Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 BE14 - Pigtails and Antennas

Hi. I bought this product https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005007523900753.html?spm=a2g2w.orderdetail.0.0.2fcb4aa6kYnJBT&sku_id=12000041139429865 But the board is different from the original in the photo and video. Some elements are not soldered. Is this ok? ))

https://youtu.be/hg5pSbc_C68?si=77shEJDUVtInkf4a&t=69

Other topics (more suitable) are closed for some reason.

Edit: offtopic,but answered here: Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 BE14 - missing components - #2 by simon

My board is missing those SMDs too. It’s common practice for electronics manufacturers to cut out superfluous components going from a prototype to a release product. Nothing to worry about.

Sorry to tell you that, but their is an explanation why the other (more suitable) topics are closed:

Because these people have done what you have done :face_with_peeking_eye:

As you have already noticed is this the chat for pigtails and antennas. NOT for missing components!

I created a new chat for your topic:

The button to create a new topic is on the main page at the bottom right :slightly_smiling_face::

grafik

https://forum.banana-pi.org/

There are several tri-band dipole antennas for WiFi 7 from different brands for sale on Mouser:

Here they sell the new tri-band dipole antenna for WiFi 7 from ALFA Network:

Information

I have asked ALFA Network on their official website if this new WiFi 7 antenna really exists and if Rockland is an authorized distributor and they answered me this:

What’s the best antenna I could buy

I think these pigtails with right angle RP-SMA connector and RG178 cable would be better for BPI-R4 and BPI-R3 than the regular ones, maybe the length of the cables should be 20 cm for BPI-R4 and 25 cm for BPI-R3:

AliExpress Links:

To pass the antenna wires under the board and make it look nice and clean, as @as_jt shows here:

About the tri-band antennas mentioned above, I don’t know, someone has to buy the antennas and test them in the real world, maybe @VA1DER can find out by looking at the datasheets.

According to @VA1DER the order of the antennas from the best to good, would be like this:

Dipole antenna

1. Taoglas: GW.52.A153 ---------------------------------- (Datasheet)
  2. TE Connectivity: ANT-W63WS6-IPW1-RPS ----- (Datasheet)
  3. KYOCERA AVX: X1005800-W5DRMB ------------- (Datasheet)
  4. Amphenol RF: ST1228-40-501-A ------------------- (Datasheet)
  5. Taoglas: GW.59.3153 ----------------------------------- (Datasheet)
  6. Joymax: TWX-614XRS3B ----------------------------- (Datasheet)
  7. Joymax: TWX-180BRS3B ----------------------------- (Datasheet)
  8. Joymax: TWX-721XRS3B ----------------------------- (Datasheet)
  9. ALFA Network: ARS-NT5B7 -------------------------- (Datasheet)

Monopole antenna

I’ve added one of the best monopole antennas in case anyone wants to test it.

Information about dipole and monopole antennas:

wow, theyre expensive, are they charging for 1 antenna or 2

“Cheap is expensive”

The older ARS-NT5B dual band antenna from ALFA Network is cheap on eBay:

Maybe you can buy three ARS-NT5B dual band antennas for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and three tri-band antennas mentioned in the next post for the 6/7 GHz band.

And if you want the best antennas for all bands (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6/7 GHz) then buy 6 good tri-band antennas, although it will be more expensive.

1 Like

The first two have good data sheets. The third has a very weak one.

Antenna 1 and 2 look to have similar characteristics. Antenna 2’s data sheet is more comprehensive and includes data on the ground plane in two orientations. For our purposes, the closest match is “On 9x15 ground plane bent”. Antenna 2 appears to be a little superior to 1 for 2.4GHz efficiency with ground plane. It’s hard to compare them at 5 and 6 GHz because antenna 2 splits their data into different board orientations, and antenna 1 doesn’t. That said, I suspect antenna 1’s orientation is 15x9, or at least it looks that way in the diagram, and if that’s the case then antenna 2 appears to have somewhat better efficiency at 5 and 6 GHz also.

Antenna 3 only publishes VSWR data and it appears to be free-space measurements only, so it’s really hard to compare.

When someone goes to all the work to create proper data sheets free-space and ground-plane VSWR/Return Loss/efficiency charts and proper 3d radiation patterns, that bumps the price up.

2 Likes

Why would you need tri-band antenna’s? The BPI-R4 uses 3 dual-band antenna connections for the combined 2.4/5 GHz band and 3 single band antenna connections for the 6 Ghz band. I would invest in 3 good dual-band 2.4/5 GHz antenna’s and 3 good single band 6 GHz antenna’s.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your comment and your help.

Yeah ok, I’m convinced on buying 6 of antenna 2, as the antennas that comes with the wifi card are horrible, the barely work on the 2nd floor of my house

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it, gonna buy the rg178 cables from Tuolnk and the 6x antennas from taoglas

1 Like

If it’s not too much trouble, could you give me your opinion about this older tri-band antenna from Taoglas compared to the previous ones:

The dip in return loss falls outside the 2.4GHz frequency range on the board orientation that best matches the R4, which is unfortunate. It may be a little poorer performing at 2.4GHz. I like how closely the efficiency curves match between straight and bent (bent tends to be worse), but they don’t publish those curves broken down by board orientation. All the board orientation breakdowns are just return loss at 2.4GHz. So it’s really hard to compare. What I see looks good, and if those efficiency numbers pan out it’s a good antenna. But it’s hard to know how it will perform on an R4 bent.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom.

So best to go for the other one I guess

As far as I know, and I may be wrong, both tri-band dipole antennas from Taoglas are good, but the “gain” of the older antenna is 3 dBi on most bands and the “gain” of the newer antenna is 5 dBi on most bands; the one with higher gain ratings will give you a little extra range, but you pay more for it.

Information about antenna “gain”:

2 Likes

Cool thanks, the stock ones are horrible I can’t even get a signal upstairs in my house and if I do it’s running at 5mbps lol, compared to my router provided by isp that can do 300mbos in my weakest room

1 Like