Banana BPI-R4 Install OpenWrt

Greetings All

First of all i’m New and I appreciate your help ,I tried to install OpenWrt on Router

How To install OpenWrt on Banana BPI-R4 Steps:

Banana BPI-R4 from OpenWrt page >>>> OpenWrt Firmware <<<<

Package install Luci (through PuTTY) follow steps https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/luci/luci.essentials#basic_installation

Install LTE QMI (through PuTTY) follow steps https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/wwan/ltedongle

What is missing or wrong a lot of packages are not installed ? (Not Yet) … is there updated System with supporting AT Commands ? (Not Yet)

i’m planning to use this router for 5G network and controlling on bands

There is network

1 Like

Standard image does not include luci

Try opkg install luci on the CLI

1 Like

Thank you dude , I got it , I followed

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/luci/luci.essentials#basic_installation

Used Putty and

Should I Install other things ? please your advise …

The Image looks like nothing installed on it only a few things … is there way to install important things

1 Like

That wholly depends on what you are trying to do with it …

1 Like

its looks like old and not updated so how I can Install new one with a good specs and packages for BPI-R4 I know only booting from SD by flashing by balenaEtcher

I tried to install these image on SD (flashed) but didn’t work where 1 and 0 were down on SD mode

Best place to start is probably https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/ (select snapshot as no release for R4 yet)

Watch out though, the current snapshot is broken

Could you bit more specific and help openwrt devs to fix the issue?

I did, to some degree: A new dual 10G router based on Filogic 880 (Banana Pi BPi-R4) - #548 by buz - Hardware Questions and Recommendations - OpenWrt Forum

Sorry as this is my uplink router messing around with serial console to get details is not really an option :pensive:

but for upgrade you should do via console to get any error message that nails the problem a bit down

how should devs fix it when they have only a “upgrade did not work” description :slight_smile: this is impossible and best way it will be not fixed soon

the more information they have the faster it can be solved. maybe the problem is related to latest increasing of root-partition? @dangowrt

I fully agree that a serial console log of the boot process would be a much more useful report but due to the way the router is attached to the fiber (and where the fiber comes into the apartment), that means unhooking everything (incl. not having internet during the debugging phase which kind of makes debugging tricky, not to mention the SO screaming at me). I should probably get a second R4 for these situations.

It’s however very easy to reproduce: just flash the current sdcard.img from firmware selector and the router never actually comes up. So I doubt it is related to the upgrade process…

why? just connect serial connection while router is active and connected? my r2 is connected to serial adapter all the time and when i work on it (kernel upgrade) i use an usb extender cable (my router hangs ~2m from floor) to connect to laptop :slight_smile: no need to unplug anything

sounds like the sdcard-image itself is broken and does not boot from it - so not upgrade related because it does not come to this point

That’s point, I don’t have a long enough USB cable (or an extension to fix it) to do it in place :frowning: Fair enough that I should get one.

sounds like the sdcard-image itself is broken and does not boot from it - so not upgrade related because it does not come to this point

That’s what I am trying to say: the build itself is broken, not the update process, as it also happens with a fresh image of that build on a fresh sdcard.

@buz are you using build r26556/26557?

You may have faced the rare situation that those builds are “broken”. (see: A new dual 10G router based on Filogic 880 (Banana Pi BPi-R4) - #548 by buz - Hardware Questions and Recommendations - OpenWrt Forum)

Update from running r26536 to r26557 via sysupgrade seems also not working.

EDIT: Problem still exists with build r26581

I tried to run r26557 yes.

By broken, do you mean something went wrong in the build (and should clean up next round) or a bad patch?

I can confirm that 26536 was smooth.

@buz by broken was ment that you can’t create a running (sysupdate and/or sdcard) image right now and that will be fixed (hopefully within the next builds).

If you want to ensure your observation about broken image generation will be heard/solved soon then please open a bug ticket for openwrt imagebuilder at github.

yup same issue I faced but sure the team will solve it …

I would like to ask some if someone can add these packages /or should be available on official OpenWrt / Snapshot

These packages : AT commands & Modem LTE/5G manager

The OpenWrt looks like a weak system for controlling 5G modems m.2 …maybe I’m wrong or right