Banana Pi BPI-R3 OpenWRT image

Serial console is needed to determine what exactly goes wrong…all other is speculative

Hi everyone, I’ve just received my Banana Pi r3 and just getting started with it, serial console is ready and connected, sd card burnt is ready with latest Snapshot from official openwrt Just to confirm, i should boot from sd card and install to nand in bootloader menu? After it’s done, power off device, switch boot switch to boot from nand? That’s it?

Few questions

1. Latest Snapshot is good to go?
  2. Will it update my bootloader as well?
  3. Nand vs nor , anyone using it on nor , what’s performance difference? What’s preferred
  4. Please mention any additional steps needed for process above?

Thanks everyone

Congratulation for choosing the R3!!! :+1:

As you can see, it can be tricky to install openwrt on BPI-R3:

But you can always fresh start from sd card again.

The 23.05.3 for R3 is some days out (2024-03-23). Do what you want, but I would not prefer the snapshot!

The questions you have are good! I’m also interested in …

1 Like

If you want to use the device in production right away and not be bothered with (rare) bugs in snapshot images, I’d recommend to use the OpenWrt 23.05.3 release instead which is known to be stable and work well on this device.

Yes, choosing to install via the bootloader menu will write the bootloader to the target media (and this is needed. you cannot run vanilla OpenWrt with SinoVoip’s loader which lacks features for uImage.FIT and device-tree overlays).

It’s important to mention that most problems users have been reporting with the installation process were due to faulty or bad microSD cards. If anything doesn’t work, try with a different microSD card.

Also be aware that all 4 dip switches for choosing the boot device (A, B) and chip-select on SPI (C) and MMC (D) bus need to be in the correct position for each step of the installation:

So “Don’t care” isn’t really true, you do need to care also about those.

1 Like