BPI-R4 - any information?

There are SFP to Ethernet converters. Also possible to use your own SFP+ XGS-PON ONT, depending on the ISP

Sure, i know But hopefully an adapter wonā€™t be needed

My ISP uses XFP and is using NG-PON2 for 40G with wavelength bonding. Just to be clear, this is their residential offering, or rather future offering.

Personally want onboard ECC memory and ethernet ports above 2.5G. Filogic880 should be a good option. I know itā€™s not realistic, but I wish I could have it with PoE output.

Board suppor two 10G SFP port ,also can use as one 10G + 2.5G ETH with PoE support .PoE function design on board ,but max support 30W . if your need more than 30W ,need to use DC power.

%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_20230530143001

Hy. It sounds nice ( for the 2 sfp+) Can you give us more informations?

How will this work @sinovoip? I see the SFP connector on behind ethernet one, and no second SFP cage. Will there be 2 versions available to buy?

Yes, the hardware has two support modes, but the public release is supposed to be the dual 10G SFP version, You can only choose between the 10G SFP and the built-in 2.5G PHY. With 2.5G PHY, you can add POE PD module

below is 2 10G SFP , not support PoE without PoE module

%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_20230601085205

1 Like

Hy Have you more informations : number of mpcie, m2 slot, ram, mangeable les ans buttons?

we will update on wiki when we ready. now just under development

can you make pwm-signal on for r4 to 5v on the 3-pin jack and rotate the socket by 180 degrees to make sure the cable-colors are right (currently red is pwm and yellow is 5v). maybe do last for r3 too if there is a newer hw-revision

does r4 use still 7531 as switch? so here sfp+ makes not much sense as it can operate only at 2g5 and this will not go to the cpu as there is also only 2g5 with rj45 jacks together

I recently read that it is built-in: [PATCH 15/15] dt-bindings: net: dsa: mediatek,mt7530: add mediatek,mt7988-switch - Daniel Golle (kernel.org)

1 Like

So switch is connected with a stateless 10g link,but where (which speed) is for second sfp+. Like on r3 it can never reach full speed (here 10g),but also 5g is nice if all other ports (i guess 5 rj45 too) having full load.

I woner about daniels posting aboveā€¦if i can use either 2g5 or uxsgmii (should be 10g), there only the link to the switch,right? And so both sfp+ are connected to the switch.

More ram will be a must-have (at least 4gb,better 8) and multiple usb3 (5g card+external ones),maybe sata.

Is there more information about wifi? 2g4+5g+6g or 5g/6g on 1 frontend (so basicly same as r3,but with 6g band)?

On another board sata is multiplexed with m.2 key-e.(both 1 lane). There is a m.2 key-e connector on the board. To use sata you can use a passive m.2 to sata converter. Perhapse it can be applied on R4 also.

The MT7988A comes with three 10G Ethernet MACs.

The first MAC (eth0) can be internally muxed as the CPU port to the built-in MT7530 switch offering 4x 1000Base-T as user ports.

The second MAC (eth1) can be internally muxed to connect to a built-in 2500Base-T PHY. Or it can be connected to a 10G SerDes providing USXGMII, 5GBase-KR or 10GBase-KR, or use the 2500Base-X/1000Base-X/SGMII SerDes already known since MT7622/MT7531.

The third MAC (eth2) is always connected to the 10G SerDes, and can also use the 2500Base-X/1000Base-X/SGMII SerDes.

Hence I assume that the two SFP+ cages are connected to the 2nd and 3rd MAC (eth1 and eth2) of the MT7988A SoC. As such you should be able to NAT/route (or bridge with the help of the bridger eBPF tool) at 10G speed between the two SFP+ cages with the help of MediaTekā€™s Packet Processor Engines (PPE) for flow-based offloading present in the SoC.

I hope they will choose tri-band Wi-Fi 7 with 4T4R for 2.4G, 5G and 6Gā€¦

1 Like

Thx for the info. Got a block schematic which says 3-bandā€¦4x4 2g4 with 7975 frontend, 5g 4x4 with mt7977 and 6g 4x5 with 7977 too

Wifi seems to be connected via usb3

And yes sdp+ cages are connected to the 2 usxgmii

M.2 seems 2 slots,key e for 4g/5g (usb2+3) and a key m for nvme with usb3

And it looks there is an rtc on board. Storage sdmmc,emmc and spi-nand

Key m should be good for general purpose PCIe, including an extra wi-fi adapter if anyone wants one.

Iā€™m not sure how I feel about that. Will this limit PPE/WED?

Is there any indication on whether sdmmc and emmc can be used simultaneously?

My faultā€¦looked wrong,wifi is connected via pcie3ā€¦seems mt7988 has 1 2lane/2ports pcie (used for wifi,both ports) and one 1lane pcie used for m.2

Sd is connected vis different spi than nand,emmc is own controller,so it looks like they can be used independly

Two lanes for WiFi, even WiFi 7, is overkill, but it would likely have been difficult to split it up any other way. Iā€™m very happy to see WiFi is on PCIe.

All in all you bring great newsā€¦ this board keeps sounding better and better!

wifi 7 module on board.:grinning:

Banana%20Pi%20BPI-R4%20wifi%207

1 Like