Assembled R4 case share

I received the R4 case, and I asked BPI provided the extension serial connector cable in my order. So I assembled it like the follows, hope can help someone

2 Likes

I didnā€™t see this cable included in BPIā€™s YouTube tutorial for assembling the case.

This is a brilliant touch from BPI.

1 Like

sorry Kvic, I may made the misunderstand. I ordered the extension serial connector cable with R4 case together, it was not the standard accessories of the R4 case.

2 Likes

Can you provide a link to it?

1 Like

no link, I asked them drectly when I place the order

1 Like

Ahhh. Ok thanks. Iā€™ll make sure to ask on my next order. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess it is this one (5 pieces):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003022362301.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.689a38daWA9UPL&mp=1

And then from R3 to FT232RL (5 pieces):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003655283848.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.42fc38daKxY4A3&mp=1

Both from the same store, using the same colors.

4 Likes

Can you give the dimensions of the hole for the connector? Would be interesting for other casesā€¦

Isnā€™r the hole in the R3 case the same?

possibly, did not thought about it (simply thread my debug cable through it)ā€¦this is 5x10

Same here, just some wires through. This definitely look like amore proper way to do it, so I ordered the cables and see if it fitsā€¦

Already bought some :slight_smile: thx for the linkā€¦then i can checkā€¦just need measures for my other diy caseā€¦

Thinking of this serial console today and come up with another idea.

USB module like this :point_down: is cheap enough. We can embed one inside the official R4 case and make use of the same opening for the USB type B socket:

The advantage isā€¦ like other professional networking gears, there will be a console in R4. :smile:

Any ideas how to ā€˜glueā€™ such a module to the R4 case and will be strong enough to sustain many insertion/removal cycles for the foreseeable future?

My plan is to move only the dupont connectors to outside or like bpi did use a jst connector

All other is imho not stable enough for multiple pluggings

I used the same connectors as above on R4 acryl case. Can use some hot glue to fix it to case.

On R3 ir turned out had to cut away a bit plastic of connector to fit. Also used hot glue to fix it.

Iā€™m fine with that or other temp solutions during ā€˜development phaseā€™ of R4. In the longer run, in my case, I intend to use R4 as an end product. So I was thinking something nicer and commonly available in end products.

Iā€™m also thinking of 3D printing an adaptor that will ā€˜lockā€™ in official R4 caseā€™s opening for accessing the serial console. But this idea is a distant & fantasy project for meā€¦I probably wonā€™t attempt in foreseeable future. :smile:

Donā€™t want to fight an unnecessary warā€¦so I simply followed the easiest path and added an extension cord too. I ordered 10cm but got sent 18cmā€¦ :smiley:

This will be the ā€œserial consoleā€ for this BPI R4 in its lifespan for the coming 10 years. lol

My serial console cable. :smiley:

Literally stitch up with soldering iron. The USB mini B cable is at least 15 years old. Look at the thickness. Old cables were so well made.

The overall cable assembly is still fragile. May survive a couple of years use. Next time I will buy one than DIY for sure. Not worth the time.