Banana Pi BPI-W2 with Realtek RTD1296 chip design

Interesting information that new HW version is in progress!

Maybe would You like to consider SFP connector on board? There would be extra passive switch for SATA0/SGMII port like this:

and SFP connector, thats all! Eventually jumper for choosing SFP/SATA.

i see , but SFP module is too big for this board , if you want to use SFP ,you can use 20 PIN rgmii interface to connect

Hello

Thank you for announcing this interesting piece of hardware. Are you going to release an official case for the board as well? A BPI-R2-like with one or two 2.5-inch HDD slots would be really nice!

1 Like

I want to buy this, but no link in taobao or 1688

here ,have a taobao link:

What kind of support for GPU can be expected in terms of Linux OpenGL ES libs (fbdev/x11/wayland…)?

Wait…does it only support OpenWRT chaos calmer? That thing is ancient, will it support the newest OpenWRT release?

Banana Pi BPI-W2 source code public on github

1 Like

image download :

http://wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-W2#Image_Release

1 Like

_O2A0500

_O2A0488

_O2A0493

When it will be available in Lazada.com.ph?

Realtek RTD1296 Intelligent voice, video processing platform

BPI-W2 android 6 and android 7 source code:

I see this board is driven by a 12V@2A power supply! Does 12V get passed through to the SATA ports so this can drive 12V 3.5" drives?

not sure about 12V line in SATA, but you need to consider HDD power consumption.

I remember having hard time booting on standard 12V 2A power supply - 2x 2.5’’ HDD. Booting started normally, went through all inits. Spinup HDDs … reboot.

It boots just fine when used 12V 3.4A supply (or 2A supply + extra smartphone charger on usb-c).

from sheet I googled for reference just now:image

you might have same issue when trying single 3.5’’ HDD

by the way - this is my drive spec to complete this answer: image

I currently use a GnuBee PC2 with 6x IronWolf 2T drives powered from a 12V@10A brick. It has issues if I have all 6 plugged in at poweron, but runs fine with all 6 after the first 5 spin up. According to Seagate’s datasheet https://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/ironwolf/files/ironwolf-pro-ds1914-3-1701gb.pdf they pull 2A (24W) each on startup, but run less than 8W (<1A) after started.

I really just want a SBC that plugs directly into a 3.5" drive (12V) and ethernet, ideally with PoE so there’s only a single cable. A literal network attached storage. I’d be ecstatic if the SoC could handle ZFS for a large TB drive and still run some services, but I’d still be happy with an energy-efficient potato SoC. Sadly, it seems there is currently no such SBC on the market.

Yes, 12V is connected to the SATA socket through a MOS, which can directly drive a 3.5" hard disk

1 Like