[BPI-R4] SFP+ Modul does not receive an IP from ISP

Hello, my provider gave me an upgrade from 1gbit to 10gbit symmetric. I received the hardware today and he told me, the new hardware is compatible with the contract, so when the router supports the hardware, all should work. Unfortunately, it does not work.

This is with the working 1gbit sfp modul:

root@OpenWrt:~# ethtool eth2
Settings for eth2:
	Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
	Supported link modes:   1000baseX/Full 
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  1000baseX/Full 
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Link partner advertised link modes:  1000baseX/Full 
	Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
	Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: 1000Mb/s
	Duplex: Full
	Port: FIBRE
	PHYAD: 0
	Transceiver: internal
	Auto-negotiation: on
	Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
			       drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err
	Link detected: yes

This is with the non-working 10gbit sfp+ modul:

root@OpenWrt:~# ethtool eth2
Settings for eth2:
	Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
	Supported link modes:   10000baseLR/Full 
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  10000baseLR/Full 
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: Unknown!
	Duplex: Unknown! (255)
	Port: FIBRE
	PHYAD: 0
	Transceiver: internal
	Auto-negotiation: on
	Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
			       drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err
	Link detected: no

I assume its a problem with the r4 right? Anyone an idea what i can do? Just to be sure i contacted the ISP again. Lets see what he says.

Can you do phylink debug and show dmesg with sfp information+i2c dumps?

Btw. R4 currently only reaches 4.5gbit due to missing rss/lro implementation

its fine for me when the r4 only reaches a bit more than 1gbit. its for me to be sure all works in general, the performance is another thing :slight_smile:

phylink debug is with this one ENABLE_DEBUG=1 which you told me once? Not sure how to get those i2c dumps.

Phylink (only DEBUG=1): [BPI-R4] bad switch performance in upload - #12 by frank-w

I2c commands listed here (bus no are id 1&2 on the i2cmux):

just contacted the ISP by telephon. He told me i got informed wrong. The switch to 10gbit will happen beginning in May, so it can’t work right now.

Hehe,but it still should work with 1g linkspeed,or is the sfp only for 10g (some have no 1g fallback)?

I don’t think fibre networks do any speed negotiation.There is no standard for it. It is mainly because there is such a variety of modulations, wavelengths etc. it would be next to impossible to negotiate between them. I guess if the same wavelength was being used, in theory one could try negotiation of some sort, but its not an easy problem to solve.

thats what i thought too and i asked the guy from the tech dept. of the ISP and i am 99% sure he told me exactly that a couple of weeks ago. when i plug in the sfp+ 10gbit module, the system “detects” that, switches to that length and leaves it on 1gbit until the contract is “active” in beginning of may. But now the guy from the same ISP told me thats BS :stuck_out_tongue: And yeah, the wavelength is very different from the 1gbit module, so i was really surprised and it would be awesome for testing purposes if that would have worked. I am just a bit afraid when the switch to 10gbit happened and the module does not work. Then i am offline :X I have no other router that can handle sfp+

@oli What is the make/module of the 1G and 10G SFP/SFP+ transceivers? I am curious which wavelengths, modulations they use.

which ISP do you have and is this a dedicated fibre access or shared with other customers (e.g. FTTH)?

@frank-w dedicated, init7

@jcdutton 10km, TX1310/RX1490-1550nm for 1gbit and BIDI LR, 10 km, TX1270/RX1330 nm for 10gbit. The brand of the 10gbit is a flexoptic, the 1gbit is a no-name, i bought that from aliexpress a couple of years ago :slight_smile:

@oli If you wish to de-risk.

Your current 10Gbps Transceiver is BIDI TX1270/RX1330.

Purchase an extra 10Gbps Transceiver of BIDI TX1330/RX1270 (notice the opposite way round for the wavelengths)

Place both 10G transceivers into the two SFP+ slots of the BPI-R4 and plug an optic single mode fibre cable in and see if you get link up and can send packets between them in a loop-back fashion. Loop-back is tested by giving an IP address of one of the ports. Setting a static ARP for a IP address that does not exist on your network but on the same subnet as the IP address you set on one of the ports. Do tcpdump on the port without the IP address, and try pinging the non existent IP address. You will not get a ping reply, but you should at least see the ICMP echo request arrive in the tcpdump.

Then repeat the loop-back test in the opposite direction.

After the loop-back test, you can at least be sure that the BPI-R4 software and hardware works with the 10G Transceiver.