[BPI-R64] uboot

Hi,

i have made some modifications to r64 uboot and want to separate uboot from kernel (in my uboot-repo).

https://github.com/frank-w/BPI-R64-bsp-4.19/commits/master

https://github.com/frank-w/u-boot/tree/bpi-r64/

currently i hang on

$ make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- UBOOT_CONFIG=mt7622_evb_config
Makefile:525: *** "System not configured - see README".

i tried to run env.sh before, but no luck

error-message points me to this line in makefile:

any idea whats needed to be done before calling make?

mhm, seems my command-line is wrong…

$ make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- mt7622_evb_config
Configuring for mt7622_evb board...
$ make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-

seems to run, but gpio.h is not found

In file included from common/cmd_gpio.c:12:0:
./arch/arm/include/asm/gpio.h:1:27: fatal error: asm/arch/gpio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <asm/arch/gpio.h>

also in original repo i don’t see this file…

$ find -name 'gpio.h' | grep 'asm/arch'

lists only some board-specific files where “arch” is part of folder-name (e.g. arch/arm/include/asm/arch-rmobile/gpio.h).

seems that there was anything broken, after make mrproper it compiles…

anybody here having an r64 with mt7531?

have now cleaned my r64-branch a bit and it compiles also with mt7531-driver

just make a clone and then

./build.sh config #change switch to mt7531
./build.sh
./build.sh install

currently i try to figure out how to use SD as flash type…emmc compiles fine while SD is broken

/media/data_fast/bpi/uboot/u-boot/include/configs/mt7622_evb.h:412:45: error: 'NFI_BASE' undeclared here (not in a function)
 #define CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE                NFI_BASE

it looks like there is a missing condition…or include order is wrong (board before nand)

imho nand != sd-card or is nand-driver needed for sdcard? tried to add include which defines NFI_base (e.g. asm/arch-mt7622/mt6735.h) but this leads to other errors…any idea about that? @jackzeng @sinovoip @moore

1 Like

There is no need to enable nand driver if we want to boot from emmc or SD.

you can download native uboot code and type “make menuconfig” in home directory. choose boot from sd to see what compile options need to be enabled. thanks.

choice 'Flash Type' "NAND ON_BOARD_NAND_FLASH_COMPONENT \
                 SNAND ON_BOARD_SPI_NAND_FLASH_COMPONENT \
                 SNOR ON_BOARD_SPI_NOR_FLASH_COMPONENT \
                 eMMC ON_BOARD_EMMC_COMPONENT \
                 SD OFF_BOARD_SD_CARD_COMPONENT \
				 NONE ON_BOARD_NO_FLASH_COMPONENT
	    " SNAND
1 Like

The problematic line is from original code

Have you tested sd-option here?

I am not familiar with build.sh build flow. I guess uboot source in bpi github has something different from original one (at least config.in in home directory) . I don’t see such problem if use original uboot source with buildroot-gcc492 toolchain (type make menuconfig; make to build uboot image) and uboot partition in below image was also built by this way.

1. SD card image : as a helper to write demo image files to eMMChttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ap7lt-pjpG-pAOAEqpH13-SMOSkRkZI0

Most users don’t have buildroot-toolchain. Can you please try with ubuntu’s linaro toolchain (gcc6 arm-linux-gnueabihf)?

i have removed buildroot-toolchain from makefile and only call make with linaro-toolchain in my build.sh (also menuconfig) so it’s easier to read.

i tried official repo with 4.4 and 4.19, changed flash-type to SD with make menuconfig before and compiled with build.sh and “make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-”

all ended up with same error

/media/data_fast/bpi/kernel/BPI-R64-BSP-4.19_official/u-boot-mt/include/configs/mt7622_evb.h:412:45: error: ‘NFI_BASE’ undeclared here (not in a function)
 #define CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE                NFI_BASE
                                         ^
drivers/mtd/nand/nand.c:29:37: note: in expansion of macro ‘CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE’
 #define CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE_LIST { CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE }
                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/mtd/nand/nand.c:52:57: note: in expansion of macro ‘CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE_LIST’
 static ulong base_address[CONFIG_SYS_MAX_NAND_DEVICE] = CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE_LIST;
                                                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

which Value should CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE/NFI_BASE have for SD-card? i have found 2 diferent definitions for mt7622

./u-boot-mt/arch/arm/include/asm/arch-mt7622/mt6735.h:43:#define IO_PHYS             (0x10000000)
./u-boot-mt/arch/arm/include/asm/arch-mt7622/mt6735.h:94:#define NFI_BASE            (IO_PHYS + 0x0100D000) //MT6735 no NFI
./u-boot-mt/arch/arm/include/asm/arch-mt7622/nand/mtk_nand.h:16:#define NFI_BASE0x1100D000

same again soc-independ:

./u-boot-mt/arch/arm/include/asm/arch/mt6735.h:43:#define IO_PHYS             (0x10000000)
./u-boot-mt/arch/arm/include/asm/arch/mt6735.h:94:#define NFI_BASE            (IO_PHYS + 0x0100D000) //MT6735 no NFI
./u-boot-mt/arch/arm/include/asm/arch/nand/mtk_nand.h:16:#define NFI_BASE	0x1100D000

i wonder why different toolchain does not show this error…maybe nand-include is missing for SD? these includes are not used or after the mt7622.h

as far as i see the only include of mt7622_evb.h is in ./arch/arm/lib/bootm.c and here is no include to the nand (i guess it’s later in storage-commands)…isn’t it better to define IO_PHYS / NFI_BASE in board-header (to use it there) or some “global” header-file instead of the NAND-driver?

i wonder why it happens because the call to this value comes from the universal-nand-driver…shouldn’t it not include the nand-headers first? havn’t found out the order yet

if i add the 2 defines to the board-header, i don’t get the expected duplicate definition…instead i got an undefined reference for board_nand_init in drivers/mtd/nand/nand.c:180

this function is defined in

./drivers/misc/mediatek/nand/mt7622/mtk_nand.c:3945:int board_nand_init(struct nand_chip *nand_chip)
./drivers/misc/mediatek/nand/mt7622/mtk_snand_k.c:3954:int board_nand_init(struct nand_chip *nand_chip)

both are included if CONFIG_MTK_MTD_NAND is set…this is only set if ON_BOARD_*NAND_FLASH_COMPONENT is selected…not if flashtype set to SD (OFF_BOARD_SD_CARD_COMPONENT)

so i wonder why drivers/mtd/nand/nand.c is used

i’ve seen that for flashtype=SD nand and mtd are activated including the CMD_*-options. disabled them and now i’m able to compile…strange that you can build without this change

Below is what I did based on original tarball with linaro toolchain for your reference.

1.apt-get install gcc-6-arm-linux-gnueabihf

2.cd /usr/bin; ln -sf arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-6 arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc

1. copy compiler-gcc6.h include/linux directory. https://gitlab.com/SaberMod/android-kernel-lge-hammerhead/blob/4a98feebe2cb735eef2299bc5512b9c83cc789ce/include/linux/compiler-gcc6.h

2. vi Makefile

CROSS_COMPILE = arm-linux-gnueabihf-

3. vi include/linux/compiler-gcc.h

#if !defined(CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_OPTIMIZED_INLINING) ||
!defined(CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING) || (GNUC < 4)

#define inline         inline          __attribute__((always_inline)) __attribute__((__gnu_inline__))
#define __inline__     __inline__      __attribute__((always_inline)) __attribute__((__gnu_inline__))
#define __inline       __inline        __attribute__((always_inline)) __attribute__((__gnu_inline__))
#endif
  1. make menuconfig

(MT7622) Chip ID
(ASIC) Chip Type
(SD) Flash Type

(GMAC1) Use GE1 or GE2
(GE_SGMII_FORCE_2500) GE1 connected to

(MT7531) Switch connected to

1. make //build successfully.

OBJCOPY examples/standalone/hello_world.srec OBJCOPY examples/standalone/hello_world.bin LDS u-boot.lds LD u-boot OBJCOPY u-boot.srec OBJCOPY u-boot.bin UIMAGE u-boot-mtk.bin

which repo do you build exactly? i expect that you are not using (untouched) this:

because at least the option for switch in menuconfig is missing (have added it in my repo).

it uses always rtl8367s for ethernet:

also i don’t need to add compiler-gcc6.h because it is already there

btw. do you know anything about mt7622 upstream-support?

