Wich image works better

According to all issues and faulty images @sinovoip provides in the download center i have a question wich better image works fine on M3 please give me information about improvments made and in progress about ubuntu and android.

It’s not the question which image you use but to understand how you’re able to get latest fixes (Kernel and u-boot). For example when you’ve to use an old Allwinner BSP kernel (as it’s the case with M3, its A83T receives only very limited attention by the linux-sunxi devs) then you want to be able to fix things by adjusting script.bin.

While this is possible with nearly every OS image for Allwinner boards, SinoVoip still refuses to make this possible. We’ve told them many times how to do (also over at the older forums at bananapi.com) and in the meantime they even spent some time on implementing it. But they do it wrong, their ‘documentation’ is just another forum post that got lost already and both instructions and their code used don’t work (the ‘SinoVoip experience’ – first they waste their time by coding and writing wrong, then they do not test and therefore they again waste your time since you try out stuff that doesn’t work):

I created a hybrid Armbian/SinoVoip OS image based on Debian Jessie a few days ago and also tried to explain how you’re able to fix the above (so you can really benefit from script.bin/uEnvt.txt and also do kernel updates without recompiling the whole BSP every time):

Please keep in mind: By following the steps outlined there you learn how to combine any armhf rootfs with a skeleton that is then upgradeable. SinoVoip provides the infrastructure to do kernel/u-boot updates (but no one can use it since no one knows). They also prepared the ability to use uEnv.txt/script.bin and if you figured out where the code looks for what and fix their syntax error then this already works. I tried to explain both in the other forum thread.

Then it’s up to you which ‘distro’ you use since it’s well known how you do this on ARM boards: Combine the skeleton containing bootloader+kernel with a clean rootfs. But please keep in mind what separates a good OS image from a bad one: Things like regeneration of SSH keys, automatic partition resize to make use of the whole card, password/user generation and no pre-defined users, correct THS/thermal settings that influence performance a lot and so on…

The last time I tested a Raspbian image from here I was really shocked.

2 Likes