[BPI-R2 new image] debian 10 buster image with Kernel 4.19.62

not all systems have boot-partition mounted in /boot, so i have separated this in tar.gz-file, there are only 2 commands to unpack the tar.gz-file. tar.gz-file is designed to be installed in running system, but outside where root/boot are mounted anywhere. deb is designed to be installed in running system, so it points to / and /boot instead of BPI-BOOT/BPI-ROOT

sudo tar -xzf ${kernelpack} -C / --strip-components=1 BPI-ROOT
sudo tar -xzf ${kernelpack} -C /boot/ --strip-components=1 BPI-BOOT

just fork my repo and do changes you think and i take a look over itā€¦

btw. this discussion is more kernel-related and should be placed in a new threadā€¦

What is the source for this preloader? Have you got any URLs for it or something? I want to test it in case it wasnā€™t covered in this thread.

Hello,

I think here you can find the sources for this preloader from BPI: https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-files/tree/master/SD/100MB.

There are 2 files there: BPI-R2-preloader-DDR1600-20190722-2k.img.gz and BPI-R2-EMMC-boot0-DDR1600-20190722-0k.img.gz which were commited to the repository 21 days ago.

These are the newest binariesā€¦source is not available (nda)

@LeXa2 these 2 preloaders (one for sd,one for emmc) load full uboot, older preloaders did load only a part and with pci/ahci uboot-binary is larger than this loaded size and boot fails

Ah, it might be the reason u-boot was failing for me when built with ext4 and fat write support. Will give these a try.

One more question - how to make Hardware-NAT for your kernel?

hwnat is only ported to 4.14 and because of instabilities and changed framework (there exists a HW-offloading-framework in newer kernels) not ported to higher kernels. maybe @moore and @Ryder.Lee knew more. but please start a new thread for questions regarding kernel and not related to this image

Ok sorry and thanks for hep!

I have downloaded the Debian Buster 4.19 kernel build referenced on this link: http://wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-R2 I have the ethernet ports all working but the issue comes when trying to setup wireless and make it a Access Point. I can see wlan0 and the IP i have assigned to it BUT whenever i lose power or reboot i have to reconfigure it all over again. Also I cannot see the SSID when searching from other wireless devices. Frank has been very helpful in assisting me but was wondering if anyone has a blow by blow on what exactly to do in order to get the wireless up and running and making it an access Point? I would be very grateful!

-Brian-

This page links to my buster-imageā€¦

try to unpack this in rootfs: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/1WLWAR1FC-rF4n2SgFecBlU1ym_XKqAR_/15Y5Y3NAOwg_IMmN3k6hdb7pAQj9oTVTl/15lHk7IEyVyQdYzVfvPvV-3jMhz7GSL7p?usp=drive_open&sort=13&direction=a

And then run wifi.sh

Frank that link takes me to your Google Drive but i dont see your buster image. I only see 5 Items in there they are as follows: r2_wifi_firmware.zip , r2_wifi_helper.zip, wifi_helper.tar.gz, wmt-tools+script.tar.gz, wmt-tools+script+conf.zip Thats is all I see nothing labeled buster -Brian-

Just unpack wmt-tools+script+conf.zip over the buster-rootfs (after burning the buster-image you allready have)

Frankā€¦ THANK YOU that got the access point running. Istill isnt persistant however i have to run that script each time the BPI-R2 loses power or reboots however. Now to try to bridge the ap0 and lan0@eth0 so I can share the Internet coming in on lan0@eth0.

-Brian-

just put the script in rc.local after creating/install it

steps should be same as in debian 9: https://www.itechlounge.net/2017/10/linux-how-to-add-rc-local-in-debian-9/

do not bridge ap0 with any other network-deviceā€¦make separate subnets and do routing between

https://wiki.fw-web.de/doku.php?id=en/bpi-r2/network/start#routing

Thanks again Frank going to tackle the bridge thing in an hour or soā€¦appreciate your assistance couldnā€™t have done it without you!

Thought I had a handle on how to get this BPI-R2 routing set up its kicking my ass. I am not giving up on thisā€¦

Your mainrouter have to know that your wifi-subnet is reachable via r2s lan ipā€¦so you need static route on itā€¦else packets go out,but response goes to your mainrouter and not further (or gets routed via defaultroute = back to internet)

Here is my current setup DSL Router NAT IP Schema (172.16.42.0/24 )

BPI-R2 Schema lan0@eth0 172.16.42.118 BPI-R2 AP Schema ap0 192.168.10.1/24

I have created a static route on the DSL Router as follows Destination IP Address = 192.168.10.1 (BPI-R2 ap0) IP Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 Gateway Address = 172.16.42.118 (lan0@eth0 on BPI-R2) Metric = 2

On the BPI-R2 for routes I have: 172.16.42.0/24 dev lan0 proto kernel scope link src 172.16.42.118 192.168.10.0/24 dev ap0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.10.1

While from the BPI-R2 I can ping my DSl Router (172.16.42.2) I cannot ping in the other direction.

Obviously my perspective on settings is flawed can you assist?

-Brian-

static route has to be defined as this:

192.168.10.0 (network-address not ip-address) is reachable via 172.16.42.118

Ping between these 2 hosts should not be affected only traffic going over both ones. Donā€™t forget to set default route on wifi-client (192.168.10.1) and r2 (172.16.42.2)

OK got default route set on BPI-R2 as follows:

root@bpi-r2:~# ip route show default via 172.16.42.2 dev lan0 onlink 172.16.42.0/24 dev lan0 proto kernel scope link src 172.16.42.118 192.168.10.0/24 dev ap0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.10.1

Now while I can ping everything from both directions ( 172.16.42.xx and 192.168.10.xx ) when my Phone Connects to BPI-R2 ap0 it says ā€œno internetā€ and sure enough when trying to access gmail or facebook etcā€¦ It doesnt refresh like it has no Internet. While connected with my phone and Data connection is turned off I cannot ping 8.8.8.8 or www.google.com. However when I ssh into the BPI-R2 on the 192.168.10.1 ap0 I can ping 8.8.8.8 and www.google.com

-Brian