BPI do have original/up-to-date uboot source code, but they missed some changes in above github. I guess they just extracted related patch/files from up-to-date uboot to current uboot codebase. I’ll suggest they can put original code to github as reference, thanks.

ok,as i expected you use another repo…is this public? This github-repo (v2014-04) was my only source. Or are you talking about upstream-code (actual uboot v2019-xx)?

btw. my uboot does not boot ;( compiled with gcc6 and 5.5, maybe same problem as with older r2-uboot…which does also not boot with gcc5.5+

[EMI]rank0 size: 0x40000000                                                                                           
[MEM] complex R/W mem test pass                                                                                       
RAM_CONSOLE wdt status (0x0)=0x0                                                                                      
[mmc_init]: msdc1 start mmc_init_host() in PL...                                                                      
[msdc_init]: msdc1 Host controller intialization start                                                                
[SD1] Pins mode(1), none(0), down(1), up(2), keep(3)                                                                  
[SD1] Pins mode(2), none(0), down(1), up(2), keep(3)                                                                  
[info][msdc_config_clksrc] input clock is 200000kHz                                                                   
[SD1] Bus Width: 1                                                                                                    
[SD1] SET_CLK(260kHz): SCLK(259kHz) MODE(0) DDR(0) DIV(193) DS(0) RS(0)                                               
[msdc_init]: msdc1 Host controller intialization done                                                                 
[mmc_init]: msdc1 start mmc_init_card() in PL...                                                                      
[mmc_init_card]: start                                                                                                
[SD1] Bus Width: 4                                                                                                    
[SD1] Size: 30436 MB, Max.Speed: 25000 kHz, blklen(512), nblks(62333952), ro(0)                                       
[mmc_init_mem_card 3140][SD1] Initialized, SD10                                                                       
before host->cur_bus_clk(259067)                                                                                      
[SD1] SET_CLK(25000kHz): SCLK(25000kHz) MODE(0) DDR(0) DIV(2) DS(0) RS(0)                                             
host->cur_bus_clk(25000000)                                                                                           
[mmc_init_card]: finish successfully                                                                                  
[PLFM] Init Boot Device: OK(0)                                                                                        
[GPT_PL](BPI)Parsing Primary GPT now...                                                                               
[GPT_PL]check header, err(signature 0x00000054594C5242!=0x5452415020494645)                                           
[GPT_PL]Success to find valid GPT.                                                                                    

[PART] blksz: 512B                                                                                                    
[PART] [0x0000000000020000-0x000000000007FFFF] "preloader" (768 blocks)                                               
[PART] [0x0000000000080000-0x00000000000BFFFF] "tee1" (512 blocks)                                                    
[PART] [0x00000000000C0000-0x000000000013FFFF] "lk" (1024 blocks)                                                     

Device APC domain init setup:                                                                                         

Domain Setup (0x0)                                                                                                    
Domain Setup (0x0)                                                                                                    
Device APC domain after setup:                                                                                        
Domain Setup (0x0)                                                                                                    
Domain Setup (0x0)                                                                                                    
[get_part] part->nr_sects=768, part->info->name=preloader                                                             
[get_part] part->nr_sects=512, part->info->name=tee1                                                                  
[get_part] part->nr_sects=1024, part->info->name=lk                                                                   
[PART] Image with part header                                                                                         
[PART] name : LK                                                                                                      
[PART] addr : FFFFFFFFh mode : -1                                                                                     
[PART] size : 299016                                                                                                  
[PART] magic: 58881688h                                                                                               

[PART] load "lk" from 0x00000000000C0200 (dev) to 0x41E00000 (mem) [SUCCESS]                                          
[PART] load speed: 3475KB/s, 299016 bytes, 84ms                                                                       
load lk (ret=0)                                                                                                       
[PART] Image with part header                                                                                         
[PART] name : atf                                                                                                     
[PART] addr : FFFFFFFFh mode : -1                                                                                     
[PART] size : 62032                                                                                                   
[PART] magic: 58881688h                                                                                               

