[BPI-R3] Thermal zone statistics

Hi, since i use openwrt on my device, I have a problem in the thermal zone page. i am now using openwrt stable 23.05.0

i installed the statistics that way :

opkg install collectd
opkg install lm-sensors
opkg install collectd-mod-sensors
opkg install collectd-mod-thermal
opkg install luci-app-statistics

i enabled the thermal pluggin

and configured this way :

My problem is that “pictures” missing in the thermal page zone, i don’t know what it tries to display.

Hello, will the displayed temperature problem ever be fixed? (on mt7915_phy1)

Afaik the issue is stalled

1 Like

I have this same problem. In my country we have harsh summers with high temperatures. Should I do anything to fix this incorrect temperature reading?

Thanks in advance.

Imho this is caused by wrong calibrationbdata so the correct way would be passing the right calibration data to the driver but i do not know how

why sinovoip doesn’t give any help on this ??

1 Like

Well, my only concern on this topic is if anyone knows about any stability issues in warm weather conditions.

The problem is only for 1 of 2 thermal sensors on wifi frontend. If you adjust temperature regulation (fan,shutdown,…) on the soc (and ignore the frontend temp) you should be on good way :slight_smile:

1 Like

For fan, I have these lines on /etc/rc.local

echo 45000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_4_temp
echo 45000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_3_temp
echo 45000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp
echo 45000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_1_temp

What would be the temperature regulation for shutdown on the soc?

What you are looking for is trip_point_0_temp (critical):

→ 125°C

I asked in another chat, why you choose the same temperature for all tripping points? The trip_points connect temperature with PWM:

trip_point_4 → active → fan running normal → pwm1 = 255

trip_point_3 → active → fan running fast → pwm1 = 96

trip_point_2 → active → fan running very fast → pwm1 = 0

trip_point_1 → hot → fan running normal → pwm1 = 255

trip_point_0 → critical → reboot

You can not change the temparature of trip_point_0 (as far as I now) this will cause a reboot (I tried :slightly_smiling_face:).

PWN: If you understand how PWN ist defind (between 0 and 255), than it becomes clear, that trip_point_2 is the fastest mode which is defind right now.

Additionaly I found no way to turn the fan off.

Are you in the same room with the router over night (noisy fan)? And if you are live in a hot area, than the nights are cold? And even if not, you can try this:

echo 35000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_4_temp

echo 40000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_3_temp

echo 45000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp

or:

echo 35000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_4_temp

echo 45000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_3_temp

echo 55000 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_2_temp

I’m not sure that “this chat” is the right place. The topic is about W-Lan chips temperature not CPU. There are other chats too:

1 Like

pwm values are defined here:

for the corresponding lower 3 trip points (or highest based on the names youve posted).

the hot and critical trip are not defined for fan usage (no cooling level)

they are used for system/thermal driver to limit cpu usage (trottle down as far as possible - r3 have no pmic so real throttle is not possible only by killing processes or software-limiting) and the critical forces system-shutdown

Thanks, good information :slightly_smiling_face:! I will delate some lines in my answer

( :see_no_evil: looks not finished… :see_no_evil:).

So, it make sense, to change the temperature for trip_point_1? The fan runs after activating trip_point_2 with 100%, an if the temperature increses more, trip_point_1 will decrese the performance? This sounds good!

But … the fan runs normal. I have to think about … :see_no_evil: :upside_down_face: