[BPI-R2 Pro] Debian Bullseye / Ubuntu 22.04

Hello I use SD card and when ı ypload this image file to sd card and i reboot bpi r2 pro board it always stay at this point Ekran%20Al%C4%B1nt%C4%B1s22%C4%B1 İ always use maskroom button to pass here .Could you please helpğ me best regards

You have to press maskrom when powering on till you see uboot from sdcard…i thought you were past this point…you have to erase emmc first 10M after booting into linux

I took this command from your wiki dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M count=10 is this erase emmmc first 10M or another proccess? Best Regards

Yes, make sure mmcblk1 is the emmc (to not erase sd)

ls /dev/mmcblk1*

Should show boot0 and some other

Hello If I erase emmc can use emmc again , can i use maskroom in shortcut wiring?

Of course you can rewrite emmc…and if it is bootable it is used first…booting from sd with maskrom-button again.

Imho this bootorder is not really good…better will be first try sd,then emmc. But this is a soc specific limitation and not fixable with software

Hello i will try it later . I made shortcut on maskroom button and it works now. I have another question about image . I do not understand booting from emmc. After i compile this repo i will get a u-boot.img .

Now i used this image and i want to run it on sd card and emmc. How i take u-boot from your u-boot reposotory and use for your debian 11 image? Best Regards

No, the order changes very easily :slight_smile: As an example, you can see how this is implemented in u-boot Armbian. By the way, there is a patch there that also includes booting from USB (for u-boot-2017 to rk35xx) and you get a very simple launch of any test system from USB.

Hello I see this folders when I opened sd card in disks Screenshot%20from%202022-10-06%2013-05-39 Screenshot%20from%202022-10-06%2013-07-09 ! In the partitions I have a uboot partition. I build this(https://github.com/frank-w/u-boot/tree/2022-04-bpi) repository . There are 3 images in my folder. I think i can upload a uboot image to this place which? I this possible ? If yes , i should use which one of u-boot images Screenshot%20from%202022-10-06%2013-07-37

Best Regards

Hello I tried to upload https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EtYc661zZ7t-e3PPiwdzkdWoHwQxH4KX/view?usp=sharing image via emmc i got

sudo upgrade_tool uf bpi-r2pro.img and sudo upgrade_tool ef bpi-r2pro.img

[sudo] password for banada

Not found config.ini

Program Data in /usr/local/bin

Loading firmware…

Loading firmware failed,err=-4!

?? my image does not contain such strange tools :slight_smile:

simply

dd if=bpi-r3.img of=/dev/mmcblkX

change X to your emmc-device, then change fstab to use this device as rootfs

i do not see any thing like mmcblk in /dev directory but i see in upgrade tools could you give me an advice best regards

? You have booted the board from sdcard and then you should see 2 mmcblk in /dev

Hello I have laptop and I use ubuntu on it. I want to upload your image from my laptop to board emmc via USB OTG cable. But when I plug the cable into my pc I do not see any mmcblk . But when I opened bpi pro which runs your image on an sd card I saw, mmcblk in dev. Is there any way to upload your image to bpi-r2-pro from a laptop

Best Regards

I don’t know how to flash emmc via usb.

My way is to boot board with sd and from this running system write image to emmc…

So many difficult steps because of a simple task :slight_smile: You can go a much simpler way. take the Armbian version from Debian (the startup procedure is very simple and described in the appropriate topic). Then there are different options. For example, the simplest. In the Armbian system running from the SD card. directly on the BPIr2pro device itself. Clone the GIT build system and assemble the kernel you need with a few simple commands (if you need changes to DTB, it’s very easy to add), at the output you will get a standard DEB package with your kernel and your changes, and you can install it into the system with standard Debian commands (apt\dpkg). You check how it works, if you are satisfied, then you can save the received DEB package and later use it to update the Armbian system installed on eMMC (installation on eMMC is also performed in very simple steps by the armbian-config utility from the system running from the SD card).

Hello i made changes in your image now, i want to upload it to mmcblk but image size is too big for sd card could you give me an advice for reduce .image size ? Best regards

Which sdcard do you use? My image is 6gb which fits into 8gb sd/emmc. did you write it to sdcard modified and then created it again from card and so have size of your sdcard? if you have not change partitions you can use truncate to cut image after 6GB (my image size)

Hello I tried to install my image file to/root directory in zip format. It was succesfull after I tired unzip it I got disk size eror . where should I extract myimge.img file for

dd if=bpi-r3.img of=/dev/mmcblkX

command Best regards

If your sdcard is larger than 8g you can add additional data partition to extract image for emmc,but i needed to make rootpartition smaller than 8g because emmc is only 8g :slight_smile:

Else you can unzip archive to stdout and write this output directly to emmc (do.not have exact command by hand).

It should be something like this:

unzip -c file.zip | dd of=/dev/mmcblkx

And you have to use the right image…your command says bpi-r3 and this is thread about r2pro