[PART] load "tee1" from 0x0000000000080200 (dev) to 0x43000DC0 (mem) [SUCCESS]                                        
[PART] load speed: 2752KB/s, 62032 bytes, 22ms                                                                        
load tee1 (ret=0)                                                                                                     
[BLDR] bldr load tee part ret=0x0, addr=0x43001000                                                                    
[BLDR] boot part. not found                                                                                           
[BLDR] part_load_images ret=0x0                                                                                       
[BLDR] Others, jump to ATF                                                                                            

[BLDR] jump to 0x41E00000                                                                                             
[BLDR] <0x41E00000>=0xEA00000F                                                                                        
[BLDR] <0x41E00004>=0xE59FF014                                                                                        

DRAM:  112 MiB

Is your inlining-patch for this issue? edit: tried it, but same result (gcc6.5 with inline-patch)

have now compiled with gcc 4.8 (ubuntu 14.4) and here it boots, only strange message:

DRAM:  112 MiB                                                                                                        
WARNING: Caches not enabled                                                                                           
dev_num = 1                                                                                                           
***size=4096, offset=1310720, blk_start=2560, blk_cnt=8                                                               
*** Error - default environment is too large                                                                          

In:    serial                                                                                                         
Out:   serial                                                                                                         
Err:   serial                                                                                                         
dev_num = 1                                                                                                           
***size=4096, offset=1310720, blk_start=2560, blk_cnt=8                                                               
*** Error - default environment is too large                                                                          

Net:   mtk_eth                                                                                                        
Uip activated                                                                                                         
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0                                                                                      
Unknown command 'No' - try 'help'                                                                                     
BPI-R64>                                                                                                              
BPI-R64>                                                                                                              
BPI-R64> printenv                                                                                                     

Environment size: 1/4092 bytes                                                                                        
BPI-R64>

ok, fixed by setting CONFIG_ENV_SIZE to 8K

network works with rtl8367-switch, load from my menu currently not (because service is set to linux-4.19 instead of linux), ls works on the partition 1:1 (=sd)

fixed versions uploaded here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vg3eoHpx3nlZ9pTCZdDpC2l1pJ4rQh5i

Thread for emmc-boot:

btw. does anybody know memory-location of uboot? i want to add tftp-option for loading uboot, but did not find uboots memory-position (before relocation)

[PART] load "tee1" from 0x0000000000080200 (dev) to 0x43000DC0 (mem) [SUCCESS]  
[PART] load speed: 2752KB/s, 62032 bytes, 22ms                                  
load tee1 (ret=0)                                                               
[BLDR] bldr load tee part ret=0x0, addr=0x43001000                              
[BLDR] boot part. not found                                                     
[BLDR] part_load_images ret=0x0                                                 
[BLDR] Others, jump to ATF                                                      

[BLDR] jump to 0x41E00000                                                       
[BLDR] <0x41E00000>=0xEA00000F                                                  
[BLDR] <0x41E00004>=0xE59FF014                                                  

U-Boot 2014.04-rc1-00018-g7a9081b-dirty (Sep 21 2019 - 20:15:23) 

maybe 0x41E00004 is uboot’s address, but on r2 this is printed more cleanly

just a small update on gcc-issue (does not boot if compiled with linaro gcc 5.5+)

if i enable debug in mt7622_evb.h i see this:

U-Boot code: FFFFFFFF -> FFFFFFFF  BSS: -> FFFFFFFF
monitor len: 00000000
ramsize: 3F000000
TLB table from 7eff0000 to 7eff4000
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 7eff0000
Reserving 0k for U-Boot at: 7eff0000  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 0k is a little bit, right? :)
Reserving 32772k for malloc() at: 7cfef000
Reserving 32 Bytes for Board Info at: 7cfeefe0
Reserving 160 Bytes for Global Data at: 7cfeef40
New Stack Pointer is: 7cfeef30
RAM Configuration:
Bank #0: 40000000 1008 MiB
relocation Offset is: 7eff0001  <<<<<<<<<<<<<< not aligned, last 1 is strange

basicly it hangs after the dram-information, not showing uboot-version (like it does if compiled with gcc4.8)

Answer is the first line:

U-Boot code: FFFFFFFF -> FFFFFFFF BSS: -> FFFFFFFF

it have to be from define CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE

and two vars filled by linker: bss_start, bss_end.

