Banana Pi BPI-R3 Mini Router board with MediaTek MT7986(Filogic 830),support Wi-Fi 6,2.5GbE

Did you manage to make any progress or have any good results with this thing you were working on?

Support for the BPI-R3 mini has been merged into vanilla OpenWrt main, which means snapshot builds should become available today or tomorrow. Much newer than BananaPi’s version, which is based on OpenWrt 21.02.

For those unfamiliar with OpenWrt snapshots in general, keep in mind that there are trade-offs between snapshots and stable releases.

@dangowrt, does this mean we can also expect BPI-R3 mini support to be added to the vanilla OpenWrt 23.05 series at some point, since the full size BPI-R3 is already supported?

question…MT7976C chip support Wifi 6E based on Mediatek. The Mini board shows 2g and 5g antennas. My question is does the Mini supports Wifi 6E.

Sorry if this has been asked, but the thread is so huge…

thanks

Thats why i always recommend to create extra threads if none exists yet for specific question

@dangowrt

Is there any progress you can share?

Cheers

I’m not planning a backport to OpenWrt 23.05 due to the Airoha EN8811H PHY driver being needed for the R3 mini, and adding that goes beyond what we usually do to a stable release.

Hence for now there are snapshots only, and there is going to be a 24.xx release soon, hopefully.

appreciate your response.

I have to say this release loooks more stable than the one was preinstalled. thanks for this!

1 Like

R3 mini 6-layer PCB? Or 8-layer PCB?