Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 router board with MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880),4G RAM and 8G eMMC

Really great, thanks very much for your answer.

So this would mean that, using it with an Software/OS like PFsense which is based on FreeBSD it would (probably) work in meaning, that there is no hardware/layer 1 limitation?

… Could probably someone clarify the information in? :

thanks for testing. did you try that with OpenWRT?

yes, [WIP/RFC] mediatek: switch to Linux 6.1 and add BananaPi BPi-R4 by dangowrt · Pull Request #14140 · openwrt/openwrt · GitHub - i checked out that branch, did a ./scripts/feeds update -a && ./scripts/feeds install -a && make menuconfig, configured for my needs and built it. its not the one from sinovoip, so … no idea when/why this will be implemented to have 1GbE or other modes than 10GbE

It is possible. I use a gpon ont sfp with 2.5gb down. I use kernel of Frank,the 6.7 django-2 version.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the info.

can you give some more information? which kernel is that and how did you get it working with openwrt? i assume you mean: https://github.com/frank-w/BPI-Router-Linux/commits/6.7-dango_2/ are you 100% sure you have this kernel up and running with bpi r4? because it looks like it only supports bpi r3

Yes it supports r4,just change board in build.conf to bpi-r4 and run build.sh (importconfig,config and then without arguments)

What have you downloaded? It looks like you try to build openwrt with it

Hy. Yes, it is this kernel.

I don’t use the build script, i do manually ( i have token a lot informations from the build script of Frank to do mine, to adapt to my project).

If you need, i can post the part of my script which is for the build and compilation of the Kernel.

I add a quirk in the sfp.c to enable the 2.5g for my sfp fpon onu module (fs).

My build-script exects the official non-openwrt gpt is present (also created in my uboot repo). It cannot replace kernel in openwrt

i am no embedded dev, so i have no idea what you mean with “also created in my uboot repo” - what is created in your uboot-repo? the gpt? but when i create the gpt, the OS is missing? or does your uboot repo create that too? when the official non-openwrt gpt is expected, i assume i have to use GitHub - BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-R4-OPENWRT-V21.02 - because thats the official image (afaik) - and this is openwrt, only in old. or is there any other image? do i have to build that repo myself or is there some binary i can use?

i have seen you are german (me too btw): “ich versteh nur noch bahnhof”. is there any sort of guide or documentation how to use your kernel? i would love to test it but its really hard to understand how to continue or how to work with that

Creates basic image without userspace (designed for debian/ubuntu) and kernel.

https://github.com/frank-w/u-boot/releases/download/CI-BUILD-2023-10-bpi-2023.10-2023-10-28_1121/bpi-r4_sdmmc.img.gz

You can use this as base to unpack your rootfs (downloadable via debootstrap) and kernel to it (with build.sh from kernel repo after rootfs is done).

I have a repo for creating full image (including rootfs and kernel),but because it have no lts-kernel build yet i have not added r4 yet

Just note: r4 ist not end-user-ready yet

1 Like

just to be clear that i understood that correctly:

first i create the partition layout with https://github.com/frank-w/u-boot/releases/download/CI-BUILD-2023-10-bpi-2023.10-2023-10-28_1121/bpi-r4_sdmmc.img.gz, means gunzip bpi-r4_sdmmc.img.gz && dd if=bpi-r4_sdmmc.img of=/dev/sdc

then i create my openwrt image from GitHub - BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-R4-OPENWRT-V21.02, and extract the content of the targets/bananapi-sdcard.img.gz to BPI-ROOT (which was created in step 1)

then i create the kernel and select “install to SD” - is this correct?

Openwrt packs all into an image where you cannot easily unpack rootfs/kernel to store it in another image…if you are familar with debian you can use my rootfs on my gdrive after writing the img from uboot-repo

i would love to use anything that already exists. i just need some information how to use it. the probably easiest would be if someone could publish their .img, so i only need to write it to sd, if thats somehow possible.

i have updated my script to allow creating debian/ubuntu-image without kernel (so you can flash it and install kernel from every branch later)

once upload finished (img.gz + md5) you can download image here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12u0af8eUu-ATqse4-Qg5cTYfe2XXtwQu?usp=drive_link

make sure you create uEnv.txt and set fit= to your filename after install

but we should discuss further in separate thread…

take care, its not possible with openwrt. the django-2 kernel is for debian only(!), at least for the moment. i am currently trying to get it working. the sd boots now. i will update the documentation that i started below. but as mentioned, this is for debian, not openwrt, so no luci etc.

I only have an ArchLinuxArm .img

You can just use it, or replace the rootfs (except modules and systemd/network and such)

I’m planning to use bpi-r4 as my main router (10g wan and 10g lan) but I need also to use it as VPN gateway (with wireguard protocol) to a VPN provider: do you have some Filologic 880 benchmarks with wireguard?

does that support 1GbE on eth1?

Haven’t tried all that much, it is the dangowrt kernel…