Booting from SSD/SATA

maybe we need waitting a H8 board ,all spec is same as you think. you know what i mean.:slight_smile:

Not all customers need SATA functons, our robot team needs M3 powerful GPU for video processing. Don’t waste time to discuss SATA on mobile SOC series, since we choose Allwinner SOC, we will face non SATA fate.

Nora

Yeah, thx for confirming that it’s absolutely useless to talk to you. I was talking about a not so well known feature that is not related to SATA (I did not even mention the word ‘SATA’ at all): Using the USB OTG port to compensate from your poor USB design on the M3.

My only hope is that potential customers first check the forums to get the idea what to expect from a vendor like you. :slight_smile:

@sinovoip: And of course you still have not the slightest idea what’s going on and think I would hate you personally? Could be funny if it’s not that sad that you’re involved in development, documentation and support. A person not able to think from a user’s perspective at all :frowning:

we not any limited for you account , at first ,you say many times delete your account, up to now you at here ,why you alway hit youself face???

you even not our client, you get free sample . it is lionwang send to you. You should be grateful for and help us.

You are a very special purpose. send you a word "别搬起石头砸自己的脚“

Hi Nora,

What TK would like to point out is, that the A83T comes with 3x USB links, but you just use 2x of them. These are the 3 USB links: 1x OTG, 1x Host port 1x HSIC.

CubieBoard5 (H8) Since the only USB 2.0 host is connected to the SATA bridge chip, the board has a SMSC USB3053 USB 2.0 HSIC hub chip, providing 2x Type-A USB host ports on the board. This USB3053 chip is controlled via I2C. Linux mainline kernel provides a driver (“usb3053”) for it. 1x OTG MicroUSB

M3 In opposite to CubieBoard5, the M3s hardware design does not make use of all USB connections offered by the SoC (A83T). The HSIC port is connected to the Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port USB hub. On this hub is attached the USB-to-SATA bridge and the 2 available USB Type-A ports. Therefore these 3 connectors have to share the bandwidth of a single USB2.0 connection. 1x OTG MicroUSB

This is a design flaw and should be changed with the next batch, like you did with the Power-Jack :+1:. As it gets so hot it would be good to deliver next batch with a big heat-sink.

Dear Tido,

I can understand TK thought, he insists 4 x USB ports, he doesn’t care SATA since its speed is slow. But spec is not my own decision, Lion expects customers feedback. I’ll discuss with our team members how to keep 4 x USB port for next project.

Nora

Dear Nora,

Sure, I understand that you work in a team.

The point I wanted to make above is a bit different, the SoC A83T comes with 3x USB links, namely: 1x OTG 1x HSIC 1x Host port

On the M3 you make only use of: 1x OTG = MicroUSB for OTG connection :+1: 1x HSIC = connected to the Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port USB hub :+1: 1x Host port = is not used :frowning2:

All the data has to go through two (2) USB connections to the A83T instead of using all three (3). This is a bottleneck which can be solved by just changing PCB design :slight_smile:

This is a design flaw and should be changed with the next batch, like you did with the Power-Jack . As it gets so hot it would be good to deliver next batch with a big heat-sink.

Cheers Tido

Quite the opposite. I talked about shared IO bandwidth, why it’s bad to not use an available USB host port and why it’s bad to use the slowest USB-to-SATA bridge when better chipsets exist (see above).

And all you as the responsible Product Manager understand is ‘insists 4 x USB ports’. No more questions.

In order to support developers demand for real SATA, we created a new project - M2 Ultra based on Allwinner R40. Pls find its spec by https://www.gitbook.com/book/bananapi/bpi-m2-ultra/details

Allwinner showed off M2 Ultra at APC 2016 on 8/18 by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcEoAUZZAWw

R40 spec by http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/17/allwinner-r40-quad-core-arm-processor-successor-of-allwinner-a20-supports-sata-gigabit-ethernet/

Nora

m2 Ultra would be pretty cool… Still with the 2gb Ram which helps… My M3 having too many issues with hardware support and tweeking everything is getting to be a pain, power power also was dodgy when I got it…

Will look to see if I can get a cheap one to try it out.

Dear James,

BPI M3 updates images which may solve your problems, its power improvement from micro USB to DCIN connector.

If you need low cost model, M2+/H3 price is cheap.

Nora