Banana Pi BPI-R3 Router board with MediaTek MT7986(Filogic 830),support Wi-Fi 6/6E,2.5GbE SFP

I went off to work. Not soon.

It boots up normally and can be accessed via wifi also not only UART, the wired switch part ceased to work SFP + RJ45’s. I just toggled switches and booted from NAND.

Thanks Herman, but it is too old. The other dependencies will not match up, I would not to be able to flash luci on such old dev build. They need to be quite recent in synergy.

Well I guess I will start collection builds doing each sysupgrade :smiley:

See some patches done on ETH for mt7986 by Felix.

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=6c85c343d24d1d2ee1d3a02a2cbb06446f8eb3b6

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=78c51de847102541795d7c93b05ae8321fcd50e7

I have a 2nd Bpi R3 for this kind of scenario that I can spin up to first test snapshot builds before I go live on my production R3.

Flashed the 29th dec and I am back.

Some esoteric stuff when doing setting backup import. Wifi didn’t enable no matter what I did, had to delete wireless conf in /etc/config to regenerate it on boot and reset it.

So all is working with new snapshot?

So far yes, with some hurdles I mentioned before.

Btw dmesg did not show anything wrong, it just stalled.

Btw WED is still not enabled in mainline, if someone is interested.

For stalls mostly you need serial console open when stall happens to see messages from kernel

There were no errors. Log looked exactly as I posted earlier in that image. The thing just didn’t route wired part.

Looking at git and what Felix did makes sense. Glad it it persisted only for one build. For now.

I guess problem was above your screenshot. Is your network still stall there at some time? When does it happen (directly after boot,after some time)? What is your setup (affect only routing or direct access to ethernet-port, flow offloading active,…)? Can you reproduce it?

I want to test felix new patches for vlan-support for this issue.

Emmc mode. I am using both SFP ports. But I tried also without them.

I did a factory reset from uboot also booting with no additional settings. Via Uart I managed to enable wifi and could access the router, while wired part was numb.

I looked up in dmesg also. There was nothing weird in the logs compared to working build.

Do you need that non working 28th december build?

no, as i do not use openwrt, but i wanted to know if i can reproduce it with mainline-kernel anyhow.

with 6.2-rc1 and v3 of felix series i can connect to r3 to the ethernet-port, but i’ve noticed that while fixing vlan on eth1 it breaks vlan on eth0/dsa-ports

if the dec 29 build is working, can you please test if vlan is working on the switch-ports (wan,lan0-lan3)? in my tests with v3 of felix’ patches it only works on eth1, wan port without vlan works, but packets seem not tagged outgoing (incoming looks good)

Hello, What type of SFPs are you using? Copper or fiber? Any issues? OpenWrt or different OS?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

I’ve posted it there.

Not sure why, didn’t change a thing and yesterday BPI-R3 started to really have speed issues. Tried to upgrade to r21714-9ac377d0e0 and performance remained really bad plus PPPoE drops every few minutes.

Connectivity is there, but performance and stability is gone.

do not use openwrt (use mainline-kernel with some patches on debian base) and have not done yet long-time tests as i still struggeling with vlan-setup which seems to be broken when using systemd-networkd…if i define vlans manually it works, but only if systemd/networkd is disabled.

it would be good to know your exact setup (where is you pppoe - maybe vlan too?) and have you stability issues only on network layer (all interfaces or only some - which one) or does it cause system hangs too? do you get any messages in dmesg and or do you see any CRC/error-frames in ethtool on the affected interfaces?

@sinovoip Hello, i’m new here, and i would like to know if the BPI-R3 will come back into your store ?

I do everything on OpenWRT, so for me it’s crucial to get proper support for the device.

On SFP 1 interface, I setup PPPoE up in a vlan for internet connectivity and have another vlan for iptv. The IPTV is handled by IGMP Proxy towards STBs.

I had stability issues on all interfaces, incl switch. Ie, doing iperf3 on internal LAN to BPI R3 I got 100-150Mb/s at some point. At first it worked pretty fast, but in time performance just started to degrade. Even warm-reboots didn’t help. Switch to back-up router, and performance issues were gone.

At which speed does your SFP module operate towards the host? I’ve seen performance problems with modules operating in 1G speed (while modules using 2.5G were always working fine), currently it’s not clear to me what may be causing this.

Am using UBNT UF-SM-1G-S - which is an “1G” (1.25Gbps). And link is an 1Gbps.

After which uptime you get Performance issues (hours,days,weeks). Does iperf3 shows the same? Does ip-s link /ethtool -S show anything like crc errors or packet drops? Do you have enabled any hw offloading (hwnat,wed)? Anything else to trace down (e.g. performance drop on vlan,but not directly on interface),maybe temperature of your module is too high?