Manjaro Linux Image - Mainline Uboot & Kernel - SDCard

Hello Everyone,

Update:

Preview Images of Manjaro Linux for BPI-M64 KDE, XFCE, LXQT & Server Images are uploaded to the link

BananaPi - M64 - Manjaro Linux - KDE - Neofetch image

BananaPi - M64 - Manjaro Linux - KDE - GLXGears image

How to install: Download the image/zip file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher ( sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn it to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

Put the SD card into SD card slot and boot it up. M64 should recognise the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

On the first boot it will display an OEM type install. After you have made your choices it will reboot by resizing the root partition to its full capacity and boot into your newly setup system.

Known Issues:

• Audio Not working. (Fix will come soon)
  • Wifi Not working - I will update the firmware soon which will make the wifi work.
  • Bluetooth not working. - No Idea why

Only tested on BPI-M64-V1.2.

I would like to know how many users are looking for Manjaro Image and which M64 Hardware Version do you have? Which Manjaro Image would you like me to maintain? - Server, Minimal, LXQT, KDE, MATE, XFCE.

Please test and let me know. Would appreciate your response.

Thanks.

1 Like

Here is the boot log.

[spiker@Manjaro-BPI-M64 ~]$ uname -a                                         
Linux Manjaro-BPI-M64 5.3.0-3-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Sat Oct 12 11:05:00 UTC 201x
[spiker@Manjaro-BPI-M64 ~]$ inxi -F                                          
System:                                                                      
  Host: Manjaro-BPI-M64 Kernel: 5.3.0-3-MANJARO-ARM aarch64 bits: 64         
  Console: tty 0 Distro: Manjaro ARM                                         
Machine:                                                                     
  Type: ARM Device System: BananaPi-M64 details: N/A                         
  serial: 92c001bae96456c3                                                   
Battery:                                                                     
  ID-1: axp20x-battery charge: 100% condition: N/A                           
CPU:                                                                         
  Topology: Quad Core model: N/A variant: cortex-a53 bits: 64 type: MCP      
  Speed: 648 MHz min/max: 648/1152 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 648 2: 648      
  3: 648 4: 648                                                              
Graphics:                                                                    
  Device-1: sun50i-a64-mali driver: lima v: kernel                           
  Device-2: sun50i-a64-dw-hdmi driver: sun8i_dw_hdmi v: N/A                  
  Device-3: sun50i-a64-display-engine driver: sun4i_drm v: N/A               
  Display: server: X.org 1.20.5 driver: fbturbo tty: 80x24                   
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.      
Audio:                                                                       
  Device-1: sun50i-a64-dw-hdmi driver: sun8i_dw_hdmi                         
  Device-2: simple-audio-card driver: asoc_simple_card                       
  Device-3: simple-audio-card driver: N/A                                    
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-3-MANJARO-ARM                                 
Network:                                                                     
  Device-1: sun50i-a64-emac driver: dwmac_sun8i                              
  IF: eth0 state: down mac: 02:ba:e9:64:56:c3                                
  Device-2: mmc-pwrseq-simple driver: pwrseq_simple                          
Drives:                                                                      
  Local Storage: total: 22.12 GiB used: 4.59 GiB (20.8%)                     
  ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: SS16G size: 14.84 GiB                            
  ID-2: /dev/mmcblk2 model: 8GTF4R size: 7.28 GiB                            
Partition:                                                                   
  ID-1: / size: 14.40 GiB used: 4.59 GiB (31.9%) fs: ext4                    
  dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2                                                        
Sensors:                                                                     
  Message: No sensors data was found. Is sensors configured?                 
Info:                                                                        
  Processes: 147 Uptime: 3m Memory: 1.89 GiB used: 297.1 MiB (15.3%)         
  Init: systemd Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.36  

Does anyone have the AP6212 Firmware and know how It should be enabled in kernel?

Tested the Image from your link. Board version 1.1

• no ethernet detected

Booted fine, very clean.

I think is the server version.

