Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 router board with MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880),4G RAM and 8G eMMC

Try setting phy-mode to sgmii in DTS (via overlay)

Post a kernel log (with debugging info)

we should move the software test things out of the hardware-thread…and split them to specific topics (like “BPI-R4 SFP support / testing”)

i have same issue with my 10G SFP, sfp is correctly recognized, but no link gets up

2 Likes

What issue? What brand and model ? For me hp dac and finisar transceivers works like a charm.

Thanks a lot for your tests and feedback!

H!fibre 10g fibre sfp+ with dango_2 branch,rx power on both ends in range but no link…sfp were working with older drivers…

@oli your product string is “GLC-BX-U-C” so it is not your quirk make 1G possible

See:

all is working except wifi. i plugged in a compex wlv600 and a compex wlv900, compiled ath9k and ath10k in the image but… iw list shows nothing. also dmesg shows nothing. i can see ath9k and ath10k in lsmod. anyone an idea?

Better check if the driver for the hardware is enabled in the kernel .config

for me both mpcie-slots are working (11300000 & 11310000) with a mt7615 card

root@bpi-r4-v11:~# lspci
0001:00:00.0 PCI bridge: MEDIATEK Corp. Device 7988 (rev 01)
0001:01:00.0 Unclassified device [0002]: MEDIATEK Corp. MT7615E 802.11ac PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter                           
root@bpi-r4-v11:~# lspci                                                                                                                    
00:00.0 PCI bridge: MEDIATEK Corp. Device 7988 (rev 01)                                                                                     
01:00.0 Unclassified device [0002]: MEDIATEK Corp. MT7615E 802.11ac PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter                                    

using 6.7-dango_2 tree from my kernel repo

i guess his cards need usb or any other data-lane to work…r4 mpcie-slots are pcie only

And again be aware to have sw4 off,else you will brick other cards (12v is only for bpi wifi card)

1 Like

Question for Banana Pi folks I am already using BPI-R3 and now want to do it the same with BPI-R4, but main line support is still unavailable from OpenWRT latest build. When shall that happen?

Also what type or form of hardware acceleration off load is available? in R4 and how much of it will be supported in software?

please give devs a bit time to do proper support…we are currently working on RSS/LRO to reach 10 Speed on the SFP, but it is not working yet, in parallel we upstreaming the currently working drivers/changes to mainline

you cannot expect bying a brandnew board to have already full software support in mainline :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What you want for the BPI-R4, I’ve done with R3 → buying the R3-Board as an “enduser” in a time of an unfinished software. It was a good choice for me, because i want to work into openwrt. But I could not provide development support. I have to live with that what I get :roll_eyes:.

Consider 1 Year of waiting :melting_face:. The wifi 7 modul is not even released :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m there right now, watching the latest developments for the BPI-R4 and thinking about using it as a fiber router in my new home. Debating whether I can manage the work in progress or if I’d rather buy the BPI-R3 instead (or a fritzbox fiber, but that would take all the fun and flexibility away).

Hello Norman,

I’m also very interested in the BPI-R4. And this questions → “should I buy it”, is also in my head! The answer is simple → yes, no , yes, no … :wink:

If you want to use a fibre connection, the answer is simple (for me). My provider offers max 1.000 Mbit/s bandwith and the R3’s SFP could handle 2.500 Mbit/s. Why need 10.000 Mbit/s of R4?

Answering the question for connecting this routers with a cellular modem is not easy. R3 has a USB 3.0 port but mini PCI-E (for modem) only runs with USB2.0 speed. The R4 has USB 3.2 speed? If I look on the price of an Quectel RM5… 160€ is the lowest i found (EC25 is between 30€ an 40€). For the “modem decision” the answer is clear. But does an “NO” for Quectel RM5… is a “NO” for R4?

For the R4 speaks the training period (spend for R3). I’m not sure who you are, but if you decide for the R4 you can grow with this router. Yes, at this point there is no shapshot (https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/), no case, no wifi modul and I’m not even sure about fan … . So, this is an early start. You may will spend in addition more mony and more time for “get it run”. But if you like this cutting edge devices buy R4.

A simple mony question I’m asking to myself: will it be less expensive buying the R4 board and wifi modul together?

If you want to start with the software and not care about mechanical parts maybe buy R3. But if you want to do “special things” like solving cooling problems, using a cellular modem or some of the 26 pins, than you will have to build your own case or modyfi the common BPI case. This may speaks for R4.

I live in a small room and I’m interested in power consumption of R3 AND R4. In the last days i do noting else comparing different modes of the EC25 cellular modem and try to turn if off. In case of the wifi 7 modul I ask myself about the possibility of upgradeing the R3 with a Wifi 7 card?

I’m wishing you a clear mind on the day you make the decision! In this forum you will find smart people (not me) who may can help you. And this is why I’m hoping you decide against the Fritzbox :wink:.

2 Likes

Hi, is it possible to enable secure boot on the BPi-R4?

Basicly it should be possible as all parts (atf,uboot, Linux-Kernel) are opensource.

But you have to implement it by yourself

Thanks,

Is it possible to program keys into MT7988’s eFuses?

It is possible that r4 ethernet/switch driver does not yet support 100M,you can look with ethtool which modes the (dsa-) port supports

Mhm,but your log says it does…but not stable

hello there,

I am interested in the R4 and WIFI-7. As a newbie in Router-HW and OpenWRT I could not find an answer if it is possible to ditch my combined modem and router which has WIFI 5. (Type: CH7465LG-LC unitymedia, DOCSIS with coax cable connection, cable internet Download 150Mbit/s; Upload around 30Mbit/s ) Is it possible to add a modem into R4? (with SFP?) Will it has Bluetooth and Thread (for Smarthome-applications) ?

I have to wait for the Wifi-7 Board anyway until I start with it. Thanks for your input.

Hey everyone, I created a dirty patch adding multiple ppe support, I currently lake the equipment to test if everything works as it should. If anyone wants to give it a try take it from here

2 Likes