BPI-R2 OpenWRT image?

Is there an OpenWRT image available for this yet?

Thanks!

we do it now ,but maybe need some time.

Okay, thanks! I just got the board and was super excited about setting it up as a router but will just have to wait a bit longer I guess :frowning:

1 Like

Well I want two actually to attempt to get them to mesh. I know openwrt supports it and while the many other features are nice I will be happy if I can just setup the mesh. I I setup openWRT on my banana pi m1 to check out all of the functions I can do with it. I almost bought an R1 to play with in openWRT but realized the builds are near identical. Of course the m1 lacks the networking ability but it does let me familiarize myself with the system. So ononce openWRT support is available I will likely be preaching two for me and one for a friend.

He wants to try porting an open version of a BSD based routing system. If we get it working we of course will post here and put up the compiled image as well as source and what not.

In the mean time I am anxious to get my hands on this so please hurry. Maybe an email we could opt in for that announces openWRT’s release, that would be helpful so I am not checking in here all the time to check on it.

For openwrt and even with LEDE, the ethernet [1] and switch [2] driver should use the same upstream code as the base with additional patches fitting to its own image to fix some stability problems, thus you should be able to start and not waiting for openwrt/lede image. i believe the official openwrt or lede image should be comming soon since most drivers are ready in linux mainline for the board, that is easy for LEDE guy to add them into their own tree.

mediatek ethernet [1] http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.13-rc4/source/drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek

mediatek switch modeled as dsa driver used applied to linux switch core layer [2] http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.13-rc4/source/drivers/net/dsa/mt7530.c

Will there also be a tutorial on how to setup a switch/router using e.g. Ubuntu? I’ve also bought the Banana Pi R2 and I’m very excited to try it out, but currently I can’t do much with it :disappointed: I’d like to use Ubuntu or some Linux distro like that, because I also want to use the GPIO pins, OpenWRT can’t access them as far as I know :sob:

I found Lede/Openwrt core developer-John crispin just back port a lot of patch from v4.13, including dsa and bpi-r2 dts :grinning: https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commitdiff;h=1f068588efddf0175e954ffc07ec8478bddd52c7

EDIT: After downloading soruce, you can build bpi-r2 fw by using mt7623 default setting.

2 Likes

Could you please give us a guide on how to do it? Thank you very much :smiley:

Please refer to https://lede-project.org/docs/guide-developer/quickstart-build-images for detailed information.

If you want to build images for the “MT7623-based" Platform, select:

• “Target System” ⇒ “Mediatek Ralink ARM”

• “Subtarget” => 32bit

• “Target Profile” ⇒ Default Profile (minimum package set))

Finally, you can find BPI-R2 FW in lede/bin/target/mediatek/32 directory.

Thank you for the instructions.

When I run make menuconfig I only have 32bit listed under the Subtarget menu. How do I get the option for MT7623 based boards?

Please follow above steps and try it again, thanks.

Thank you very much for the informations. I now have LEDE compiled, and in my “lede/bin/target/mediatek/32” directory are these files: “config.seed”, “lede-mediatek-32-default.manifest”, “lede-mediatek-32-mt7623-NAND-ePHY-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar”, “lede-mediatek-32-root.squashfs”, “sha256sums”, “lede-mediatek-32-bananapi,bpi-r2-sysupgrade.tar”, “lede-mediatek-32-mediatek,mt7623-rfb-emmc-sysupgrade.tar”, “lede-mediatek-32-mt7623-NAND-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar”, and a directory named “packages”. What do we have to do to flash LEDE onto the SD card to boot the Banana PI R2 from it?

As i guessed in a few days ago that lede support would be coming soon and it did happen. is there default uboot on the emmc boot? that what i meant is maybe you can use to upgrade the image through the default uboot in emmc with the result you built “lede-mediatek-32-mediatek,mt7623-rfb-emmc-sysupgrade.tar”.

Othersiwse, you have to apply it through sd booting which i felt that is hard enough to general people in especial not familar embededd linux developement. but i also address them in the rough sequences as below …

1. firstly, build a sd card with able booting

2. secondly, using the uboot from step 1. to replace the old uImage with lede-mediatek-32-mediatek,mt7623-rfb-emmc-sysupgrade.tar, which i guessed it should be the certian ramdisk helping to upgrade with the normal and big image writing down into emmc.

3. thirdly, boot to shell with new image applied from step 2. execute “some command” to upgrade normal and big image i said in step 2.