[BPI-R2 new image] debian 10 buster image with Kernel 4.19.62

Which repo do you try to compile? It looks like official and uboot is broken. For mt76 you do not need to replace uboot. And you can use any kernel from my githubs releases.

I’ve just followed steps described on your wiki. (https://fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:wlan#mt76) You mean that first step can be swapped for one of your kernel from github? What should I choose instead of point 1? (build.sh)

The linked part in my wiki was for official 4.4 kernel, but you can try 5.4 from my repo…just install deb from github releases,change uenv.txt to point to new kernel file and test your card

Sorry Frank, I’m little bit confused! :frowning: You advice me by the latest release 5.4-main where 13 assets are downloading this one :

linux-image-5.4.27-bpi-r2-main-dbg_5.4.27-bpi-r2-main-1_armhf.deb

and simply install it?

take the one without dbg :wink: and not the headers

It has been installed without dbg only the image, and the headers had to be also. After installed image dpkg’s thrown a message that it would be nice to have so I decided install it! Now it’s rebooted with the kernel 5.4, but seems to me no ap ar wlan device added! Ip a sh command shows nothing related! I’m able start only onboard wlan with your script! I’ve found something in dmesg :

" [ 13.339230] mt76x2e 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0140 -> 0142) [ 13.353658] mt76x2e 0000:01:00.0: ASIC revision: 76120044 [ 14.147019] mt76x2e 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for mt7662_rom_patch.bin failed with error -2 [ 14.164239] mt76x2e: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -2

"

you need to install firmware for mt7612 :slight_smile: i don’t know if i have added it to 5.4 tree, but you find it in 4.14

files have to be copied to /lib/firmware

I appreciate your help! I don’t know what could I do without your support! :upside_down_face:

throw r2 away and buy a non-developer router :slight_smile:

have added firmwarefiles to 5.4-main (but in utils/firmware folder to have all there)

In a meanwhile I could apply the patch, and started wifi successfully! :crazy_face:

Big NO, I need it! :smile:

Furthermore, how could I learn without having such an expreienced mentor?

By getting a development device which have good community support and an active forum to learn and share the work. I see @frank-w have been always helping everyone in banana-pi forum.

Hi Frank,

I’d like to join my thanks to the many ones on this forum. You do an amazing work:

• the kernel patching, mergin
  • the debian distrib
  • the documentation
  • the support you provide on this forum

I was a bit hesitant with regard to the BPI R2. Too many bad reviews about the lack of support from the manufacturer and then I found this page and the github repo and I thought: Let’s give it a try. And it went very smoothly in the end:

• downloaded the Debian buster image you built
  • dd’ed to the SD
  • booted the BPI R2

and that was it !!! I patched the image with your wifi zip file, installed a few missing packages and now I have my firewall and access point working.

Thank you again.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes everything was only possible because of @frank-w and his hard work towards bpi R2 .

Good to hear that it helped you will all your requirements.

Have fun.

I tried installing a GUI on this image. Tried lxde, lxqt and fluxbox. Everything is installed and launched without errors, but it is impossible to work. The problem with the mouse. The mouse pointer moves very slowly and very late. It’s very difficult to get the pointer to the right place. If only the mouse move very slowly and carefully. Windows and applications open quite quickly and without brakes. Does anyone have an idea why and how to fix it?

And I also tried to install the compiled 5.4-main kernel, x-server does not start, crashes with an error.

Anything in dmesg/serial console? Note that gui rendering (software) needs cpu/memory,so depending on your resolution it may lag because of missing hw acceleration. Lxde should work.

So with the kernel 4.19.62 it will not work without brakes. I have a full hd monitor.

On the router, the graphical interface is not needed. Just wanted to try.

That can be a bit too much for smoothly cursor-move…i tried with my older monitor (1280x1024) and a touch-display (1024x600).ther it is ok…bit laggy but usable

Which error do you get with 5.4-main? In 5.4 i have lima enabled which needs config change to x-server and mesa to run with with hw acceleration…maybe you can try disable lima-module if error is related

https://wiki.fw-web.de/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:hdmi#lima

Updated image with new uboot (2020-10-rc2), new kernel (5.4.58) and debian itself

bpi-r2-buster_5.4.58.img.gz

Image contains now bridge-utils, dnsmasq, hostapd and pppoeconf

Wan should be dhcp enabled,lan0 is fixed ip 192.168.0.11/24

For other details see top post

Hi Frank!

I’ve installed your latest image on my R2.

Most things are good, but i have a couple of questions:

1. As i understood, you use some hard-coded default u-boot config in this image? (fw_printenv doen’t shows anything)
  2. It can be overwrited with some standard environment located at 0x1000000 on sd/emmc (after saveenv in u-boot console i’m able to use fw_printenv/setenv)

3 (Not a question, may be a petition, if #1 is correct) - you use forced 1920x1080 video mode in your image, which is quite tricky to change without UART adapter - my displays are not FullHD, (1280x1024, and 1024x600) resolution autodetect works fine for both of them, and forced 1920x1080 affects visibility. So is it possible to remove forced video mode or to save it to standard u-boot env in your next releases? :wink:

P.S. I’ve successfully resolved my problem with arduino programmed as uart adapter, so i’m fine :slight_smile: