Android 6] How to mount a hard disk via SATA?

I prepared 4TB 3.5" HDD and connected HDD and R2 with SATA cable.

Can I make R2 recognize HDD and mount it ?

try to mount it manually first.

grep 'sd' /var/log/syslog # to get the device-number /dev/sda, /dev/sdb,..
mount /dev/sdxx /mnt
1 Like

Is it for Android ? ? ? ?

You’ve added adroid later,right?

But i don’t know if these messages appear in logcat (tested not with android). Mounting is basicly the same.you need rootrights and mayne additional parameters for mount

1 Like

Have added ‘Anroid 6]’ at the subject later. But Have written it in the Android section at first.

I also guess it should be the same way. So I am looking for what path I need to mount.

OK, I will try it.

btw. Connecting a 3.5" HDD can cause instability-issues and non-booting problems because of the current drawn from board

OMG !!

Is the booting issue with 3.5" HDD and R2 board for Android ? or also for other OS ?

Then what can R2 board be used for ?

I selected R2 board because of SATA connection of 2.5" or 3.5" HDD.

I have looked forward to test it with R2 board and make mass production finally.

Have been watching BPI from last year but can’t be sure BPI boards supports the functions BPI boards have in specification published …

officially the r2 is tested with 2.5" hdd which needs less current than 3.5"…you can try it, but maybe the current available from board is not enough so powering have to be done separately.

i have a ssd connected…

r2 is a router-board…it can be used as NAS, but this is not the intended usage

btw. why android?

https://www.robert-sperling.de/en/cubietruck-using-android-system-and-data-on-sata-harddisk/ may help for mounting, if it boots with drive connected

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

You know, Android is better for some SW application development.

It doesn’t look easy to mount HDD with SATA even though referencing the information you gave.

I think need to consider other OS and external power of HDD, too.

Will try with other ways…

not my opinion, but ok if it’s yours :slight_smile:

in my eyes android makes only sense as direct (hdmi connected to r2) media-player because the multimedia-drivers for SOCs. thats why i asked you, what do you want to do with your R2 (router, NAS, mediaplayer, …)

1 Like

Yes, Android is not much better for HW-level development, I think.

However I guess it has some advantages for user-level application development such as many .apk apps.

I am making the R2 board like NAS which have a customized application.

So above all, for ‘like NAS’ it should support additional HDD with SATA.

As I said, the application development I am trying is easier for Android.

Much more or better user-level application projects supports Android as something like open source projects.

For the HDD support like NAS and my application, other OS, an additional power HW module and another way of application development will be needed, I think.

you have many apps for debian.based OS like ubuntu on the repositories…

you have developed android-apps before, right? i’ve tried it and failed because of the massive toolchain and no java-knowledge :stuck_out_tongue:

i have created applications for native linux-systems (gtk for frontend) in c++ and some commandline-applications (c,c++) without any IDE or aditional toolchain (except for crosscompile)…i think this is easier, but android-IDE may give some help for frontend-creation.

1 Like

Yope, I can also develop Android app. But it doesn’t matter. I don’t care of kinds of platform or framework.

Android’s advantage is the popularity, I think.

Huge users are using smartphone. And Android is big portion in smartphone.

So many Android applications are being developed and it makes smartphone users use them.

There are some applications for smartphone(Android or iOS) specifically. This is what I said as Android’s advantage.

As you said, linux or other OS has the great for application development, too. However sometimes those are not easy satisfy some mobile specifity.

Nevertheless there will be a way in linux for the application.

simply a web-service (perl/php-based on lighttpd/apache) which calls a local script to do the things you want…so you have easily a smartphone-ready-remotecontrol without digging into any client-platform

2 Likes

Yes. But maybe I am trying a non-general application. So it can have some difficulties in linux.

However I am supposed to dig it in linux.