[BPI-R2 new image] debian 10 buster image with Kernel 4.19.62

Is there someway to upgrade from debian 9 to 10? I don’t want to reinstall all the packages

Here is my kernel info:

uname -a
Linux BPI-R2 4.14.122-bpi-r2-main #1 SMP Thu Jun 6 17:46:54 CST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

btw, i have an issue. If i add mac-address in bpi-r2-mac.dts, I can get well performant. But with random macaddress and change 802-3-ethernet.cloned-mac-address in NetworkManager. I could not get more then 10Mpbs

Imho you can upgrade the normal debian way by changing the apt-sources,but this makes not a clean system and maybe break your ols one…so i prefer a fresh system and have old as backup.

You use dto in uboot? Else mac.dtb isn’t loaded…which kernels have you tried (maybe 4.19,5.x-phylink)?

You can ssh from your phone to r2 and dns/ping works from there (r2).

Can you ping your mainrouter from your mobile device? if not: Can you ping lan0-address of r2?

If also not: Have you enabled v4-routing on r2 (needs to be done every boot if only used the echo)? Make it permanant with sysctl.conf have you set default route for wifi-devices set to r2’s ap0-address?

Because The R2 is my NAS and home media center and network base server. Too many package are installed. Maybe i will not upgrade it, but performace is necessary for me.

Thanks frank-w :grinning:

you can install on new sd-card and switch back to old system multiple times when needing the NAS and install it step-by-step…

you can also do a full backup first (dd not from running system) and try to upgrade with changed apt-sources

or maybe use emmc to switch between…if your current system is on sd, you can install buster on emmc

You can ssh from your phone to r2 and dns/ping works from there (r2). When SSH’d into the ap0 yes I can ping my main DSL router

Can you ping your mainrouter from your mobile device? if not: Can you ping lan0-address of r2? YES when my mobile device is connected to ap0 and data is turned off I can ping my main DSL Router

If also not: Have you enabled v4-routing on r2 (needs to be done every boot if only used the echo)? Make it permanant with sysctl.conf have you set default route for wifi-devices set to r2’s ap0-address? [/quote] I haven done this I will try it now one I google the command architecture

Turns out IPv4 Forwarding is enabled in /etc/sysctl.conf the following line is uncommented there net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

When you ask have you set default route for wifi-devices set to r2’s ap0- I havent done anything with each wifi device I thought they wouldnt need special treatment when just accessing another Access Point am I wrong?

default-route is normally pushed by dhcp if using it (default for wifi)

If using android you can use ip route command in any terminal-app

Hmm im rebooting my BPI-R2 and hoping every it gets pushed, if not I wont be able to use the BPI-R2 as my household router as having new devices that connect (Friends coming over) they will have to mess with there phone. :frowning:

Still no worky… DAMN

You have to setup dhcp-server for ap0 subnet. So that devices connecting to ap0 get ip-address, default gateway and dns-server

See server-section on https://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en/bpi-r2/network/start#dhcp

what do you think is “pushed”? if you only write to /proc or /sys it is only temporary…you need to add it to the right configfile…

In referencing the “it gets pushed” I was referencing the applicable info to the wireless clients (IP address etc)

My /etc/dnsmasq.d/interfaces.conf looks as follows: #interface=eth0 interface=lan0 interface=wlan1 #interface=tun0 interface=lxcbr0 #interface=eth1 interface=ap0

DHCP-Server not active for Interface

#no-dhcp-interface=ppp0 no-dhcp-interface=eth0 no-dhcp-interface=eth1 #no-dhcp-interface=lxcbr0

#dhcp-authoritative dhcp-range=lan0,192.168.0.100,192.168.0.150,255.255.255.0,48h dhcp-option=lan0,3,192.168.0.10

dhcp-range=ap0,192.168.10.100,192.168.10.150,255.255.255.0,48h dhcp-option=ap0,3,192.168.10.1

dhcp-range=wlan1,192.168.11.100,192.168.11.150,255.255.255.0,48h dhcp-option=wlan1,3,192.168.11.1

dhcp-range=lxcbr0,10.0.3.100,10.0.3.150,255.255.255.0,48h dhcp-option=lxcbr0,3,10.0.3.1

I also verified my resolv.conf and it has the value of the DSL Router in it which is how I set it up

Im at a loss again, i know one thing when i get this working im burning a *.img file of it

Is it safe to use this image, but downgrade the kernel to 4.14?

EDIT: I built and installed the 4.14.138-bpi-r2-main kernel and it’s working so far.

Have you enabled /etc/dnsmasq.d in /etc/dnsmasq.conf and restarted dnsmasq?

conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d

Try create an invalid line in your interfaces.conf to make sure file gets loaded

Frank Im back at it still fighting it, when you say strong textTry create an invalid line in your interfaces.conf to make sure file gets loadedstrong text Can you give me an example of an invalid line? I have rebooted a number of times that wouldnt force the file to get loaded?

it should be enough if you add the conf-dir line at the end of dnsmasq.conf and restart dnsmasq

service dnsmasq restart

then the file should be loaded

An invalid line should be some random chars at the end of your interfaces.conf

OK I enetered random characters at the end of /etc/dnsmasq.d/interfaces.conf and the command you reference for restart wouldnt work say i had to issue /etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop then did a /etc/init.d/dnsmasq start upon which time i was given an error saying0 : …] Starting dnsmasq (via systemctl): dnsmasq.serviceJob for dnsmasq.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status dnsmasq.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details. failed!

Therein lies the problem i do believe that dnsmasq has issues which would make sense…

Im googling now for recommendations to fix

just remove your random chars from the interfaces.conf :wink:

i only wanted to know if the file is loaded, this is done…so remove the test-chars and restart dnsmasq again…should now without error

It threw the error because of the random characters, i removed them and was able to restart the dnsmasq service. Now to see if starting and stopping it did anything

Still connected but with “No Internet” hmmm

look at the settings on your wifi-client

1. does it have an ip in same subnet as ap0?
  2. is default-route configured (see “ip route” in a terminal app, or maybe in some gui app, but i don’t know any)
  3. can you ping ap0-ip, ip of lanX, ip from your main-router, ip 8.8.8.8 from wifi-client?
  4. is dns working? ping www.google.de shows ip-address?