How to wipe emmc disk?

(Hoàng Phát) #1

First time I setup the android on it but now I want wipe it to blank to setup another linux os on it. Any body know how to wipe that emmc?

(bpi team) #2

please see this document:

https://bananapi.gitbooks.io/bpi-m3/content/howtoburnlinuximagetoemmc.html

(Hoàng Phát) #3

I know friend, but now on my emmc already have a android os. What I need is how to wipe that emmc back to blank.

(BPI_Justin) #4

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1

(Harald Augustin) #5

The man said that he has already running android on it, please clarify how to run that command supposing that is an non rooted device? That’s exactly my case, I have a android burned on emmc, and I want it out/wiped/removed… Is not rooted…

please advice

(Enrico Caruso) #6

I think you need to install a linux image on a micro-sd, then, booting from there you can “sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1” from a linux terminal.

(Harald Augustin) #7

yes that’s correct, once you manage to boot any linux distro from micro-sd you are (or should be) able to wipe the emmc. But as this piece oh hardware is “fully” supported I could successfully boot only on the fourth attempt (2 times ubuntu mate 16.04 the two last releaseas available to download, one debian and eventually opensuse)

That’s why I have posted here because I though that I’m blocked - unable to boot from micro-sd anymore…

Does make any sense to mention that I have use the very same micro-sd card, adapter and software to write all the four images mentioned above, and only opensuse mange to boot? I guess not…

With the opensuse I have manage to boot from micro-sd and wipe emmc

I would like that product to be more supported as:

• It is more expensive that the “other fruits” PI concurrence
  • I had to wait for shipping (2 weeks) instead to order for a local X-PI provider
  • Also a painful importing procedure to follow (took more than 3 weeks for me) + some additional taxes
  • Even nominally more powerful that “others” PI you are not able to use that :juice" because the lack of robust install-able SO distribution for it

P.S. anyway that opensuse could not manage to connect to any wifi network no matter what I’ve tried… but that’s another story

(Enrico Caruso) #8

Please do not remind me. I paid more thinking they have something more powerful than the raspberry pi 3, instead I find myself with a very expensive paperweight. I need RCA output but this thing does not work with DVI-RCA adapters, also on their website said it was working with the images of the raspberry but I cannot find any usable image for me with kodi working.

(zawier) #9

So what is the solution about wiping emmc memory? I have android stored on emmc, but I’, not able to get ride of it anyway. Please help.

(Sam Rose) #10

@robotron has the right answer for anyone searching on this