Banana Pi BPI-R4 heatsink and Case design

Hi @kvic where did you find that heatsink because all the 50x50mm heatsinks that I have found have 4 holes.

Hello,

thanks @kvic for your post.

As my cheap heatsink arrived, I did the same test as you with pretty “same” results:

• ambient room temp: ~29˚C
  • idle temp: 50.4˚C
  • peak temp: 58˚C
  • peak power: did not measured

The main difference is, that my heatsing is smaller 38x38mm but with 30mm in height:

1 Like

I am wondering if anyone tried something like https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006281231245.html ? Will this stay on the CPU if i use thermal tape? Or is it possible to somehow get those push pins, create the holes and create a “DIY” heatsink?

Do you have a link to aliexpress or a full product name?

I am not big fan of thermal tapes, and I used them only when ther is not any other option. I used them only on SATA multipliers where was not any heatsing on the chip. It looks ok, but the heatsink is very small. As I prefer fan-less sollution, i try the heatsing with 30mm of height and used thermal grease with about 15W/mK on cpu and the ram chips.

I forgot to add link to @kvic post. Please take a look, it is possible to make your own custom heatsink with the right screws: Banana Pi BPI-R4 heatsink and Case design - #117 by kvic

https://aliexpress.com/item/4000107291369.html?spm=a2g2w.favourites.mywishlist.92.6ba14aa6y0eWV5&sku_id=12000030307164246

I’ve just noticed that it 1mm distance difference between holes … after my cooler from R3 finally arrived. Ive changed R3 cooler a bit and need some tools to finish my copper thermal pad under it. Im going to use thermal paste instead of thermal silicon pads or tapes the final result will looks like … I drilled new holes and cut new threads for the bolts.

What are the chances we can get a full body passive heatsink for the R4 and the NIC?

I’m referring to something like this available for raspberry pi and other SBCs.

That will never work with sfp+ in use.

Can you explain that answer in a bit more detail? Shouldn’t it be possible to cover the SFP cages as well to “grab” their heat also?

I suppose that it has no financial attractiveness as it will cost too much for average user

My final result … Room temperature is 25°C … and R4 in closed metal case. Heatsink from R3 with copper pads that are glued to heatsink with thermal glue and thermal past is used

root@router:~# sensors; stress -c 4 -t 300; sensors
cpu_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +49.6°C

stress: info: [15430] dispatching hogs: 4 cpu, 0 io, 0 vm, 0 hdd
stress: info: [15430] successful run completed in 300s
cpu_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +50.3°C

I bought it from a local flea market. The hole distance was not right. Had to do some non trivial modding to fit the mounting holes. I would have avoided had I known mm or two would make such a huge difference.

Fin height is crucial. I opted for 10-15mm b’cos I want to fit a 15mm fan in a couple years time. Otherwise, I would definitely go for taller fins.