Kali Linux BananaPi.img 2020.04 from offensive-securityDOTcom does not boot on BPI

Hello,

I downloaded Kali Linux BananaPi.img 2020.04 from offensive-securityDOTcom. Kernel is booting, in bootlogs SD-16GB is detected and partition p1 also…

But at end of boot comes an error-msg : “/dev/mmcblk0p1 not found to mount at /root” ???

Same SD works with my “normal Debian-Buster Image” very good in Access-Point-Configration. Any Ideas? Does someone has Kali running on BPi? Any ideas how to get this img to work? offensive-securityDOTcom offers those img’s, but does not give support for this falure!?!

regards

Support is expensive. Use software that covers that for you.

1 Like

Hi Igor,

thanks for your answer. I can not understand why they offer downloadable images that do not boot??? Maybe it is only one little mistake and someone sees it, I do not understand what goes wrong with that booting kali-BPi-img.

I would try armbian-kali if it would exist… or install kali on armbian, but I was hoping this “ready-kali-BPi-image” can boot without loosing time… :smiley:

IMO is related with maintaining resources. Armbian folks waste 50-80 working hours every day to keep those boards functional and upgrade them, do some R&D and help users. Occasionally such troubles still happens. If you don’t maintain your sw project on the level that is needed, things will start to break down.

Armbian kernel has better support than Kali on x86 and what Armbian doesn’t have on the userland is easy to install via apt … sadly https://github.com/LionSec/katoolin is not well maintained so you will need to invest some time. Perhaps a Kali Docker image exists? That will be the closest to “without loosing time”.

Remember that keeping Armbian at this level costs us a lot of our private time. Your help is welcome. :smiley:

2 Likes

HI Igor,

thanks for Katolin links, this I could test if nobody here got “[Kali Linux BananaPi.img 2020.04]” to work on BPi. You and the hole armbian-team do fantastic work, thanks a lot!!! Unfortunately ambian does not support officially my R1’s, I never understood why support was dropped, with minimal-hardwaremods it is fantastic. I also like to compile my kernels on the BPi self, this I could not get to run with armbian :frowning: If I have the time I test and help with armbian (see my post : " GPIO not working on Armbian_5.31_Lamobo-r1_Debian_jessie_next_4.9.7.img" in armbian-forum.

regards

But,

I am also interested what is the problem on "Kali Linux BananaPi.img 2020.04”

/etc/fstab in roofs: UUID=95fb96d9-913d-4646-b3ab-06d857ce2b6d / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1

bootlogs: (kernel is booting from SD…)

Retrieving file: /usr/lib/linux-image-5.9.0-kali1-armmp/sun7i-a20-bananapi.dtb

0.000000] Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait panic=10 rw rootfstype=$fstype

[ 8.112438] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 00000 14.9 GiB

[ 8.121521] lima 1c40000.gpu: pp0 - mali400 version major 1 minor 1

[ 8.145455] ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: supply phy not found, using dummy regulator

[ 8.171729] sun4i-drm display-engine: bound 1e20000.display-frontend (ops sun4i_frontend_driver_exit [sun4i_frontend])

[ 8.193399] PTP clock support registered

[ 8.209462] lima 1c40000.gpu: pp1 - mali400 version major 1 minor 1

[ 8.226297] lima 1c40000.gpu: l2 cache 64K, 4-way, 64byte cache line, 64bit external bus

[ 8.245074] mmcblk0: p1

Begin: Running /scripts/local-block … done.

Begin: Running /scripts/local-block … done.

mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /root failed: No such device

Failed to mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 as root file system.

???

We avoid dealing with failed hardware since people conclude its our fault if things works badly. We don’t want to associate our name with cheap product that just can’t work normally.

We simply can’t afford https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/concorde-fallacy especially not on our family money. If you pay for the R&D, why not. But your contribution in past 8 years never reached 1% of total costs. When “our customers” are not happy at all, half less. In both case its about the same …

That’s why.

of course you are wright Igor. Armbian and its support is fantastic. If I find the time I will test katoolin on armbian.

I tested “kali-apps with katoolin on Armbian 20.11.3 Buster” my results are in armbian-forum regards

Hi bschasch! Did you figure out the issue with Kali for BPi? I’m trying to use it too on my M5 - it doesn’t even initiate the boot sec.