Banana Pi BPI-R4 heatsink and Case design

Will this apply to openWRT as well?

I’ve changed those files and recompiled. Nothing changes.

Here are some outputs:

root@Didneys-WiFiX-BPI-R4:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp 61539

root@Didneys-WiFiX-BPI-R4:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# dmesg | grep thermal

[ 0.007028] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor ‘fair_share’

[ 0.007030] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor ‘bang_bang’

[ 0.007032] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor ‘step_wise’

[ 0.007033] thermal_sys: Registered thermal governor ‘user_space’

[ 5.741145] hwmon hwmon1: temp1_input not attached to any thermal zone

[ 5.747703] hwmon hwmon1: temp2_input not attached to any thermal zone

[ 5.754240] hwmon hwmon1: temp3_input not attached to any thermal zone

root@Didneys-WiFiX-BPI-R4:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat trip_point_3_temp

root@Didneys-WiFiX-BPI-R4:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat trip_point_4_temp

root@Didneys-WiFiX-BPI-R4:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

The fan is doing nothing and I don’t know what to check to see if the triggers are actually set or not.

Also, what does the ‘temp1_input not attached to any thermal zone’ mean? relevant?

You can compare your dts with mine to find the difference…the temp1_inpit message cpuld be related,but without seeing your dts i cannot tell more

Either search dts in source (better readable) or extract ot from running system with

dtc -I fs -O dts /sys/firmware/devicetree/base > bpi-r4.dts

which fan do you use? i tried some other pwm-fan on r3 and was also not able to get it working…with bpi-one on r3 and the aliexpress one on r4 i was able to do so

Figured it out. I had to clean out my folders and recompile fresh. It was skipping those files for the recompiles.

Thanks for your help! and thanks for everyones work on this.

I’ve gpt my three cases, but i’m gonna play in weekend :frowning: i’ll share some pictures later. Oled display not yet arrived.

can anyone recommend a set of antennas and the connectors for the official sinovoip case? and does anyone know whats the situation with the FAN, is there any required? if so, a link would be nice too

This fan works

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006544838058.html

Imho in case there ahould be one, i guess passive cooling is not enough if a closed case is used

Hello jens1976,

the case is now available for the germans too :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thank you for your patiance :wink:!!!

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006925401457.html

Thank you! I ordered one.

thanks, can you also recommend antennas with their connectors? also, i am not sure about the wifi 7 card, will it have 6 or 10 connectors?

the current card has 6 connectors, 10 is planned and maybe the 14 connector card is produced again later

Have people seen “screw and nut” for heatsinks like in this setup?

What are the keywords to search?

These chrome plated screws look sexy and seem to do an excellent job than plastic push-pins.

Got to home finaly, had today time to play with case i’ve got from ali, the quality is very good, need to find some oled display for it now and make some measurments for my rack 1u project :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

After some digging, seems they’re called “shoulder screws with spring” according to this company:

The LPDH50S looks like a fit for R4. I’m afraid it’s hard to source on Ali without a bulk order. Perhaps I’ll just postpone the idea or live with plastic push-pins for now

Once you know the keywords, you open the door to abundant info. Our fellow member actually had gone through some research and even bought a piece from Alphanovatech. This post could have received a bit more attention:

The heatsink comes with brass push-pins. The manufacturer laser prints the model and company name on the edge of the heatsink. Gosh. It’s yelling…quality make. LoL

@russelltg did file a tiny corner off to better adapt to the 1.8mm high inductor “2R2” aka L1. I believe it’s not necessary with proper thickness of thermal pads.

I do wonder those push-pins can properly apply pressure. They often look weak to me but in reality could be quite different. Especially he got the brass ones.

The brass push-pins should be capable of applying adequate pressure if they are designed for the heatsink. Alpha Novatech offers a variety of push pins and springs designed to work with their heatsinks, ensuring proper contact pressure for optimal thermal performance. Best Autodesk Civil 3D 2023 price offer. If you’re concerned about the pressure applied by the push-pins, you might consider checking if the heatsink manufacturer provides specifications for the optimal mounting pressure or if there are alternative mounting options available.

Oh, interesting and news to me.

BPI released official version of R4’s heatsink/fan combo.

My R4 with a 50x10x50 heatsink. Running OpenWrt June 9’s snapshot. Performed some temperature test.

The stress test that I ran for 10 mins:

$ while (true); do openssl speed -multi 4 -evp aes-256-cbc; done

Result

• ambient room temp: 29.4C with mild airflow
  • idle temp: 43.6C (800MHz)
  • peak temp: 58.2C (1.8GHz)
  • peak power: 6.7W

(idle temp without heatsink 51C)

My longer plan is to add a frameless fan from scrapped GPUs. But seems without a fan is perfectly fine for my planned usage.

1 Like

@sinovoip do You plan to make some din 35 monting adapter to official case?