Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 router board with MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880),4G RAM and 8G eMMC

I apologize for being unclear, I did not mean off the SFP pins, rather one of the UARTs from the 26 pin GPIO header on the SoC, I only see RX/TX CTS/RTS 3.3V/GND and I need DCD.

The few reviews that are more of press releases don’t shed much light in terms of CPU uptick. I would really like to see some SQM results, post which I’d buy this in a jiffy to enable to get rid of ISP supplied GPON optics.

Thank you for clearing all that up, I appreciate it!

Anyone tested the nat or wireguard performance? Or nvme over samba?

Hello everyone! Anyone have 3d model of motherboard of R4? I want to make 3d model of case. Or maybe someone have 3d model of case?

Im sorry for my ignorance but i cannot read schematics very well.

Are any of ports going to be “dedicated” (i.e. not sharing bandwidth with other ports)

Thanks in advance

Other than previous BPi router products the R4 doesn’t overbook Ethernet bandwidth: 4x 1GE via built-in switch, connected to SoC with 4 Gbit/s 2x 10G SFP+, each connected to the SoC via it’s own SerDes lane

In terms of USB, there is a on-board USB 3 hub, so USB bandwidth is shared.

2 Likes

When we get this wifi7 module or dedicated case?

When can I use the latest OpenWrt

I have some board in-hand. I’ve flashed the supplied openwrt to SD and set the dip switches ‘down’ (towards the board). Board boots to a red power and a blue ‘B’ light. However, it doesn’t respond on 192.168.1.1 and doesn’t pull DHCP on the wan port, anyone else able to get into the board?

Connect to serial uart debug port to what’s up?

Can this device boot off of nvme and use ext4?

See my answer here:

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I am just a simple user. I just want the BPI-R4 to be all I wanted the BPI-R3 isn’t. Though, have to say, I really like my BPI-R3… Thank you very much to all you people who make all of this work. I appreciate it.

1 Like

afaik the wifi 7 board will be available in jan/feb 2024, so i would not expect a case before march/april 2024

1 Like

You better have the USB TTL cable, but I found that the image released on the Wiki page doesn’t work for me as well (boot loop), so I followed a dev branch to compile a new one to check.

Have someone made working image openwrt with luci?

It may have been better to have a different form-factor for two lanes on the mini-pcie socket. Mini-pcie only supports 1 lane if I understand correctly. Perhapse M.2. would have been better. But I guess that is now too late to change.

If someone wants to use the 2 mini-pcie slots for something other than the wifi7 board, then only 1 lane can be used.

Or could BananaPi perhaps provide for a mini-pcie to M.2 adapter with 2 lanes?

Banana Pi BPI-R4 MediaTek MT7988A (Filogic 880) quad-core Arm Corex-A73 4GB DDR4 8GB eMMC flash Smart Router Board - AliExpress

:+1:

@sinovoip please provide adapter boards for M.2 Key-B (for additional 5G modems) as well as Key-M (for additional SSD). Having them as options would allow to use the R4 for 5G multiwan or NAS application, esp. now while the MT7996 Wi-Fi 7 module is not yet available.

1 Like

i received my banana pi r4 now and wondering about cooling. any recommendation? or what happens when i run it without any cooling? will it throttle before it gets damaged?

I ordered 2 of these: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32889675278.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.bf5563684aoxvd&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

That should match the holes in board. But have it currently running without and without case and temperature does not rise much

1 Like