Banana Pi BPI-R3 Router board with MediaTek MT7986(Filogic 830),support Wi-Fi 6/6E,2.5GbE SFP

Finally got my bpi-r3 and antennas for it. But antennas cables stucked somewhere. So can I flash the router and use Wi-fi without antennas? Or just wait cables arrival?

You can of course prepare sdcard for it and boot it,but wifi range will be very limited. It works without case if wifi client is not far away (tested ~1m).

1 Like

I’m testing this wonderful hardware by some days now. I found some deadend and i’m here asking for help/enlightment… :slight_smile:

The sfp2 interface is bridged to br-lan but never leaves disabled state even if a DAC cable or any o f my SFP modules ( 2.5Gb/s ) are connected. Ethtool shows that DAC cable changes speed from unknown to 2500Mb/s. brctl showstp br-lan always show state disabled . By my previous search this sfp port is connected to the external switch that control the RJ45 ports. Are any app or config in sysfs or proc to verify ? The other sfp interface ( wan related ) works ok except that negotiate 1Gb/s with my ODI DFP-34X-2C2 ( XPON ) that is 2.5Gb/s capable and I already tested it with a sfp+ broadcom card.

Sorry to make so many questions .

Edit. In the case of sfp2 even detecting the correct speed ( 2500Mb/s ) the link detected show “no”.

ethtool sfp2
Settings for sfp2:
        Supported ports: [ MII ]
        Supported link modes:   2500baseX/Full 
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: No
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  2500baseX/Full 
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 2500Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: d
        Wake-on: d
        Link detected: no

Just upgrade to a newer snapshot and the sfp ports are working. The last issue is how to lock the speed of eth1 to 2.5Gb/s to use the max speed os the sfp GPON ?

The speed used for SFP link is queried from the SFPs EEPROM. Many GPON SFPs allow configuring the host link speed to be either 1G or 2.5G, some are a bit quirky and require the Linux SFP support to be made aware of being capable of doing 2.5G-speed even though it is not properly reported in the SFP’s EERPOM data. Those quirks have already been implemented in Linux and OpenWrt for some GPON SFPs, e.g. Ubiquiti and some Huawei ones.

For yet other modules you can find some documentation here:

1 Like

Anyone else has the same issue that the reboot command is simply ignored? No matter wheter i use SSH or Web Interface. Just won’t reboot.

Firmware Version OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r21995-059263dd6e / LuCI Master git-23.017.73484-3c2b35c

Did I miss something? Sysupgrade fails because of Bridger being gone.

Try attended sysupgrade. Installed r21995 without issues.

Maybe bridger was builded for kernel version 5.15.91? Current bpi-r3 snapshot is using 5.15.90. So I can’t update packages, for example, because all of them buided for 5.15.91.

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r21995-059263dd6e / LuCI Master git-23.017.73484-3c2b35c here. No reboot problem. Installed yesterday via attended sysupgrade.

Banana Pi BPI-R3 Review: Details, Pricing, & Features

Hi, I just wanted to ask really quick if I can power this board up without antennas connected without damaging anything? My antennas haven’t arrived yet, but I would like to test the board. Thanks

Yes of course,antennas are not necessary for booting…only wifi strength is limited but also works near the board

BPI-R3 is not yet documented on Wikipedia? Are you aware of that fact?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Pi

EDIT: ALSO… I want to report an issue with the link at the top of this forum, going to aliexpress. Since I couldn’t find a better category to post. The issue is that the link is by default going to Portuguese!? You might want to update the url to point to: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/302756

Next to that, OpenWRT by default installs with radio’s set to disabled. So, don’t even have to worry about it at boot.

@sinovoip

Hi,

If there is another PCB design in the pipes. Please consider adding more vias around the IPX connectors. It is a mechanically influenced area under a stress. The upper layer glue holding the copper layer is not enough.

I had to replace one IPX connector as it disintegrated already. It is a development platform, thus it should be designed with some sort of durability in mind.

Banana_Pi_BPI-R3_with_PoE

Thanks.

1 Like

Can BPI-R3 work with mPCI 4g modem and SSD drive at the same time? Or is it like “choose nand or emmc, but not both at the same time”?

How can I make 4g connection as backup connection? I want to use 4g if my main WAN connection die. Automatic connection switch ofc.

Do I need external 4g antenna? My 4g phone has -98 dbm signal.

Which SIM format BPI-R3 supports? Nano-SIM?

Mpcie slot has only usb2 connected,but many 4g modems only use these and do not need pcie lanes.

Emmc and nand are different controllers (mmc vs. Spi), so they can be used together. But not “emmc and sd” and/or “nand and nor”

Afaik automatic connection is possible if you trigger it via ifdown-script or similar. Sim slot is larger than nanosim and smaller than normal sim…afaik minisim

It depends how your case blocks signal (metal case will need external). Without case i used a flat antenna which i will try inside the printed case (if i can finally print it)

Any recommendation regarding a case for the board? How do you use it?

Currently i use the paperbox :slight_smile:there is an official metal case,but you need to add some ventilation holes. Or print a case like this:

Banana BPI R3 3D Printed Case

1 Like

I am currently printing a case at a local 3D printing service. We have recreated the plans from scratch and I intend to make them available free of charge since many of you, like you @frank-w, helped me a lot.

The 3D Printing Service, the owners name is Simon, is a really nice young entrepeneur which I can highly recommend. Once I got the case printed I will upload some images and the plans.

1 Like