BPI_R doesn't start 3 RGB's LED's on, then everything goes off

Hi guys, I have bought a new BPIR2 router and followed the procedure for start. The SD cart with image is in the slot, everything is checked and plugged : Keyboard, mice, HDMI, On the start, when pushed on during the 10 seconds period, I have the three RGB LED’s on, with continuous light : not flashing, but only lighting on. There is no LED in ON state , nearby the barrel 12V in connector. When letting the start push button button off, the 3 led’s go off and nothing happens, no signal on the screen even during the on button push.

I’m wondering if the BPI has no defect somewhere, as it came very poorly packaged from Aliexpress. I have checked everything, even the voltage on the input ( 12.05 V). Cables are OK, I have plugged also a verified RX-TX to USB module, but it doesn’t respond on the terminal when I push the ON button. Is that a default, or am I doing something wrong ? I have followed the BPI procedure ! Any ideas ? Thank you very much.

Paul.

have you a SD-Card with bootable BPI-R2-OS inserted and pushed the power-button longer than 10 seconds? after ~8 seconds the first output is visible on debug-uart, but hangs if not pressed additional 2 seconds

also if no bootable medium (sd/emmc) is available, there is no output on debug-uart

sorry, only read text below image :confused:

which image do you use and how have you burned it?

Vielen dank für ihre interesse im diese sache, Frank.

That’s being said, I have downloaded the image of ubuntu : 2017-11-28-ubuntu-16.04-mate-desktop-bpi-r2-sd-emmc.img and burned it from my PC linux console. Everything went smoothly up to this point, I have a class10 16GB minSD card:

dd if=/home/paul/Downloads/banana.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=1M

paul@paul-HP-Pavilion-g7-Notebook-PC ~ $ dd if=/home/paul/Downloads/banana.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=1M 7296+0 records in 7296+0 records out 7650410496 bytes (7,7 GB, 7,1 GiB) copied, 642,665 s, 11,9 MB/s

What puzzles me off, literally, is the absence of an output signal of any kind on the monitor, through the HDMI connector when pushing the boot button. And also, no LED light on the SD card , I have seen there is a LED over the SD slot but it doesn’t give sign of any kind when pushing the boot button… There is also a sudden off state when releasing the start push button after slightly more than 10 seconds. So, I’m wondering myself about some potential physical component fail.

Regards, Paul.

BTW … what exactly does this mean, when the 3 RGB leds are on when pushing the Start button ?

To get any output,preloader have to be loaded

Here is your mistake:

dd if=/home/paul/Downloads/banana.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=1M

Should be

dd if=/home/paul/Downloads/banana.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M

If your host-device knows /dev/mmcblk*,all my pc’s recognize sdcard as normal /dev/sd*

preloader (similar to bios for x86) is in first 2kb of the card…you burned the image to first partition…this is behind that point an so the board is not initialized. The leds show only the state of powering the main components

Thank You, Frank. That was perfect and solved my problem. Meanwhile, I also went on the BPI R2 Github repository: https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-R2-bsp , followed their procedure, installed corresponding tools, compiled and updated the image to the latest version. Therefore, beware! You should install also this, to make your compilation successful : “sudo apt-get install u-boot-tools” . Otherwise it will throw an error" “mkimage” command not found - U-Boot images will not be built ". It is not specified in the building guide, otherwise everything goes as it does.

Gruss,

Paul.

To build this project, the following packages are required:

gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf u-boot-tools

in the readme at startpage of git-repo :slight_smile:

btw. you’ll find updated kernel-sources for R2 here: https://github.com/frank-w (4.4. and 4.14 [contains also 4.9])