All three eq -1 (0xffffffff - unsigned).

that may explain where it get “1” for relocation offset.

It looks like a linker-problem or wromg configuration.

This function is called but with empty version_string and wrong adresses…

Anyone have an idea how to fix it?

i see, that bpi-version of uboot changes this relocation-code…

https://github.com/frank-w/u-boot/commit/97bf4e854831c04549b6cebaf19ca57fbec3db5f#diff-cbf29bee16995d1835259dd185e77dc5

why was this done? i guess this breaks newer linaro gcc toolchains

with the great help of @ray we have fixed the gcc5.5±issue (compile but not boot) by removing object-copy filtering:

so uboot is now compilable with ubuntu 18.4 (gcc6.5) and boots up correctly

for gcc7+ we need to fix some compile-errors

common/main.c:31:6: error: 'show_boot_progress' aliased to external symbol '__show_boot_progress'
 void show_boot_progress (int val) __attribute__((weak, alias("__show_boot_progress")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[1]: *** [common/main.o] Error 1
make: *** [common] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
arch/arm/lib/board.c:73:6: error: 'coloured_LED_init' aliased to external symbol '__coloured_LED_init'
 void coloured_LED_init(void)
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
arch/arm/lib/board.c:90:6: error: 'blue_led_off' aliased to external symbol '__blue_led_off'
 void blue_led_off(void) __attribute__((weak, alias("__blue_led_off")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~
arch/arm/lib/board.c:88:6: error: 'blue_led_on' aliased to external symbol '__blue_led_on'
 void blue_led_on(void) __attribute__((weak, alias("__blue_led_on")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~~
arch/arm/lib/board.c:86:6: error: 'yellow_led_off' aliased to external symbol '__yellow_led_off'
 void yellow_led_off(void) __attribute__((weak, alias("__yellow_led_off")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
arch/arm/lib/board.c:84:6: error: 'yellow_led_on' aliased to external symbol '__yellow_led_on'
 void yellow_led_on(void) __attribute__((weak, alias("__yellow_led_on")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
arch/arm/lib/board.c:82:6: error: 'green_led_off' aliased to external symbol '__green_led_off'
 void green_led_off(void) __attribute__((weak, alias("__green_led_off")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
arch/arm/lib/board.c:80:6: error: 'green_led_on' aliased to external symbol '__green_led_on'
 void green_led_on(void) __attribute__((weak, alias("__green_led_on")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~
arch/arm/lib/board.c:78:6: error: 'red_led_off' aliased to external symbol '__red_led_off'
 void red_led_off(void) __attribute__((weak, alias("__red_led_off")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~~
arch/arm/lib/board.c:76:6: error: 'red_led_on' aliased to external symbol '__red_led_on'
 void red_led_on(void) __attribute__((weak, alias("__red_led_on")));
      ^~~~~~~~~~

i tried to fix them like here by disabling the weak-option (not the best way,right? maybe weak is needed to overwrite these functions…)

but now i get these:

LD      lib/built-in.o
lib/time.o: In function `__raw_writesb':
/media/data_fast/bpi/uboot/u-boot/arch/arm/include/asm/io.h:80: multiple definition of `__raw_writesb'
lib/display_options.o:/media/data_fast/bpi/uboot/u-boot/arch/arm/include/asm/io.h:80: first defined here
lib/time.o: In function `__raw_writesw':
/media/data_fast/bpi/uboot/u-boot/arch/arm/include/asm/io.h:88: multiple definition of `__raw_writesw'
1 Like

hmmm, “extern inline” looks weird.

Change then to “static inline”. Hope it will not grow uboot twice :slight_smile:

any idea about the other errors? Without fixing them i get no uboot-binary with gcc 7 for size comparation

copy

show_boot_progress from board/ti/beagle/beagle.c

LED funcs from board/taskit/stamp9g20/led.c

and make them empty.

All that to mt7622_evb.c

1 Like

I mean errors of

__raw_writesb

static inline for that one

1 Like