Can't boot from emmc

• Image : 2017-09-04-ubuntu-16.04-mate-desktop-bpi-r2-sd-emmc-v1.2.0.img.zip

I followed the guide of emmc boot as the following url.

http://forum.banana-pi.org/t/bpi-r2-new-image-ubuntu-16-04-mate-desktop-docker-preview2-bpi-r2-sd-emmc-img-2017-08-01/3615/2

The process is like this.

How to boot from eMMC:

boot from SD

sudo su

echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk1boot0/force_ro #enable /dev/mmcblk1boot0 write mode

bpi-bootsel BPI-R2-EMMC-boot0-0k.img.gz /dev/mmcblk1boot0 #write once

bpi-copy /path_to_your_image/xxx.img.zip

poweroff

remove SD & power on

But it doesn’t work.

SD card booting always success. However emmc booting fails after bpi-copy the image.

Just RGB LED is on.

How to boot from emmc ?

Thanks for your information, I will debug this issue, will update you when I find the root cause.

Hi Aesop

I think this problem is cuased by the wrong partition configuration, please follow below steps to correct it(please note that the ubuntu image on emmc will be damaged):

1. install the SD card with LEDE test image, we can get the image from link http://pan.baidu.com/s/1eS1pRCA, also more information about this image in link BPI-R2 New image : Openwrt/LEDE 2017-09-08

2. Power on the R2 board,

3. After the u-boot prompt “BPI-R2>” appears, please enter the command “emmc ecsd” to check partition configuration, on your board, the partition configuration should be 0h

[EXT_CSD] Partition config      : 0h

4. Then run command “emmc pconf 0x48” to change it

5. Power off this board, remove SD card, and then power it on, the board will boot with lede test image which is stored in EMMC.

6. The ubuntu system you programmed to EMMC has been damaged yet, need to re-program it, so sorry for this.

Please let me know if you have any question…

Hi Gary! Looks like your workaround works fine. Thank you!

Thanks for your feedback, let us know if you have any problem.

It really works. Next release image will be OK for this problem, right?

In addition, hope R2 BT to be ready soon, too.

Thank you!

1 Like

Flash actual uboot to any image (e.g. debian,ubuntu,…) boot from it and do steps above in uboot