt)

hi

what is the correct way to initalize the internal wifi device with the new 5.4.58 kernel ?

i boot the buster image but no wifi device .

holger

The way is same as in earlier kernel versions.

Using wmt-tools and maybe my wifi.sh (for automatic in rc.local)

thank you frank, wifi is running now .

it was missend the firmware files.

holger

Have not included wifi-files into image because some users don’t want to use it…

Dear temmates,

in kernel 5.4 I haven’t found under General this entries :

CONFIG_TASKSTATS
CONFIG_TASK_XACCT
CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING 

I would need it for htop disk I/O. Did I search it in a wrong place?

.config - Linux/arm 5.4.80 Kernel Configuration
 > Search (CONFIG_TASKSTATS) ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
  β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ Search Results ─────────────────────────────┐
  β”‚ Symbol: TASKSTATS [=n]                                                  β”‚  
  β”‚ Type  : bool                                                            β”‚  
  β”‚ Prompt: Export task/process statistics through netlink                  β”‚  
  β”‚   Location:                                                             β”‚  
  β”‚     -> General setup                                                    β”‚  
  β”‚ (1)   -> CPU/Task time and stats accounting                             β”‚  
  β”‚   Defined at init/Kconfig:464                                           β”‚  
  β”‚   Depends on: NET [=y] && MULTIUSER [=y]                                β”‚  

β”‚ Symbol: TASK_XACCT [=n]                                                 β”‚  
  β”‚ Prompt: Enable extended accounting over taskstats                       β”‚  
  β”‚       -> CPU/Task time and stats accounting                             β”‚  
  β”‚ (1)     -> Export task/process statistics through netlink (TASKSTATS [= β”‚  
  β”‚   Defined at init/Kconfig:490                                           β”‚  
  β”‚   Depends on: TASKSTATS [=n]                  

β”‚ Symbol: TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING [=n]                                         β”‚  
  β”‚ Prompt: Enable per-task storage I/O accounting                          β”‚  
  β”‚       -> CPU/Task time and stats accounting                             β”‚  
  β”‚ (1)     -> Export task/process statistics through netlink (TASKSTATS [= β”‚  
  β”‚           -> Enable extended accounting over taskstats (TASK_XACCT [=n] β”‚  
  β”‚   Defined at init/Kconfig:499                                           β”‚  
  β”‚   Depends on: TASK_XACCT [=n]
1 Like

Great, it was before me! It’s working, htop shows R/W I/O. Thank you again!

Dear frank-w, My R2 was running your Debian build fine until the SD card died yesterday. Actually, I wanted to install the OS on the EMMC before but all my attempts failed and I just kept it running from SD. Today I decided to give it another try but there is a big mistake somewhere in my approch. I read your wiki and flashed the preloader first (with write access). Then I used dd to flash your new Debian image (5.4.58) to mmcblk1. To complete the installation I still need to change uEnv.txt and fstab to boot from the right partition. But uEnv.txt is not there. I looked on mmcblk1p1 and all directories are there but uEnv.txt is missing. Unfortunately it’s also missing on the SD card. If I try to boot from EMMC it wants to load the OS from mmcblk0p2 and waits until timeout.

I don’t know if it makes a difference but I should mention that I booted from SD and integrated the R2 in my network and access it via ssh only and try to install the image on the EMMC then.

Please help me finding my mistake!

Just add uEnv.txt on mmcblk1p1 in bananapi/bpi-r2/linux and add changed root-var to it

1 Like

Thank you for the fast reply! I’ll give it a try.

That was it. Now I regret that I didn’t ask earlier. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi,

Unable to access to https://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:storage#short_install-guide.

Thank you, Philippe

works for me…which error did you get? what do you want to do with this? this instructions are how to create a image step-by-step

Edit: seems i did a mistake with permissions (changed permissions of full wiki instead of single page).should be fixed now