Banana pi BPI-R3 no CIFS module

After playing around a bit with the image, i find the network somewhat buggy in what relates to DNS. Is there any service missing or that should not be installed in your debian 11 image? I plan to use bpi as a network “slave” so to speak and not a router/gateway/switch.

Also, sometimes network configs using netplan seem to not be applied correctly. What is the method that you would use on this image to configure network interfaces?

EDIT: Can this problem be related to any virtual interfaces left on device. On boot log, i see this: image

Also another question… what is this interface lanbr0?

EDIT: I get the impression that DHCP client may not be working properly on wired interfaces. Wifi interfaces seem to be OK.

I also tested old way (using /etc/network/interfaces) and wired ifaces still seem to have trouble acquiring IP addresses

If you use another config like netplan make sure you remove my network config in /etc/systemd/network

I create a lanbr0 (bridging all lan-ports into 1 interface to have 1 ip for it) with fixed ip-addr which is the opposite of dhcp :slight_smile: same for wan-port

Ah makes sense. Actually already seen those files but were unsure if they were needed…

So, without such files, i should have a “default” debian 11 installation? Is there any dhcp client installed in your base image? I assume there is because wifi interfaces got IP without specifying

Right, wlan0 and 1 also get fixed ip and dhcp-server from these files…also additional interfaces like vlans are created by those. Make sure you use debug-uart before disabling my network config

dhclient should be installed by default. I have not modified much only created a basic configuration like network,hostname rootpw and installed some basic packages like hostapd and network diagnostic tools

Systemd-networkd is default network-manager in debian, ifupdown (which uses /etc/network/interfaces) is deprecated and not installed by default. Netplan is ubuntu specific but also available in debian (imho not installed by default)

You can basicly disable systemd-networkd and keep the files and activating your netplan,but make sure you are not working over network-connection :wink:

My files contain example how to use dhcp on wan if needed,but remember your main-router needs to know your lan-subnet behind r3 (when not doing masquerading on wan) which needs to be different to its lan and routing needs to be activated.

IMma bit confused right now. I thought that netplan was just an interface for networkd or NetworkManager (on ubuntu).

So if i disable systemd-networkd things should not work. Anyway, after deleting those files, looks like it got better. My only problem now seem to be DNS resolving

Possible that netplan uses systemd and is only a frontend,have not used it much.

If you use dhcp,dns-server has to be set there too. Before i set dns over the systemd files. You try directly on r3 right?

So everything got better when i installed NetworkManager and set it as netplan renderer. Im not sure now but i think i also purged systemd-resolved.

Maybe systemd-resolved was not enabled? So settings from dhcp were not propagated in system