BPI-R2 FreeBSD support/ZRouter.org support

Will you be interested in Uploading you work somewhere on git ?

I am really interested in doing some experiment with R2 and FreeBSD as this will help in porting OpnSense.

Thanks

Nope, only locally yet. Wait a bit :slight_smile:

It will be in HEAD soon. Let me just done some important tasks. And welcome on BPI forum :slight_smile:

Thank You. I am on BPI COZ I see a good demand in security appliance for SME while they dont have a big budget, So I thought of doing some R&D to add some support to these development board where the manufacturers are doing so much to work on such lovely hardware designs while there seem to be less software side support, so maybe community support can help with the software-side.

Do you have any timeline to push it to the HEAD?

BTW Do you think BPI-R64 support can be added to your work ? or do they have a major hardware change?

Coz I plan to buy R64 for testing as it is on the cheaper side.

Also is there any resource on R64 & R2 u-boot and kernel load methods which I can go through to learn about the BPI approach as this is the first time I will work on MTK board.

Thanks.

Don’t know what is COZ and SME, but yes, looking on how linux support done I see lack of time to make it better.

Since FDT devices in .dts files of BPI-R2 a bit reordered (dependency come later), I want to rework FreeBSD FDT support to track dependency. Not sure how fast it would be, looking on that have to be accepted by many FreeBSD developers.

COZ = imho because

SME = any of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SME, imho Small and medium-sized enterprises ( SMEs )

1 Like

My Bad, COZ = Because :smiley: and SME = Small and Medium Enterprises.

Can we not have your built as a custom FreeBSD for BPI R2 until it is accepted and merged by the FreeBSD Developers?

afaik rays system does not support the bare minimum (mmc,poor performance of ethernet) so it is not a full working system…wait a bit till he get the basic things ready

for uboot and linux-kernel you can look in my repos on github.com/frank-w

r64 is also too new for public…new ethernet-chip is going to get a driver and it will take a while to get other parts like uboot, wifi,… working

1 Like

Right now I am just looking for development and not for a production level device. Well yes will be waiting ofcourse and also would be happy to help in development.

Thanks Frank :smiley:

As I understand, R64 very close to R2. But I don’t have R64 and looking on small memory don’t planning to buy one.

Ah I understand, Is there any discount for developer? :laughing: LOL. Then I will go for R2 also.

Cheers.

@frank-w since u-boot support allow to boot from SATA now, sd/mmc become not bare minimum. USB card reader works :smile:

It is mostly question to @sinovoip :slight_smile:

@ray and @spikerguy , for development i can send free sample to you .just hope you can join development and share your cool work on forum . :slight_smile:

please PM me address , i will apply and send BPI-R64 samples

1 Like

Anything free is always welcome :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but just to make it clear this is a hobby project for me after my actual working hours and I am also supporting few other boards on the linux distro side but now I want to work on Commercial Distro side and your R series fits the requirement. So yes if that would be helpful then you can go ahead.

Thanks.

1 Like

Any update on this? I would be interested in development of Manjaro Linux as there seem to be not much of arch and manjaro support on here.

Id also be interested in R2 as ray is working on R2 development.

Thanks

you are quick :))))))

Yes, if they’re send that its good for me, isnt it?

And do you have any repo where you keep your work for r2?

You are talking on linux so my repos/wiki will be helpful.

Linux-kernel:

Bootloader (uboot):

Wiki: https://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:start