Hi, We purchased 100 pieces BPI-M4 RTD1395 and are trying to get the USB host (USB 2.0) running using an USB uvc camera (elp-usbfhd01m, 2mb pixel usb camera module) and the BPI-M4 built-in USB WiFi (RTL8821CU, 6221E-UUC module). All different uvc-cameras work, however the USB host dies after 1-2 minutes (no further USB communication is possible) while WiFi is activated.
- BPI-M4 v1.0 (RTD1395) with the built-in USB WiFi chip (RTL8821CU)
- Linux: 2020-05-18-raspbian-stretch-bpi-m4-sd-emmc.img.zip (https://download.banana-pi.dev/d/ca025d76afd448aabc63/?p=%2FImages%2FBPI-M4%2Flinux&mode=list) with BPI-M4 RTD1395 Kernel 4.9.119 drivers
- ‘uname -a’ gives:
Linux bpi-iot-ros-ai 4.9.119-BPI-M4-Kernel #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 18 10:41:36 HKT 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux
- uvc cam: elp-usbfhd01m as well as other tested models (“dmesg” and “lsusb” logs further below)
How to reproduce:
Boot into above Linux image.
Activate WiFi network (do not use wired Ethernet) and log into the Banana PI via WiFi and SSH. Optionally, turn off WiFi power saving:
iw wlan0 set power_save off
- Attach USB cam - “dmesg” shows: plug_in.txt (2.2 KB)
“lsusb -t” shows:
verbose “lsusb -v” shows: lsusb.txt (41.4 KB)
“v4l2-ctl --list-devices” shows:
USB 2.0 Camera (usb-xhci-hcd.4.auto-1.4): /dev/video0
- Run test command (which streams from camera to nothing (/dev/null), “usbtop” indicates speed is about 16 MBit/sec):
streamer -q -c /dev/video0 -f rgb24 -s 320x240 -r 10 -t 00:30:00 -o /dev/null
After 1-2 minutes the USB host dies (no further USB communication is possible) - dmesg shows:
> [ 847.874393] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.4.auto: xHCI host not responding to stop endpoint command. > [ 847.874416] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.4.auto: Assuming host is dying, halting host.
full dmesg log: usb_load.txt (14.7 KB)
This is the location in the Kernel code that stops the USB host:
We tested with different USB camera modules (all tested camera modules work perfectly on a laptop), different BPI-M4 boards, additional cooling, even added additional USB hubs with external power - same results.
It would be fine if we can find a solution as we would like to use the 100 pieces Banana BPI-M4 in our robots with an USB camera.