NEW BPI R3 - How to load image on eMMC

I think this applies to R2-Pro but not to R3 (which doesn’t have a button labeled markrom/sw1).

Oh,sorry,you’re right

Was not aware that there are official images for r3 yet

The files from the zip seems all be complete images (different dts configs) except the bl2 one. Last 2 openwrt. So try one you select by filename flashing to sdcard at sector 0. Emmc is not directly reachable as it shares mmc-controller with sdcard. you need to boot from a spim-storage between sdcard and emmc. These have its own bl2 and are not packed into the zip. Basicly flash the image and then bl2 over it (bl2 partition).

Or use daniels openwrt as a start. I have not yet build a complete image as i want to get the basic things (including sfp) working first.

As i told somewhere else…bpi-r3 is not yet enduser ready it still in developement and hardware may change

Do it yourself.

2022-09-14 12:39 PM

https://wiki.banana-pi.org/Getting_Started_with_BPI-R3#How_to_burn_image_to_onboard_eMMC

Hello, I followed the tutorial successfully. Thanks for your sharing ! However, I encounter a problem. Every time I customize the system, it resets on reboot… What did I do wrong?

Did you use official OpenWrt or SinoVoip-provided image?

I tried both. The official image (snapshot) has the minimal packages installed, which makes it difficult to use. The other image works on the first try but resets on every boot. Also, for the official image, I don’t know what should be written on the eMMC.

To use the official OpenWrt image, step by step:

1. Download https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mediatek/filogic/openwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-sdcard.img.gz .

2. Decompress image using graphical tool or in the console:

gzip -d openwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-sdcard.img.gz
  1. Write decompressed image to microSD card, either using a graphical image writing tool or in the console:
dd if=openwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-sdcard.img of=/dev/mmcblk0
  1. Connect USB-to-serial 3.3V-TTL-level converter to debug UART of the board, start terminal program with 115200 baud, 8N1, VT110 emulation.

Now use this mciroSD card to boot the R3. OpenWrt will start and all data will be stored on the microSD card. You can also install OpenWrt to SPI-NOR, SPI-NAND or eMMC and boot from there by selecting the option to install in the boot menu shown early in U-Boot phase.

If you do not have the serial console connected, the installation can also be triggered by setting the bootcmd variable in the U-Boot environment, which is possible also from within the started Linux/OpenWrt. However, I wouldn’t recommend working with the board without a serial console at this stage.

Ok, it’s a bit clearer now. I hadn’t seen it that way…

I will see to tinker a serial adapter with my tools from my Raspberry Pi. I’ll try tonight and let you know.

Thank you !

Hello, I installed the openwrt on eMMC, as indicated in this tutorial, please tell me why the changes are not saved in openwrt, neither through luci nor through the console.

Hi dude !

Just read the instructions before your message :slight_smile:

Thank you ! It work fine with serial console connected :hugs: I’m on the last version (built today) and the settings remains after cold reboot.

For the others, I wrote the image to SD card, then the menu prompt to install.

Thank you so much ! :blush:

thanks for the hint, I thought that the manufacturer took care of the firmware, so I did not immediately turn to the official openwrt image.

Can you tell me how to connect wireless interfaces? In my opinion, there is no wifi support in the official firmware.

When using OpenWrt, wifi interfaces should be detected out of the box. They are disabled by default though and you need to edit /etc/config/wireless to enable them. Or install LuCI and use the Web-UI to setup wifi.

1 Like

I have become old, I can no longer look at the menu. Thanks again.