[BPI-R4] Successfully upgraded 8GB RAM on BPI-R4

Please write what memory chips you used. And please show me a photo with the new chips. Thank you in advance!

Now he has updated the pictures, you can take a look.

I can’t see all signs clearly. Can I take a photo in normal quality? Or finally write what kind of chips were used, is it really that difficult?

bz Can you see clearly?

Perfect! Thanks a lot!

H5ANBG6NAM RXNC BGA96 4G

Has anyone looked into overclocking the SDRAM on R4 ? It seems locked at 3200 from my brief check. Worth digging down the rabbit hole?

Edit: I think it’s near impossible to tweak the timings. Happy to be proved wrong.

As an aside, stumbled on this while doing research.

8GB Raspberry Pi 5 has slightly less measured bandwidth than 4GB RPi 5 :point_right: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=369585&sid=41232f7554f75cff05c377638a393a1f&start=25

Is it really 4GB? As per specification I see 32G? :confused:

I see in such a case this chip could be also used: K4ABG165WA-MCWE

Pretty sure those are 32 Gigabit chips, so you have to divide by eight which gives you the 4GB.

Found this video

Yes you may can do this in this way … but it is also possible to be a bit more “careful”:

→ backside heating with hot plate (120°C)

→ covering other parts on top side with aluminium foil

→ slow cooling after soldering

→ right choice of flux and soldering paste

But in general → this is the way :+1:

Might be interesting to poll if there are enough people willing to pay for a 8GB variant to make possible to set up a production line instead of trying their luck with flux&heat gun