Dissapointment continues

Dude chill out, it’s a development board and for the most part it is fully open-source on OpenWRT github theyre just waiting on the FW for the card, the factory BPI OpenWRT is proprietary but that doesn’t matter since you can just flash mainline on it

2 Likes

You should have learned to read first, before buying, instead of coming here and randomly insulting people.

You paid for the hardware. You didn’t pay for the software nor the support.

2 Likes

I’m using it but it’s with unofficial images, with kernel 6.6.49 I think I remember, I’m telling you from memory, because I have everything disassembled now, obviously it works perfectly, only you don’t have wifi7,

you have wifi 6, but really the rest is openwrt working perfectly.

The only thing is that you can’t put links in the forum, or send private messages with the links, or ask for email, the messages have been filtered.

But there are images in all the parts that work perfectly except for wifi 7, which don’t work.

But in the ones we have here it didn’t work either, so it’s the same.

“Well silly me for thinking that the BPi project wiki doesnt provide links to the proper software to run on it.”

→ You paid for the hardware!

“I suppose you wouldnt mind telling me WHERE to find the proper software then? Or are you just posting useless comments?”

→ YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT that the community develops the software (Daniel, Frank …).

AND It is still not finished. :melting_face:

Please load the software from here: https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/ → as far as I know, the wifi 7 BE14 NIC driver are not YET implementat!

For the open-source community, Wi-Fi 7 (from MediaTek) is cutting-edge. They need time! This is “the price” we have to sell! But it is open scource :upside_down_face:

It could be that everything you do was right! :+1: You just have to wait! I think after I read your text it is better to came back next year!

Perhaps it’s better for you to sell this on eBay! As long as you get “good money” for the Wi-Fi 7 board, you’ll quickly find someone who is willing to pay for it! This board is for makers, software developers, and hardware developers …

After your intervention, I was on the side of Banana Pi:

grafik

But now you know about Banana Pi. They take the newest microchips and solder them onto a PCB, creating a single-board computer for people who want to play with it! :slightly_smiling_face:

If you criticize that this information is not on the R4 site! → Yes, you are right. But that’s it!

I think you didn’t understand the environment you’re in. Some things in your comments above are really NOT okay!

→ “nuclear holocaust grade bad communication”

→ “PIECE OF CRAP”

→ “absolute shit”

I do not want to read this again!

4 Likes

If there had been HONEST information out there about it, I would not be pissed off.

If it had been advertised as an ARM SBC with a bunch of ethernet ports and some PCIe slots, I wouldnt be annoyed.

But it isnt.

I wouldnt have bought the useless wifi card with unfinished proprietary firmware - If I wanted that, I could have bought literally any other PCIe WiFi card.

I’ve said plenty of positive things about the product, but no-one from BPi is willing to acknowledge the bad. This kind of Terrible Communication ™ is the sort of thing that makes it imossible to trust Sinovip, or is it BPI - so many names, so little real information.

The missing support of be14 (and its cause) in upstream openwrt is posted here multiple times…

E.g. here:

There is also some work needed at least for MLO,RSS/LRO and some parts are working,but not yet upstreamed.

So why was it ever advertised as a WiFi 7 router?

at best it is a wifi7 router devkit with no working support yet.

I bought it (a long time ago now) because I read the wiki, and I could see that there appeared to be not one, but several wifi options, all of which had “dumps” showing network interfaces, “instructions” etc.

When it arrived, there was NO wifi card (despite the main board being advertised / sold with pictures showing the card fitted), so what arrived in my hands was NOT a WiFi 7 router, but actually an ARM SBC NON-WIFI router.

That was annoying enough, but I waited, and the WiFi “7” board eventually arrived MONTHS later (the adverts for the BE14000 had “buy now” buttons, but there was zero stock for a very long time - why advertise it for sale when it doesnt exist yet?)

I then found out that the firmware (according to the BPI Wiki) will NOT be open source (as promised), and that the current (CLOSED SOURCE) firmware isnt even that - it is at best “test code” for the chipset.

It DOES NOT integrate with OpeWRT in the expected way at all. It DOES NOT work (only one of my WiFi6 devices can even see it).

I visited the link you posted. It’s not helpful.

