[BPI-R4] BE14 mainline openwrt configuration

Yes, with LuCI enabled

Does WiFi 7 work on this firmware?

Do I need to repeat myself? Yes it does.

I tried it, there is no 6Ghz support, no fan control (fans always run at 100% speed) and I am somehow unable to save the configuration (it doesn’t survive reboot)

Your device doesn’t support 6Ghz then or your device is sold in a country with restricted 6Ghz band. The image itself works, I can connect to 6Ghz without a problem. Regarding the fan control - this is something with the MTK image - I didn’t include any changes to it.

I am connected to 6Ghz using the June mediatek image (I reverted back to it) and it works fine, I have multiple WiFi 7 devives that work fine over 6Ghz. In your build the 6Ghz network is visible in the WiFi menu but no device actually see the access point.

I did set country to FR (France) in the router wifi interface option, so perhaps that’s not supported on this build.

A Macbook Pro (with Wifi 6E) and US reg can see and connect to it, on channel 37. It’s possible to build an image with completely empty reg parameters, I just didn’t want to modify anything in the MTK image. For future reference:

Too buggy but at least I was able to make first tests and find out that card can work … somehow … . Snapshot version does not work at all for me …

This is the first official driver release from MTK for the 24.x OpenWRT, I don’t know what part do you call buggy or what you expect it to work like, but it clearly says “first alpha” in their release notes. Unless you need some special setups I don’t see why it can’t be used as a daily driver for a dumb AP, at least until we have better patches and mainline support. If you want stability then BPI-R3 is a much better choice.

I did a quick tests

1. 2.4 seems to work well
  2. After first start 5Ghz mode is not selected … but I can see and connect to network. If I select AX and 160Mhz … apply … and nothing … network just disappears. If I reboot router it deselect mode … and become again empty. 80Mhz also does not work … 40Mhz also … it seams that only 20Mhz channel width works …
  3. For the moment Ive no antennas for wifi 7 but it has no options to select channel … channel width
  4. And as as mentioned before … cpu cooler always 100% speed and etc … as I told i did a quick test

It can’t be used as a daily driver because 6Ghz clearly doesn’t work properly and fans are set to always run at 100% speed, so unless you have that “dumb ap” in some isolated server room or are running the board passively cooled, the noise would be unbearable in any living space.

Also it doesn’t do MLO, but that’s a minor gripe.

That was enough reasons for me to revert to the June 21.02 build.

standard cpu cooler is quite …

On your setup, important to note that. Works on mine so it’s not an issue with the build. Most phones will use LAR to discover the appropriate country and will fail if most APs in your area are not from a region where 6ghz is enabled. Many people don’t understand this and blame it on a faulty or bad drivers from the BPI-R4 side.

This is not related to anything, the default just sets the fans to 100% which is the safest thing to do with the board. Want to redefine it, use something like:

Or configure thermal zones trip points: root@bpi-r4-v11:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0

cat trip_point_4_temp

40000 root@bpi-r4-v11:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0

cat trip_point_3_temp

85000 root@bpi-r4-v11:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0

echo 45000 > trip_point_3_temp

root@bpi-r4-v11:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0

echo 35000 > trip_point_4_temp

root@bpi-r4-v11:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0

If you want a “plug&play” device, you should get consumer TP-Link.

I tried 6Ghz on a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra and on a laptop with BE200 after setting the access point region to either FR (I am in France) or US and it didn’t work (the access point isn’t even visible), while it works when using the 21.02 image from banana-pi.

country FR: DFS-ETSI (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (100 mW) (5150 - 5250 @ 80), (200 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, AUTO-BW, wmmrule=ETSI (5250 - 5350 @ 80), (100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS, AUTO-BW, wmmrule=ETSI (5470 - 5725 @ 160), (500 mW), DFS, wmmrule=ETSI # short range devices (ETSI EN 300 440-1) (5725 - 5875 @ 80), (25 mW) # WiFi 6E low power indoor (5945 - 6425 @ 160), (23), NO-OUTDOOR, wmmrule=ETSI # 60 GHz band channels 1-6 (ETSI EN 302 567 v2.2.1) (57000 - 71000 @ 2160), (40)

EU doesn’t allow 6g with the default wireless-regdb config as well, you must apply my patch. Since I never used the stock image, I cannot tell why it worked for you. BE200, lol, this is the worst candidate, we wrote about it more specifically on:

Intel (and your Android) will use LAR to lock your region based on nearby access points. If you want to really test it, get a proper Linux/Mac device and make diagnostics, things like “it doesn’t work” are not really helpful. Logs are.

1 Like

I am using the BE200 in the client, not on the BPI R4 (access point) itself. I am using the Banana Pi BE14000 card for wifi on the BPI R4.

The Intel BE200 works fine on all of the Windows 11 24H2 laptops I have used it in.

Good day. Why your build doesn’t save configuration? After reboot all change are rollback.

This is the MTK build from their branch, according to their instructions, however it does save configs for me at least what is related to wifi, can you describe what is exactly not working?

Surprisingly, your build works well, wifi devices work perfectly, 2.4, 5, 6 I can’t check yet, because I’m waiting for wifi7 m2 adapter, there is even the possibility of installing packages from the repository via update, install, but when saving the configuration, say wifi, everything works, but until you reboot, as soon as I reboot, the wifi settings are reset to the initial ones, as if I just wrote it to sd. And also constant fan rotation at maximum.

I have been trying to build an image several times using the MTK instructions, but I always get an error and the image build stops. Can you tell me some nuances? How did you build the image?