You are using lima, i could not test the status of the lima

Uploaded LXQT version also. Please try and let me know. Also the ethernet is detection on V1.2 if you see the above inxi -F

@avaf Which Wifi module is there in your V1.1 ? I have AP 6212 on V1.2 and I think I have the firmware we used for other SBC with AP 6212.

Does it work on brcmfmac module right ? I have brcmfmac enabled as module, so we just have to use the ap6212 firmware and the wifi should work right ?

Put the link to download your latest Image version here so others can test it and give you feedback.

Use brcmfmac. The HW version 1.1 i have here at my desk use A0 chip. v1.2 i think has A1 chip. It should be printed on the chip.

Grab /lib/firmware/brcm from my Image or from other distro.

FYI, that u-boot version you are using has issues with USB hub too so there is some tweak needed in the DTS in order to resolve this.

Do you have any additional information about the status of lima?

I will check the lima details and get back to you.

@avaf Yes Lima is enabled in the kernel, This is anarsouls kernel. Here is the DTB I used and the config of the kernel built.

Here is the kernel Branch

I found the kde-plasma not loading issue. it was from the Manjaro Repo, some apps were updated and some didnt, I will try it again now.

I will upload the Image for Public testing once I have a proper boot.scr, As currently I am testing it with your boot.scr. I need your help in making img of the right boot.scr which will be used with rolling release practice used by Manjaro.

boot.scr is the resulting file from this command:

• sudo mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d boot.cmd boot.scr

Boot from SD CARD

• setenv rootdev β€œ/dev/mmcblk0p2”

Boot from eMMC

• setenv rootdev β€œ/dev/mmcblk2p2”

Good luck

boot.cmd (1.0 KB)

Thanks for this. I am aware of this, But your boot.scr looks for dtb and Image in /boot while we might have to change the dtb location to /boot/dtbs/allwinner/XXXXX

Also I dont see any vdec in M64 dtb which means it cannot work with only lima/mesa. I tried removing the xf86-video-fbturbo-git and it failed to load the Display Manager.

I got wifi to work with AP6212 firmware which I had built for Khadas Vim1 which uses the same chip. I had audio working from the analogue connector but not the hdmi, but I can see hdmi audio is present, Maybe need the asound.conf to make it work. But after trying something like adding wifi firmware the audio stopped working on analogue too. Need to try more settings.

Here is the updated inxi -Fz with Wifi working

inxi -Fz
System:
  Host: Manjaro-BPI-M64 Kernel: 5.3.0-3-MANJARO-ARM aarch64 bits: 64 
  Console: tty 0 Distro: Manjaro ARM 
Machine:
  Type: ARM Device System: BananaPi-M64 details: N/A serial: <filter> 
Battery:
  ID-1: axp20x-battery charge: 100% condition: N/A 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: N/A variant: cortex-a53 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  Speed: 648 MHz min/max: 648/1152 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 816 2: 816 
  3: 816 4: 816 
Graphics:
  Device-1: sun50i-a64-mali driver: lima v: kernel 
  Device-2: sun50i-a64-dw-hdmi driver: sun8i_dw_hdmi v: N/A 
  Device-3: sun50i-a64-display-engine driver: sun4i_drm v: N/A 
  Display: server: X.org 1.20.5 driver: fbturbo tty: 80x24 
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:
  Device-1: sun50i-a64-dw-hdmi driver: sun8i_dw_hdmi 
  Device-2: simple-audio-card driver: asoc_simple_card 
  Device-3: simple-audio-card driver: N/A 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-3-MANJARO-ARM 
Network:
  Device-1: sun50i-a64-emac driver: dwmac_sun8i 
  IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: mmc-pwrseq-simple driver: pwrseq_simple 
  IF-ID-1: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 22.12 GiB used: 4.86 GiB (22.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: SS16G size: 14.84 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/mmcblk2 model: 8GTF4R size: 7.28 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 14.40 GiB used: 4.86 GiB (33.8%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2 
Sensors:
Info:
  Processes: 150 Uptime: 6m Memory: 1.89 GiB used: 475.8 MiB (24.5%) 
  Init: systemd Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.36 

After I flash on the eMMC, if everything works then will it be able to boot from SD-Card when a bootable sd is present?