Allow me to explain how - and this is the perspective of an OSS dev with 30 odd years experience working on the linux kernel and other projects:

You write: Openwrt does not have yet support for be14 because we have only a test firmware

You find both patches here

GitHub

Commits · frank-w/BPI-Router-Linux

Linux kernel 4.14+ for BPI-R2, 5.4+ for R64, 6.1+ for R2Pro and R3 - Commits · frank-w/BPI-Router-Linux

“In openwrt you have to patch mt76 package instead of kernel version.”

Now English may not be your first language (and I’m bilingual, so dont act like I’m a monolingual English speaker being critical of others), but that sentence is not useful;

1. Ok, I have to “patch the mt76 package”. How? Where is it? Where are the patches? What build environment is required?
  2. “Instead of the kernel version” - This just makes no sense? how do you “patch” a kernel version? Patch a kernel, sure - but a kernel version is just a number, like 5.1.0 etc. What are you on about? What patches?

You go on to write:

“Then put firmware files to right folder (/lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7996/)”

Great. What firmware files? Where do i find them? what are their filenames and purpose(s)? How can I tell I have the right ones? what are their md5sums?

Following the links ends up at a git repo for some random kernel. But thats all it is. Where is the build guide? How do I find the build environment etc.

In short - You claim this is a devkit so that people can join in the dev work etc.

How do you expect people to replicate your work, if you make no attempt whatsoever to provide instructions on HOW to replicate your build? OpenWRT is more than just a kernel - you should know this, of all people - so why do you not actually provide anything of use?

Sure, if I was already an OpenWRT dev, and knew the OpenWRT developers methods and procedures, and was part of your “inner circle”, then maybe all this would be super obvious - but I am NOT.

If you just wanted to build a few of these for the OpenWRT devs to play with, then WHY were they put on sale, with hyped up adverts that made the whole project look like a fait accompli?

I bought this product because when you look at the adverts, the wiki, the forums, etc., as a prospective buyer, what you see is something that appears to be a fully functional prototype.

It’s not. The main ARM SBC is legitimately a devboard, and thats OK. Advertise it as such. It ISNT a WiFi7 router in any stretch of the imagination.

The product as a whole (including the WiFi “7” board, STILL isnt a WiFi “7” router, and honestly, I think it’s a joke to even call it a devkit.

Comparing it to other devkits (and I’ve bought AND been happy with) hundreds of these over the years, it has NO instructions on how to get started. There is NO set of instructions on setting up the build environment. There is no obvious way to download a “known good” snapshot of the source code and replicate the build.

If you actually want people to join the development effort, then you NEED to stop playing with your new hardware toys for a moment, and take the time to actually write a guide on how to replicate your work.

Otherwise, all you have is an “in crowd” of your friends, who, to an outsider, appear to have scammed a LOT of money out of people like myself to fund their hobby, and have closed the door to anyone else gaining the knowledge needed to properly participate in the project.

Because hardware itself is capable to wifi7 standards (at the time of design -wifi 7 specs were not completely finished)…that means nothing about software support.

There was a internal wifi-board (basicly be19) when public sale of base R4,but there are some problems with heat and stability. So BPI choosing to redesign the wifi board as BE14 which has different frontends not supported by the upstreamed firmware yet. MTK is about to upstream the Patches and firmware,but it takes some time,so we need to do it manually and using a testing firmware which may not support all features.

BPI boards are development Boards and no ready to use devices.

The 2 patches are in the tree i linked,but as i patch kernel “version” (drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt76) and openwrt clones standalone mt76 instead (GitHub - openwrt/mt76: mac80211 driver for MediaTek MT76x0e, MT76x2e, MT7603, MT7615, MT7628 and MT7688) you have to remove path in the patch file and put in the right folder (afaik packages/mt76).

I’no openwrt dev too,i work against mainline kernel and use debian as rootfs.

My linked thread has 2 patches for wifi…one is the code patch for mt76 and one adds the testing firmware to source tree

Currently i have too less time to get things working, i have made all public so far,but cannot do a basic step-by-step guide as some parts are changing and hold this all in actual state requires much time. My repos creating ready to use debian/ubuntu images with the latest version of my kernel,but needs a bit configuration…my state is that i have all interfaces up,but not yet started hostapd on all to get working wifi connection.

Most users want openwrt,but this also takes time and is limited to licensing of the firmware added…as there is no official one it cannot be added to openwrt master.

