Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 router board with MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880),4G RAM and 8G eMMC

Have you tried passive heatsink? I have some 30x40mm heatsinks which could be put with thermalpad on sfp slots

no not yet, as mentioned, iā€™ll have a look at that when the case is finished and on my site. the initial question was from ptthst, i was only mentioning that sfp+ to rj45 adapters can get very hot.

Seems like tops is removed from sdkā€¦

https://git01.mediatek.com/plugins/gitiles/openwrt/feeds/mtk-openwrt-feeds/+/f2b633103ef43d580ff497c2c47a050ea2656d56

There is a note about tarball,but no idea how this should be archieved

Ok thanks. Is there a seller/reseller for this module? I didnt found it. I only see the 1310TX, the 1490RX is part of the G/EPON spec and so not printed? I also found on fs: GPON ONU Stick with MAC SFP 1310nm-TX/1490nm-RX 1.244G-TX/2.488G-RX.

Futher more I am a little confused. The SFP on the R4 are fixed 10G modules, how can a 1.2/2.5G module then work?

The mac behind the sfp slot can be switched between 10G (usxgmii) and 1G/2.5G (sgmii via lynxi driver). All between needs to be done by the sfp (mostly need a phy on the sfp or handle lower speed via ipg)

I think 1490 is part of the spec, so not printed by default. For reseller, I donā€™t have an idea for that eitherā€¦

can you please open a new topic for this?

1 Like

Hey, could you give a hint, how can I use your kernel (not default kernel from OpenWRT - it is now 6.6)? I would like to make a test. Thanks

EDIT: nevermind. For others, in include/kernel.mk there are two variables:

CONFIG_EXTERNAL_KERNEL_TREE
CONFIG_KERNEL_GIT_CLONE_URI

That should be enough hint for dev.

Same again.

I do not know this but maybe someone elseā€¦

This information in wrong in the specification of the R4 board.

Supported interface modes for the SFP+ cages of the R4 are: SGMII, 1000Base-X, 2500Base-X, 5GBase-R, 10GBase-R, USXGMII

So yes, also 1.25Gbps (= 1000Base-X or SGMII) and 3.125Gbps (= 2500Base-X) SFP modules can work fine with the R4.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for answer @frank-w , butā€¦ I thought the forum was for providing answers, especially since you already have such knowledge (sometimes you also brag about the progress of your work). I participate in the life of many communities, and from time to time I also encounter such ignorance when it comes to questions, which is a pity. I thought that such a thing didnā€™t happen on this humble forum. I was just searching for an answer or even simple hint where to search - not everyone here is an OpenWRT, kernel or C developer.

Yes but not all questions related to a board mixed in 1 thread. It makes the answers hard to find for other users having the same question.

I do not bragā€¦i give updates so other user have not to ask agaian and again for the stateā€¦like for uboot nvme or lro/rss.

Why do you encounter ignorance here? I answered your question as far as i know (that i donā€™t) as pleased you to create separate thread to not mix different discussions in one big thread.

Iā€™m not using openwrt and so cannot answer this questionā€¦sorry for that. Iā€™m using debian where i easily can replace kernel as it is lying around on separate partition (modules in rootfs,but accessible from hostpc with card-reader) unlike in openwrt where kernel is written somewhere in the image and loaded via offsets.

Thanks for reply. Agree, thread is long, but still it is related to the same device. I donā€™t think that creating new thread will help somehow, but ok. Sorry for the offtop. Thanks for fixing the FAN - works good on my device.

Yes it helps much (and is rule in most other forums). It is easier to follow a discussion about one problem. If multiple issues are discussed it is hard to follow and if someone else searches for same issue it is easier to find when threads have titles with the problem and the board. Thats why most threads are prefixed with the boardā€¦please do so too.

So 1 problem question per thread (after searching for existing threads) with short title including board and leave the board announcement threads from vendor for generic questions (release dates,new hw versions, and such things targeting the vendor).

Iā€™m not sure this is enough because source is not enoughā€¦you have to specify a git branch (when not using the default main/master),a defconfig (selected via build.conf/sh in my tree) and maybe additional steps (e.g. using the right image and pack into a fit image itb-file)

@danpawlik not sure if you point to frank-wā€™s build - but to point it out: Since updating to todays snapshot r26300 the pwm fan also works with autogenerated builds from OpenWrt Firmware Selector

Big thanks to all involved to make this happen!

2 Likes

Good news indeed, just tested the fan with r26302.

Is there any good way to tweak the fan curve (ideally without patching the kernel :slight_smile: )? Mine idled at 56C without fan (no top on the case ATM) vs 45C with the fan, I am totally fine with keeping the fan off in that case. In defense of the fan, I canā€™t hear it even right next to it.

Can you please stop hijacking the general threads? The fan settings (set trippoint temp via sysfs) are listed in some fan related threads and in my wiki

First, thanks for creating a cost/performance effective router.

Please clarify how open source hardware the BPI-R4 is, to help you understand the clarification Iā€™m looking for, I would like if you could answer the following questions one by one.

1.0 - Which parts of the BPI-R4 is open source hardware?

1.1 - Which parts of the BPI-R4 is not open source hardware?

2.0 - Is the MediaTek MT7988AV instruction set architecture(ISA) open source?

2.1 - If it is open source, please provide link to itā€™s documentation?

3.0 - Can you also list all closed source firmware regardless of if itā€™s embedded in silicon or not?

Looking at BPI-R4 chip manufacturers, it looks like the following hardware components are closed source hardware components: the ā€œUSB 3.1 Gen2 Hub Controller VL822-Q7ā€, the ā€œMediaTek processor MT7988AVā€, the ā€œSamsung ROM - eMMC 8GB KLM8G1GETF B041ā€, the ā€œSamsung RAM - DDR4 K4AAG165WA-BCWEā€.

Hi everyone I canā€™t find the full schematic of this product I canā€™t find about DDR4 circuit and power circuit part and the blocked part about mt7988a where can I find this?