Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 router board with MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880),4G RAM and 8G eMMC

@simon I have one question regarding DRAM traces on board. I noticed, at least for DDR4, that many board route the circuits in a weird way, this is apparently to make them same length and improve stability.

On R4 I don’t see this pattern, is it achieved in another way?

only need to make the clk traces equal in length, and have DQ calibration for data traces.

1 Like

Hello everybody,

do we know if the current BPI-R4 revision is the last? I read something about when using the NVMe port one of the sfp+ ports doesn’t work correctly. Is that fixed?

Afair this is fixed in last version (1.2) and nvme put the i2c down so both sfp and the other devices connected to the same i2c are not usable (eeprom,rtc).

But have not this version

So that’s for before 1.2 revision?

Sorry but I haven’t heard about a revision 1.2. If someone has information about “Rev 1.2” please share it!

For me the case was solved:

You can tape off these 2 pins:

or desolder these two resistors:

Because this is a development board (not for end consumers), it make sense for me there will never be revision 1.2. But may be I’m wrong?

Thought v1.2 is done with fixing this pcie issue (removing the 2 reistors) ,but can be wrong. I only have till v1.1 and taped the 2 pins.

Any news about wifi module ?

3 Likes

is there any kind of roadmap/status/overview whats currently in wip and whats done? e.g. wifi, antennas, porting to kernel 6.9, etc.?

About measured memory bandwidth on R4. I did some research and safe to conclude R4 is good here.

50-ish to 60-ish percent real bandwidth of the theoretical maximum is about the norm on ARM SBCs. For example, look at Raspberry Pi 4 and etc here: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=271121&sid=f771d50be99d55c700cd6aa9a14f36e1

So nothing to do with the memory traces. Nothing to worry about here. :wink:

Any news about wifi module ?

Take a look at here → Banana Pi BPI-R4 BPI-BE14 Wi-Fi7 NIC module - #52 by Lee-7723

Hey friends I recently purchased the WLE600VX (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006980760083.html) wifi card to connect it to my router (banana pi bpi-r4) and the router fails to recognize it. when I run the command “lspci” the output return empty. I tried to install the following packages also without success: ath10k-firmware-qca988x kmod-ath10k.

Has anyone managed to solve this case by any chance?

they are incompatible, see also BPI R4 doesnt detect 2nd PCI card [solved] - #14 by oli

Please search in forum and do not use general threads for specific peripheral questions.

Ath cards are known not working

hey. version with 1xstp and 1x2.5gbe with poe is avaible in shop? or must solder yourself?

you can contact [email protected] ask support

How to setup or inplement the AFC(Automated Frequency Coordination) in 6GHz? Hardware:Banana pi R4+WiFi7:BPI-R4-NIC-BE14 We have already completed the AFC DUT test Harness on the computer(6 GHz AFC Resources | Wi-Fi Alliance). Is there any information about AFC?

AFC requires, well, automated frequency coordination. This entails something like running afcd (having it connect to the coordinating organization) and then hostapd (or equivalent) with its support.

I’m not aware of any publicly usable implementations of the former just yet. You have to use the low limits that are allowed without AFC.

Thanks,your answer is useful to me. Maybe the “afcd” is what i want. Like these features:[PATCH v7 1/4] hostapd: afcd: add AFC daemon support (Linux Host AP)

FYI. A different vendor’s board has similar, if not exactly same, traces between MT7988a and memory chips.