Banana Pi BPI-R2 new image : Official OpenWRT 18.06.0

I don’t understand this device. They say that support OpenWRT, Linux, Android,… but that is impossible without problems. No WIFI or no Bluetooth, or no MiniPCIe,… continuous hangs…

I have now a Espressobin up and running as my home rooter. This router is more cheaper, support last version of OpenWRT (18.06.1), can boot from HD, I have dns, dhcp, squid proxy, e2guardian, network supervision, … with good performance.

Please, don’t sell a router that not is a router neither is another thing…

Espresspbom 40$, Banana PI R2 140$.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Use the Getting Started Guide to Learn how to properly flash

http://wiki.banana-pi.org/Getting_Started_with_R2
The initially provided Ubuntu Mate image from the Getting Started Wiki is bootable from SD including HDMI support but you will need TTL->USB adapter for UART interface to set emmc partition info for OpenWRT.

You flip the onboard switch from EMMC -> SD and insert your MicroSD card that you flashed with either dd or bpi-copy tools and you will boot into Ubuntu Mate.

From here what I did was take the latest shared OpenWRT EMMC images and put them on a usb thumb drive and plugged into the board while booted into Ubuntu Mate.

After that, follow the instructions from the top post here.

Hello,

I have ordered recently a Banana PI R2 board that a want to use it as a router/firewall. I want to know if anyone had used it for OpenWRT and what are the current limitations or which Linux OS has the best support for this board.

I have read that the onboard wifi chip MT6625L has a very bad transfer rate and I thought that using an external MTK MT7612 2x2 2.4G&5G 802.11ac/b/g/n 867Mbps mPCIe card will be better.

Also I want to buy an extra 5dbi antenna because the box comes with only 1 piece.

Is this model compatible with the Banana PI R2 board ?

Thanks,

hi, Can we do the same but with the os on SD card. dont want to use emmc… ? Thanks for answer.

Is anyone using this image? Is this image running stable? If it is stable, I also plan to use it, mainly to install the official source software is more convenient.

OpenWRT don’t work and is very expensive. If you want a board as router don’t buy this board. I am waiting and trying for several months and nothing…

Make sure you have this Patch if using dual-gmac-patches: OpenWrt 18.06 malformed ip packets at bridged interface

Do you have any solution?

Yes. I compile my own image. It works. Update.My image have a problem. Many system packages (kmod-*.ipk) is empty.

That’s normal as the modules you’re talking about are built-in into the kernel. OpenWRT build system generates an “empty” kmod packages for such modules - this way you can have them “installed” thus satisfying deps other packages might have on these.