BPI-M5 - CoreELEC - root - SD boot

Hi. BPI/SBC newbie here. I have a new M5, and I’m trying to install CoreELEC. I am following the guide (@sinovoip coreelec:bpi [CoreELEC Wiki]). All good until I use the terminal emulator to ‘reboot update’ so as to install CoreELEC form the SD card. But I get ‘permission denied’. Is there a Super User install for BPI-M5? A rooted Android image? (I don’t know why it is necessary to flash android first). I have tried ‘wiping’ the EMMC android OS by interrupting the flash process, so as to try and force it to boot from SD. No good.

Any help much appreciated. I can’t find any info on this - but there must be others who have encountered/resolved it.

Thanks in advance.

I got past this by using ADB to ‘reboot update’ - but this only worked if i used a usb port on my PC that outputs enough amps. If using another one, it would not boot from SD.

Now I can boot up CoreELEC from SD. But now, how do I install it onto the eMMC? The ceemmc tool said the BPI-M5 is not supported. Using the -x option and and accepting the warning, I then get the following:…

Starting CoreELEC eMMC installation tool…

System is not supported: sm1_s905x3_bananapi_m5!

There is NO official support by Team CoreELEC if you continue to run this tool! Continue? [y]: y

eMMC size: 0x0003a3e00000 [16GB]

No CoreELEC installation found on eMMC

Install in dual boot mode, CoreELEC and Android on eMMC Use CoreELEC data from [1] current used SD or USB device [2] existing backup on current used SD or USB device

Install in single boot mode, only CoreELEC on eMMC Use CoreELEC data from [3] current used SD or USB device [4] existing backup on current used SD or USB device

Please choose one option? [1/2/3/4]: 3

Free space of ‘partition CE_FLASH’: 512MB Warning: Could not find ‘dto’ partition! Could not find ‘CE_STORAGE’ partition! Failed to read size of partition ‘CE_STORAGE’! Failed to create new partition table! CoreELEC-BPIM5:~ #

I got past that by choosing the dual boot install option. All good. Now…to work out how to power it on with my Logitech Harmony remote. Any assistance most appreciated.