After it was successfully installed and the kernel recompiled with CONFIG_MT7915E=m option it has succesfully started. After setup i got decent speed boost over mt7612e (average ~195/205 vs ~130/170 mbps for D/U using iperf3 on ~9m distance w/o walls)
Everything seems good for me, i only have a couple of questions:
The driver is looking for mt7915e_rf.bin eeprom which is absent (i didn’t found in on internet) is it important?
Yep, i use your 5.10 with crypt-engine patches. (5.11 with hw nat is in plans, does it has internal wifi support, or it needs to be added separately?)
It seems like it works fine, i’m just not sure what are there files for.
There is dbdc in sysfs, but echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mt76/dbdc doen’t affect anything (no dmesg messages, no new interfaces). (As for me it’s not a problem most my devices have 5G support, and internal wifi is enough for my needs )
In my opinion, it describes the capability of mt7915 chip, so we can use mt7915 chip for 4x4ax or 2x2 DBDC card but they need to use different PCB layout with different RF setting in 7915 internal flash. That’s why we need to wait DBDC card.
I use an QAC6174 m.2 card and a m.2 to minipcie adapter at r2(mt7623) to achive 670Mbps at the distance of 1m…
but singal quarlity never be a problem for me, runing top when benchmarking show me a cpu core is 100%loaded with softirq,
compare with 550Mbps at mir2100(mt7622+mt7615), it is a little faster(with better cpu).
the speed test is runing with only 1 client activate.
802.1w is disabled sence it is no hw support at QCA6174 but MT76 has.
I’m curious that how fast mt7915 will go (when two devices close enough)?
Also in ax mode intel AX200/AX201 often connects in low speed mode (420/54 - down/up), especially in win10, while in ac mode it’s usually between 720/720 to 866/866 and usually symmetric. My Qualcomm based smartphone connects in 1200/1200 in ax mod and 866/866 in ac, but speed is faster in ac mode, see iperf results at top.
Just in case. My main problem was incomplete 802.11ax setup (no he_oper_chwidth,
he_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx, etc ). Now, after completing the setup ax mode has very similar to ac performance.
The connection speed shown by a client is 1200/1200 in most cases, but the average speed (iperf3) is about 500Mbit/s. Looking forward to optimizing hostapd.conf
after some configuration and channel selection i got link speed up to 2162/2162Mbps(average 1700/1700) with iperf speed test up to ~650/850 mbit/s (down/up),
But also I’ve got a new problem - clients connected to the same ap cant communicate with each other, disabling ax mode doesn’t help. applying the working config from mt7615 doesn’t solve the problem. At this point, I’m not sure if it was working earlier on mt7915.
Summary: With ap on mt7615 clients can communicate each other, ap on mt7915(also with the same as mt7615 config) clients can’t communicate with each other.
This config works perfectly on mt7615 - all clients connected to the same ap can reach each other. But on mt7915 clients can connect only ap itself and all hosts in broadcast domain connected to ap over ethernet.
After switching to previous 5.10 kernel everything started to work just fine. Taking into account that i had the same 5.13 kernel on my both R2s (mt7915 and mt7615 wifi cards) with the same config it’s more likely a driver bug than configuration bug.
P.S. 5.13 in general seems to be faster with mt7915 than 5.10