In general, are MTK or someone else going to release an open version of the be14 driver? For me, official firmware from the openwrt website is a kind of standard (fast, clean). My attempts to build my firmware with support for the packages I need on the 6.6.50 kernel with be14 support cause headaches and frustration, because I just compiled the firmware from the danpawlik repository, and its wifi also does not work. Please explain in more detail, where should patches for be14 be placed? At what stage? What needs to be done for makeconfig to detect these patches

MTK will release it when it’s ready which I hope is soon

In this mounth? Open driver?

Its the fw and driver will be open source ofc I’m not sure when tho

1 Like

It’s not about you Marazm, it’s about the banana team and especially about sinovoip bpi team Leader.

I bought it from the sinovoip bpi team Leader store.

these are the links and it says wifi 7 in openwrt

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005006860341878.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.20.21ef194dofgqlo&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

Banana Pi BPI-R4 Suit with Cases MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880) quad-core Arm Corex-A73 4GB DDR4 8GB eMMC Openwrt Router Board

and here is the module that I also bought from the

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005007223308239.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.21ef194dofgqlo&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

Banana Pi BPI-R4-NIC-BE14 wifi7 module, accessories for BPI-R4.

where is the openwrt that sells the same one that is the sinovoip bpi team Leader.

why doesn’t he give us an explanation?

If mediatek makes the be14000 module, they would also sell you the drivers, in the wiki it is announced, openwrt,debain .ubuntu, it turns out that none of the 3 are prepared for wifi7.

either the banana team has not been up to par, or there is something that we are missing.

This is announced from June 1, 23 sinovoip bpi team Leader

This is announced on the wiki.

MediaTek MT7988 (Filogic 880) Mediatek Filogic 880. The 36Gbps Wi-Fi 7 access point/router/gateway platform delivers the fastest and most reliable connection experience.

The MediaTek MT7988A is a world-leading network processing platform for reliable, high-performance network experiences in both wired and wireless applications. The MT7988A features a wide array of connection interfaces including 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 2 USB-GMII interfaces, 4 PCIe interfaces, and 2 USB 3.2-in-1 ports.

The MT7988A also enables seamless tri-band Wi-Fi 7 connectivity of 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz, with its Wi-Fi 7 companion chip featuring 320MHz bandwidth, 4096-QAM, MLO, MRU, and AFC.

To meet the need for rapidly evolving tunneling applications, the MT7988A comes with the MediaTek Tunnel Offload Processor System (TOPS), which facilitates the processing of a wide range of tunneling protocols. The MT7988A optimizes network performance with MediaTek TOPS’s exquisitely tuned ISA, and is dedicated to elevating network offload performance to a higher level.

Key Features MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880) Quad-core Arm Corex-A73 Processor, 1.8GHz 4GB DDR4 8GB eMMC Flash Memory 128MB SPI-NAND Flash Memory Micro SD Card Slot 2x 10GbE SFP Slots (Optional 1x 10GbE SFP Slot and 1x 2.5GbE PHY Slot Integrated on SOC. NOTE: Hardware modification required) 4x Gbe Network Ports 1x USB 3.2 Slot 1x M.2 KEY-B Slot with USB3.2/PCIe3.0 Interface for 5G 1x M.2 KEY-M Slot with 1-Lane PCIe3.0 Interface for NVME SSD 2x miniPCIe Slot with 2-Lane PCIe3.0 Interface for Wi-Fi 7 NIC (Network Interface Card) Header 26 PIN GPIO for expanding application Customizable POE function (current version does not support POE function) Application address Internet service router Wifi 7 wireless router 4G/5G wireless router Wireless repeater Home security gateway Home automation NAS device Networking and communication applications

why don’t we have openwrt at least that is what they sell in their aliexpress store, a working firmware.

in his store he makes it very clear Banana Pi - MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880) Smart Router Board, Quad-Core, Arm BPI-R4, 4GB, DDR4, 8GB, eMMC, Openwrt Compatible

where is at least the firmware compatible with openwrt, why is he selling us the wifi 7 module advertised in his store also Banana Pi BPI-R4-NIC-BE14 wifi7 module, accessories for BPI-R4

We would like an explanation from the Sinovoip BPI Team Leader, as to why he sells something that is not true.

I think he should be the one to give us the explanation.

If you look at the description on the Aliexpress page, you will see the wonders that the wifi module speaks of, the 4G and 5G module, the wifi7 that it has, and above all that it says Openwrt Router Board in its sales presentation of the router, since now it sells everything together: the wifi7 module, antennas, box, everything except the power supply in the most expensive kit that it has.

