BPI-R2 need WiFi+5 4.14 or >

Good Morning/Afternoon ALL Im looking for a COMPLETE image (xxx.img) for the BPI-R2 that is based upon either Ubuntu or OpenWRT/LEDE. I am not a programmer or software development kind of guy so i need something that is built as an image already OR step by step instructions on how to get there using a provided baseline. FrankW has been trying to help me and is light years ahead of me in knowledge. My Ultimate goal is using my BPI-R2 as a Complete replacement for my Netgear DGND3700v2 DSL Router/Modem for obvious reasons. At this point I have the 18.04 Ubuntu/4.14.48 build up and working with all 5 ports NO WiFi. Id like to at least get a build with WiFi working that I can download and install on my SD Card and run. Ultimately Id like a LEDE image with the 4 ether lan ports and WiFi working and a wan port that I can start playing with DSL configuring to accept my DSL connecting from ATT. Lofty goal I know. I am willing to help in anyway with my abilities. -Brian-

As i said here Ubuntu 18.4 with kernel 4.14.48

4.14.48 have wifi-driver buildt-in

You need wmt-tools to activate it.

More instructions here: https://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:wlan

Frank i went to the link you provided (More instructions here: https://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:wlan) but when i issue command “apt-get install hostapd dnsmasq” results are:

root@bpi-r2-ubuntu:~# apt-get install hostapd dnsmasq Reading package lists… Done Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done Package dnsmasq is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source However the following packages replace it: dnsmasq-base

E: Unable to locate package hostapd E: Package ‘dnsmasq’ has no installation candidate root@bpi-r2-ubuntu:~#

So i found a reference saying to go into software and updates on Ubuntu and insure Download From: is set to Main Server which it wasn’t so i changed it to Main Server and issues a apt-get update then a apt-get install hostapd and still it is unable to locate the package hostapd. I was able to download the package dnsmasq-base instead of dnsmasq so at least that went well.

Suggestions? (Do you know where its pulling this package from and I can use that location and add it to my repositories?)

Using Google for a fix to install package hostapd has led me know where and I presume I need this before i go any further.

Imho you need to add universe in /etc/apt/sources.list

simply add it after “main” in every line and make apt-get update

Thank You…that did it… moving along with the instructions

The instructions next say copy cfg to /system/etc/firmware/ Im assuming this means to the systems /etc/firmware/ directory? however there is neither an /system/etc/firmware nor an /etc/firmware/ directory should i make a firmware directory within etc and copy the cfg there?

The directory in my wiki is right…by default /system does not exist so create it…

You can simply unpack this to rootfs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MJxfHCpR-ph5YJu-_yMTCH5YG9rL6HHY

Configure hostapd and dnsmasq and then run “wifi.sh”

frank i have made my BPI-R2 configured so you can go in and take a look (remotely), I cannot get the start hostapd working it throws erros Also throws errors when i try to start dnsmasq. If your willing to do this i can email you the IP# and Port#

Thanks Brian