Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 Module design

Yes, but this is no democracy and it is history (because they decided for BE14 first).

For me it looks like a good chance for a BE19 board … future will show

Thanks, In general, in this case, how important is it for wifi 7 for R4 to have an open driver? I mean, is there any advantage from an open driver in Linux over a proprietary one from Mediatek, besides the openness of the code itself?

Sorry if I’m bothering you with my amateurish questions, I saw in the list of R4 firmwares a version with RJ 2.5Gb, i.e. In this firmware, SFP is disabled and one of the RJ ports becomes 2.5Gb? Can it be installed on a standard R4 without any manual modifications? It’s strange that it is listed below the oldest firmware versions, is this version ever updated?

ok, I was just expecting a version of MT76 driver with MT7995AV(chipset of BE14) support. Usually such a case that it is a generic opensource driver and not unique to BPI BE14. Such like generic MT76, athX based mac80211 drivers. But looks like Mediatek is supplying(or co-developing for BE-14) the stack of MT7995AV for BPI-R4 custom OpenWrt repo - and this where the license issue kicks-in I guess.

The method @frank-w mentions (fork main project - add the driver of be14 from the BPI-R4 custom OpenWrt repo - If I didnt misunderstand) sounds scary to me. If this is legal, and if someone would like to guide/work, I can also spare time for this. regards

Proprietary driver allows more control on parameters and promises more performance. If you can get stable version which does everything you need, can be considered really a good option. And if you can get updates, it is best thing you can get. This is not something you get easily. However, opensource drivers provide generic functionality common across different vendors and usually provides updates, if it gets popularity in the community. So, when choosing a board, I personally prefer a one supported at upstream OpenWrt which have the daily snapshots, makes me feel quite comfortable.

Hi, 1-)Do we expect MLO and 320MHz bandwidth functionality with BPI-BE14? 2-)Can we learn max TX power per MCS? also RX Sensivity per MCS info also can help.

regards,

This is a question for another chat!:

May be this:

The second picture is what you looking for.

But the answer is no! → You have to desolder the SFP Cage and solder in a RJ-45 … but I have not done this. And additionally POE modul if you need it!

May be you find a better chat that still exist. For that use the search function:

grafik

Or open an new chat!

So if sinovoip won’t free up full drivers and firmware package for wlan module we will have similar situation to qualcomm nss offload firmware, then with openwrt policy this will be limited and afterall useless… Or i am wrong? Or we will have to use “openwrt” from sinovoip with non free firmware etc?

Hi Franck, on sinovip’s github repo the R4 Openwrt says that there is no wifi driver there, which project do you suggest we can fork ? I’m willing to try

I have no complete image with the mt76 patch and firmware. Anyone built afair openwrt with it,else you can use my debian image and replace kernel+modules by self-built 6.10-mt76 (6.10-main also contains both,but firmware is not automaticly included and needs to be copied manually)

I don’t quite understand the reason for the delay in the release of BE19. Is it related to the board design or a software flaw?

Afaik be19 had a thermal issue and needed a redesign which was delayed by be14 and openwrt one

But be14 has already been released, and they haven’t moved on to development of BE19?

I understand that the overheating problem was due to the BE19 design, so it turns out that they never moved on to reworking the design?

@simon can you give some information for be19?

1 Like

hello, I’m waiting for the BE 19 board, can you give an approximate date for this board?

It’s been awhile since I’ve checked up on the R4, I’ve been out of country. Sounds like you all have the BE14 working in debian on the R4 but not with mainline. I’ve been trying to follow the thread but it goes in every direction.

Wow! I’m also waiting for WiFi 7 to be released https://www.tp-link.com/ph/home-networking/deco/deco-be25/ … I’ve heard it offers speeds up to 30 Gbps? That would be amazing, which is actually perfect for my small family, who loves watching movies and streaming hahaha

1 Like

it makes sense to wait for BE19, could you clarify this information for us?

I think that people are simply not interested in this chat anymore because you don’t provide clear and precise answers