A year and 3 months later, they don’t even have a working openwrt as advertised on their store.

So if you choose to spend less money on hardware, by buying a development board, then I think you shouldn’t complain it is a development board…

1 Like

Uhm mediatek is the one to provide the drivers, production ready drivers can’t just be released like that, it has to go through certifications and testing

Also just because something says compatible doesn’t mean it comes with it or is working yet

Here is a thought:

Instead of spending your time on writing these large negative comments, please help and contribute to the community and help developing. You are enjoying open-source which depends on this kind of contributions.

3 Likes

Please this is addressed to the leader of the sinovoip bpi team, who after a year and 3 months, is supposed to have the drivers and is capable of doing everything he advertises in his store in his description.

All he is doing is profiting from something that is not real, he should give an explanation of the creator and that he says it is compatible with openwrt, so prove that it is and give us an image with the latest kernel.

If he or his team is not prepared to give us an openwrt with the latest bootloader and wifi 7 as advertised on aliexpress, he should give the drivers to the openwrt community, make it truly open source, then we will have openwrt.

I await your reply sinovoip bpi

This is ridiculous you all knew what you’re getting into and you’re complaining it’s dev board that’s supported by the community, it did not claim at any point to come with the software, and the drivers are to be released by mediatek not sinovoip

1 Like

I think you got excited buying the BPI-R4 with the WiFi 7 module thinking that everything would work without any problems, but the reality is that it still needs half a year to a year of driver development and the reason it takes so long is simple, is that the drivers are “open source” and “free”, which means there is no money involved (maybe some “hardware” donations to the maintainers and developers of open source drivers), so companies like MediaTek have no motivation or desire to quickly support anything related to WiFi 7, MLO, RSS/LRO, etc., this always happens with “open source” stuff and it’s not new, because for companies open source (free) means losses.

If you feel scammed and don’t want to wait for MediaTek to do their job and release working open source drivers (hopefully without any issues), I think you should return the BPI-R4 and the WiFi 7 module and buy the Banana Pi BPI-R3, which is a “plug and play” WiFi 6 router that works perfectly and you don’t need to do any juggling to make it work like the BPI-R4, I’m sure you will be satisfied.

The hardware is already there, but the “open source” software/drivers are missing and it seems that MediaTek doesn’t even give it importance or priority.

@Francisco @spyro

Good morning, I’m still waiting for the answer from Sinovoip BPI Team Leader and he knows very well why.

SpectreDev@ I’m answering you out of politeness, if he hadn’t had the drivers he would have been unable to do anything, they were given to him by mediatek when he bought it, the product’s board is made especially for banana pir r4

Thanks@, I’m answering you out of politeness, regarding the drivers in the wiki, if you notice, it says it very clearly.

OpenWRT MTK MP3.1 wifi SDK or MT76 wifi driver for BE14000 Wifi Card.

MTK vendor’s MP3.1 wifi driver sourcecode can’t be open source. only release Image.

OpenWRT MTK MP4.0 wifi SDK wifi driver for BE14000 Wifi Card.

MTK vendor’s MP4.0 wifi driver sourcecode can’t be open source. only release Image.

As you can see, there is very little open source code in these images, if I had donated them to the openwrt community and its developers I would have done a decent job and not the images that are on the wiki.

I repeat, I am still waiting for the Sinovoip BPI Team Leader’s answer, or will I need to take out all the messages I have with him on Aliexpress?

Fortunately or unfortunately, I don’t know if life will give me the half year or year that is needed to be able to see the great work of the banana team, I hope it gives it to me and I can eat my words and go out again to thank the banana team, but I am sure that if I had donated the drivers that it has to the openwrt community, surely if I had done it we would already have openwrt wifi 7, their team is the one that has not given a damn even with the first images of the wiki…

Another thing is that thanks to what I worked on in life, I already have wifi7 at home but not openwrt, they are 10gb wifi 7 routers and mesh with 2 other wifi7 routers.

Buy Banana Pi BPI-R3, there are better openwrt wifi 6 routers than that one that sell for the price they sell it for, and at half the price

I want him to tell me what you have told me Thanks@, but that it is the words of his mouth and not the messages I have from aliexpress that are very different, and he made me waste my time for 3 days.

And more if you have seen the aliexpress page and its description, you will see that what they are looking for is economically, without having anything to offer the community and less to the one who buys it.

I await your response Sinovoip BPI Team Leader

1 Like