BPI -PicoW-S3 jtag with ESP-prog

Hi everyone! I’ve recently purchased some BPI-PicoW-S3 boards and I’m trying to figure out how to attach the ESP-prog debugger to them. I’m trying to connect to the board with openocd using the following command: openocd -f board/esp32s3-ftdi.cfg

While connecting the board as follows: Vjtag (5V) -> VBUS GND -> GND TMS -> GPIO42 TCK -> GPIO39 TDO -> GPIO40 TDI -> GPIO41

I get the following output: image

the boards come with a micropython firmware inside, and I’m wondering if that can interfere with jtag. Has anyone already tried to connect a debugger to this board?

Thank you so much!

As far as I know,MicroPython currently does not support JTAG debugging.:thinking:

I don’t recommend you to do this, the ESP32-S3 requires no additional peripherals. If you want to use IDF, you can directly connect picoW to computer with USB cable

I’m interested in using C code + JTAG debug. I flashed a C code sketch via USB and then I tried to debug with ESP-prog but without any success.

Since I’m interested in JTAG debug, I think using esp-prog is mandatory (or not?)

Configure ESP32-S3 built-in JTAG Interface - ESP32-S3 - — ESP-IDF Programming Guide latest documentation (espressif.com)

JTAG Debugging - ESP32-S3 - — ESP-IDF Programming Guide latest documentation (espressif.com)

I think these are what you need.

ESP32-S3 have built-in JTAG , so you don’t need connect to any other jtag