Banana Pi BPI-R3 Mini Router board with MediaTek MT7986(Filogic 830),support Wi-Fi 6,2.5GbE

Thank you so much for your reply.

I only mentioned the double volume, because I had never seen such an error message from parted before. It led me to buy new cards and reader/writers!! So at least now I can duplicate my cards easily! Yes, autopart is particularly helpful. I think of the snapshot as a minimum set to enable hardware use. Perhaps the sdcard size should be part of that ‘minimum set’. No doubt you’ve had those discussions yourselves: I first tried OpenWrt on a Pi2 as my first trial run, and as has been noted previously, the Raspberry Pi version can expand its file system from its own minimum set.

Re Intel I’ve put in an order for a Mediatek card to try out. Thanks for the response and thank you again for taking the time to respond. I hope to migrate to the R4 when I’ve ‘grown up’!

Regards, Colin

Thanks for BPI team.

Do you have any 3D printing files(.stl/.stp) for the casing? The upper one(.dxf) is not a casing but the diagram of the PCBs.

Thank for bpi team.

Can you update software openwrt with fix in emmc 8gb. I follow instruction in wiki bpi r3 mini. But the storage not increase to 8gb. Sorry for my bad english

sorry ,we just have DXF file ,not 3D file .

@sinovoip Can you please fix the MTK driver EMMC image?
[BPI-R3 mini] Kernel panic after flashing OpenWRT 20230719 to EMMC with MTK driver

Just a quick update and question in my search for Wifi 6E capability. As advised, I switched from Intel to Mediatek, installing an MT7621k card on my 2280 adapter. Nice chip. As a ‘newbie’, I tried an ‘iw list’ (for the first time!!!) and was pleasantly surprised by the capabilities.

In wiphy phy2 (the Mt7621k card): At 5.2Ghz, I saw 28 channels, but only 9 work: the others have “(radar detection)” added to the Frequencies list. If I choose one of these in the AP, I get the result of “–db”, and the corresponding radio (above it in the Wireless section of Openwrt) shows a radio frequency that is the corresponding channel in the 6 GHz range… This table is a duplicate of the 5GHz section of Wiphy phy1, so I guess it’s ‘normal’

In the 6 GHz range, 24 channels (1-93) are available (5955-6415 MHz) and 35 (97-233) are disabled. None appear to work. However, I think these are in a 5GHz section. 160 Mhz bandwidth is not supported and only 2 power settings: (default), and 255db…which Openwrt informs me is 2.4 Megawatts…

So I’m still missing 6E capability, and I’m not sure this chip has it, despite the advertising.

Can others advise on 6E? Do I need to go to mt7622? Does this mean upgrading Linux from 5.15 to 6.3+ ? (And I’ve no idea how)

Incidentally my PC is dual-boot with LinuxMint at Linux 6.2, and has an mt7621au chip (Comfast CF-953AX USB adapter). That only came to life after a small mod from “morrownr”:

the rules.d file below added to /etc/udev (remove the leading quotes)

"# https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/discussions/88

"# Upstream kernel patch included in version 6.3

"# TODO: delete this file after upgrading to kernel 6.3+

ACTION==“add”,
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”,
ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}==“3574”,
ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}==“6211”,
RUN+="/usr/sbin/modprobe mt7921u",
RUN+="/bin/sh -c ‘echo 3574 6211 > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/mt7921u/new_id’"

Sorry if I’m constantly replying to my own messages…

Got 6E working at last. The key was to select WPA3 Security!!! I hadn’t realised until today that 6E ONLY operated over WPA3 and 20MHz bandwidth. Now running on Ch 85 6.375 GHz. Interestingly, I can only detect the 6E network on my mt7621au adapter (as above), but not the AX210 Linux 6.2 PC adapter. The new AX210 adapter in my 9 year-old laptop picks it up perfectly.

Happy at last!

Can you share AP config from r3?

Hope this is what you mean: 6E1 6E2 6E3 6E4

Just a small comment: this is not a totally reliable connection - it doesn’t come up every time I edit,-save-&-apply. I’m not sure how I can ‘prove’ it’s actually 6E. This was the only connection on my PC - I had switched off the AX210 pcie adapter and the LAN and only the Mediatek mt7621au USB adapter was active. On the BPI R3, all 3 radios were active: radio 0, 1 and 2. Radio 2 is the mt7621k (on m.2 2280 adapter). I suspect this is protocol a/ax, with the emphasis on ‘a’… the speeds are 200-300Mbps, though my www internet speeds max out at 140Mbps. Protocol a/ax was what my laptop (next to the router) recorded, from InSSIDer, using its AX210 pci adapter.

i meant the hostapd.conf…but if this is not stable enough yet you can post it when it is :slight_smile:

Can you help me to fix this because after update firmware from your website, wifi cannot detected and all wifi light always on.

9F78767A-9069-45E2-A9D3-346C2A8C2F70

The output is only bootrom. So bl2 was not found on bootdevice. Check boot-switches and if they are right,write-process was not successful

The boot switches is right. After update the firmware, wifi cannot detected and all wifi light always on. how to fix that?

AE789BBC-B3D2-4D57-AC36-7B4837935816

You could try booting from nand and flash emmc again (not nand!)

Same like boot from emmc. Boot from nand nothing happen. Wifi cannot detect and all wifi light always on how to fix that?

95EE361B-C5DF-44CE-8B63-6F056FCB3914

Which exact image are you using? Note that official/vanilla OpenWrt does not yet support the R3 mini.

From official bpi r3 mini. How to fix that ? .31469A20-8D3A-4FE0-9D29-DB3ABB581722

Ah, ok, SinoVoip stock image should work, of course.

I like big big big one.

This bad boy runs HOT!!!