UPDATE: Regarding making use of Lima fully instead of fbturbo, we need to add VPU and Vdec to the device dtb.

UPDATE2: When I use your asound.conf, I am getting this error

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1826:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

I renamed it to ascond.conf and the error is gone but not sound yet.

Use the old asound.conf, search the web. HDMI-sound should be working, use aplay to output the sound directly to the device.

VPU and Vdec

is done by Cedrus and is already present in your Kernel Image.

I don’t have much knowledge about this then. I have tried panfrost without the fbturbo and it works smooth but with many glitches which is fine. Atleast Video Playback is watchable without load on the CPU.

I tried the same by removing fbturbo but the SDDM failed to start. which means it still needs fbturbo to work.

Please advice how we can make full use of lima & cedrus.

How do you plan to make use of Lima & cedrus? I can only see 1 audio output in aplay -l

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sun50ia64audio [sun50i-a64-audio], device 0: 1c22c00.dai-sun8i sun8i-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

you only have audio codec. No hdmi audio. Try my dtb, might break something else.

lima & cedrus.

You can check if sunxi_cedrus is working: https://github.com/avafinger/v4l2-request-test (or try the latest from bootlin)

I don’t have experience with lima but try to run the Manjaro version of : http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man1/glmark2.1.html

Panfrost? https://linux-sunxi.org/Mali

Panfrost for devices with Midgard (Mali T6xx, T7xx, T8xx) and Bifrost (G7x) GPU/VPU

I think it was detected on boot. Let me check the dmesg.

[   10.827912] sunxi_cedrus: module is from the staging directory, the qualit
y is unknown, you have been warned.                                          
[   10.840788] cedrus 1c0e000.video-codec: Device registered as /dev/video0  
[   10.890023] lima 1c40000.gpu: bus rate = 200000000                        
[   10.894908] lima 1c40000.gpu: mod rate = 297000000   

Yes it is detected in first bootlog

How can I compile this? I don’t have much knowledge of this. Please advice and let me know where to place the compiled files.

I can run glxgears and share the image in sometime.

Thanks for the support.

Here are some of the Screenshots.

BananaPi - M64 - Manjaro Linux - KDE - Neofetch

BananaPi - M64 - Manjaro Linux - KDE - GLXGears

GL_VENDOR: VMware , and with High CPU usage. That means it is not using lima. Check with them if you should have to re-build Mesa. There are some users in this forum running lima, maybe they can help.

1 Like

Yes Will look into the Lima thing.

your dtb doesnt boot. It fails with the following error:

scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found                        
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0                                                            
switch to partitions #0, OK                                                                 
mmc0 is current device                                                                      
Scanning mmc 0:1...                                                                         
Found U-Boot script /boot.scr                                                               
963 bytes read in 3 ms (313.5 KiB/s)                                                        
## Executing script at 4fc00000                                                             
 ** fs_devread read error - block                                                           
invalid extent block                                                                        
** Can't read partition table on 0:0 **                                                     
** Invalid partition 1 **                                                                   
Bad Linux ARM64 Image magic!                                                                
SCRIPT FAILED: continuing...                                                                

Device 0: device type unknown                                                               
... is now current device                                                                   
ethernet@1c30000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete........ done                  
BOOTP broadcast 1                                                                           
BOOTP broadcast 2                                                                           
BOOTP broadcast 3                                                                           
BOOTP broadcast 4                                                                           

Update: Usb hub works give in my image. Anarsoul adviced to use mesa-git version to get lima to work. So will try that tomorrow.

Found the way to make lima work but the device stopped working before i could test it.

Lima will only work with mesa 19.3 which is available in our repo as mesa-git. Tried it on other device but it seem have lima only for gpu and without the vdec support. So gui on modesetting works without fbturbo.

Hi Thank you for this. I’m interested on the server version.

Yes there is a server image too.

1 Like

HI: Good job, i like it.